"Application cannot be installed in the default install location"

TxAndroidGuy

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone.

I have recently been getting errors lately saying "Application cannot be installed in the default install location" when trying to update apps. I've had them before but have been able to download and update apps later but now it is not updating. I have tried downloading new apps and no luck either. I am unrooted, running stock 4.0.3, and do not have an SD card installed. Does anyone know what is causing this problem? And how to fix it?

And while updating Google Maps, I got another message saying "insufficient storage available" yet I have 9.92 GB of space available. Any clues as to what's causing that? Thanks,

Adam

Dr Triffid

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: "Application cannot be installed in the default install locat

Check the storage numbers in the system settings. You may have 9.92 GB available, but that's not the partition where the apps are installed. That area has 1.97 GB total, and a couple of large games can take a huge chunk of that. It really does look like you've used up that space.

TxAndroidGuy

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info! You are right and the application area had around 200 mb left. Dumb question, can I increase that size and shrink the size of another portion like audio? I tried to see if there was a menu to do that but couldn't find one. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Dr Triffid

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

You can't really change the partition size, but you do have the option of moving individual app's to the SD card. Some work there, some don't.

Go to "Manage apps" and select an app. If it's eligible, there will be a "Move to SD card" button.

TxAndroidGuy

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

Great! Thanks! I'll buy an SD card later and see if that helps. I appreciate it!

TxAndroidGuy

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Just an update: After one week of having installed an SD card and moving some of the larger apps to the card, I haven't had any problems. Thanks for the tip!

Dr Triffid

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I've got the same problem..have any solution?

Other than what I mentioned above, not really. Move apps to SD card if eligible; delete big honkin' apps if you're not using them.

Sent from my year-old SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums

blb1980

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Screenshot_2012-10-13-01-23-03.png Why can't I install apps now? I'm getting this same error message and it seems to me I have 1.37 GB or 1. Something. I understand about moving apps to the sd card. I had to take my sd card out because my phone kept rebooting back to back and would not stop.

Dr Triffid

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Between that and the SD card problem, I would consider resetting the phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums

blb1980

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah does a card class have anything to do with the problems I'm having with the one
Phone restarting? It seems once I put a certain amount of space on it, it starts rebooting. I found out today about class 2, 6, 10. I have no idea what class mine is. I bought it cheap Off eBay year or two ago.

Dr Triffid

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Some say it does; others disagree. I had a problem like that once, but it was because I did a straight copy from one card to another. When it occurred, I reformatted the card and then put only the media files back on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums

blb1980

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah its weird because today I can't install scramble with friends 18MB. Can't install sky drive which is about 2 or 3 MB but I can install dropbox which is about 3MB

terry tay

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
i had similar problem, resolved by following.

go to settings, go to storage,. go to preferred install location, untick SD card

Hello everyone.

I have recently been getting errors lately saying "Application cannot be installed in the default install location" when trying to update apps. I've had them before but have been able to download and update apps later but now it is not updating. I have tried downloading new apps and no luck either. I am unrooted, running stock 4.0.3, and do not have an SD card installed. Does anyone know what is causing this problem? And how to fix it?

And while updating Google Maps, I got another message saying "insufficient storage available" yet I have 9.92 GB of space available. Any clues as to what's causing that? Thanks,

Adam

G Mart

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Help me i cant install any apps ......last week i can still install them and i deleted some apps.....after that it says that application is not installed... but the app is compatible on my phone

Attachments

• SC20121226-080519.png
    SC20121226-080519.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 718
  • SC20121226-080536.png
    SC20121226-080536.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 715
Last edited:

bagdosz

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
i have same problem but now it has been solve.
in my case the main couse of the poblem is folder with name .android scure in intenal memory
. not in system memory.
open default fileman type . (dot) in search box . if u found that folder try to delete .. if cant to delete the folder . email me i will send you the step how to remove the folder.
bagdosz indonesia

Chantai Allen

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello i am also having the same problem with downloading apps, i do not have an S.D card and i definitely have enough memory on my phone. I have already tried deleting other apps but they still wont download

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa