what happened to 4G roll out for sprint?

smileshappy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
What happened to 4G/Wimax roll out?
I have not heard much lately of new cities being added. Seems like all you here is Verizon rolling out new cities. Like on the news for the Detroit area. Verizon 4G to roll out for Metro Detroit.

Makes you wonder if they plan on switching to LTE. Maybe LTE is better on battery life?

Curious to what everyone's thoughts are.

cooknn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Wimax is coming on in Fort Myers, Florida. I'm in Miami this week enjoying Sprint 4G awesomeness. Over 6Mbps last time I checked.

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I really don't think that the network has anything to do with battery life :confused:

Well WiMax uses a lot more battery than 3G. We won't really know the battery implications until the Thunderbolt is released. Either way I'd much rather have LTE.

Sent from my HTC EVO with Tapatalk Pro

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
What happened to 4G/Wimax roll out?
I have not heard much lately of new cities being added. Seems like all you here is Verizon rolling out new cities. Like on the news for the Detroit area. Verizon 4G to roll out for Metro Detroit.

Makes you wonder if they plan on switching to LTE. Maybe LTE is better on battery life?

Curious to what everyone's thoughts are.

Yes, Sprint is considering switching to LTE. Over the next 4-6 months they are weighing their options.

smileshappy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a feeling they will switch to LTE. Just makes business sense in a way. All the cell phone companies are going to it. Heck even Metro Pcs is using LTE.
It makes a business case... for the roaming part when out on the road.

But if/when... how will Sprint handle the current customers. I am sure there will be a big outcry if all of a sudden their EVO's won't work on LTE. Wonder if it is just an easy chip replacement? We could send the phone in to Sprint... they remove the wimax chip and install the LTE chip and send it back to cust. I actually would probably be willing to pay $100 or less for something like that if it were even possible.

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
When and if it happens, I suspect it will be phased in over time, so that those of us who already have 4G will have a year or so warning. In a way it will be a pity, I'm just picking up a usable Wimax 4G signal on my EVO in my town for the first time (and there is still no official announcement of 4G service here).

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Well WiMax uses a lot more battery than 3G. We won't really know the battery implications until the Thunderbolt is released. Either way I'd much rather have LTE.

CNet reports the 1st Metro PCS LTE phone, the Craft, barely make it through a day without charging and if used a lot may require recharging mid day. It might be the phone or it might be the LTE. Anyone know for sure?