Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ejohnnyk
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Phone performance after software update

I decided to apply the software update that I kept getting prompts for. Prior to the update, it seemed that the screen and the media server were the two biggest items that were eating up the battery, but I was getting maybe 6-7 hours of usage before the battery was running low. Now that I've applied the update, the Android System has been using the battery. This was the same problem I had with the Epic, and I could only get 4 hours of battery use before the battery had to be recharged.

Default Re: Phone performance after software update

What baseband, kernel and ROM versions were you on, and what are your current versions?

Swyped from my SPH-L710

Had that same issue when I updated.
    I rooted and debloated the phone, cleared the browser/Gallery cache/data, left the phone overnight with wifi on.
    I did that just in case all the Media usage was caused by gallery trying to re-update its cache, which I have large amounts of pics in Picasa.

This worked for me. Yesterday I got 1.5 days worth of battery, at my regular usage.

I had problems initially with dropped calls every half hour or so. I then downloaded a signal booster and the problem stopped. Yesterday I applied the update because it kept bothering me too, and now I can't talk on the phone. It drops the calls every minute or so. I have a useless phone. I'm so sick of this Galaxy 3.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Baseband is VPLI3 and kernel is 3.0.8. Phone is still stock. Update also seems to have added extra apps.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Go to Settings-> Data Usage

Scroll down and see what apps are using data.

Swyped from my SPH-L710

I've been having a bunch of problems and have decided to hard reset when I get home from work tonight.

First, I lost all copy/paste functionality in the stock Messaging app, Google Voice and Chrome.

I have a folder on a home screen with Dropbox and Google Drive in it, and the folder is constantly opening even when I'm on another home screen.

Finally, the phone dials the same contact several times per day without me prompting it to do so.

No matter the Android phone, and I've owned about four or five over the years, I always have to hard reset after a software update. Annoying.

But I love the S3!

I can't get on Facebook unless I'm on WiFi, since the update. Is that the update screwing something up or is it just a Facebook issue? I really don't know enough about this whole process to make a judgement.
    Live every day like it is your last...because it COULD be!

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyPhone View Post
    I can't get on Facebook unless I'm on WiFi, since the update. Is that the update screwing something up or is it just a Facebook issue? I really don't know enough about this whole process to make a judgement.
    I would uninstall the app and reload it.
    Thanked by:
    LoveMyPhone likes this.

Did you disable Sprint's speed optimizer? Its enabled by default. It turns wifi on by itself to see if it can hop on an open wifi connection, improving your data speeds but could mess with your voice radio. Once you disable it dont go and check the settings again, else it will enable
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post
    Did you disable Sprint's speed optimizer? Its enabled by default. It turns wifi on by itself to see if it can hop on an open wifi connection, improving your data speeds but could mess with your voice radio. Once you disable it dont go and check the settings again, else it will enable
    You can disable it using titanium backup as well. BTW... It's Sprint Connection Optimizer.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    You can disable it using titanium backup as well. BTW... It's Sprint Connection Optimizer.
    You know the funny part is mine has been Perma disabled since the update lol . I don't mind because I'd turn it off anyway but this is what it looks like.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC fourms
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Phone performance after software update-uploadfromtaptalk1349795268203.jpg  
    Banned

Global Posts
    833 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth [4.2.2]

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    You know the funny part is mine has been Perma disabled since the update lol . I don't mind because I'd turn it off anyway but this is what it looks like.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC fourms
    How did you do that lol?