Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Nexus S Market is T-Mobile branded :(



    Yeah, thats not what I expected to see on my unlocked Google branded phone.

    Phil said it best -- that's horse-doo-doo. Bad form Google, very.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  2. #2  
    Chris Kerrigan's Avatar

    Posts
    3,877 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Well...so much for "Pure Google" -- Yep, let the floodgates to the backlash begin in 5...4...

    New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
  3. #3  
    donatom3's Avatar

    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    661 Global Posts

    Default

    Doesn't the market on any android phone figure out what carrier you are on and put their tab? I'm on an EVO with Cyanogen Mod 6 and it has a Sprint tab.

    Otherwise there does not appear to be any other special branding on that screen shot.

    I don't see the problem here at all. I'm sure a Nexus S unlocked on another carrier would show a different carrier tab for the last one.
  4. #4  

    Default

    what happens if it's switched to a different carrier, does the tab just picked up the name or is T-mo hard-coded into that market app?
  5. #5  

    Default

    In a way i was shocked... but it is mainly for their network here in the US. Most people will be signing up with T-Mobile... so they have to mark their spot. I just want those dual chips, so we can have GSM/CDMA/LTE in one phone. That would be epic.
  6. #6  

    Default

    Neither my Nexus One nor my Milestone have ever had anything other than 'Downloads' in that position. That is kind of BS there Google. Easily fixed for the rooted I'm sure, but still bad form.
  7. #7  

    Default

    I saw that too, really don't like it, now it is an additional tap to get to my downloaded / purchased apps.
  8. #8  

    Default

    I was just in my local Best Buy and the demo Nexus S they had on display did in fact show "Downloads" and was NOT carrier branded.

    However, this particular unit was also not registered on the T-Mobile network but was connected to AT&T because it had Cingular APN settings. I tried to register it on T-Mobile so i could compare signal strength with my G2 and it failed every time i tried to register it.

    This particular Best Buy also doesn't sell T-Mobile phones so that might have something to do with why that demo unit couldn't register onto T-Mobile.
  9. #9  
    chaz_uk's Avatar

    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Have you tried the newer market on it? Hopefully it goes away then.
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus | Asus Nexus 7 | Samsung Chromebook 5 550
    Android - ChromeOS - Google
  10. #10  
    Smokexz's Avatar

    Posts
    900 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I honestly do not really care, however it should be fixed.

    Sent from my Nexus S
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10
  11. #11  

    Default

    My Captivate says ATT on the tab. I'm sure whichever carrier you get that's the tab. Still with a 15min try or buy on apps the market ain't going to be getting much business
    Never forget my Brothers and Sisters that gave their lives on 09-11-01. FDNY/EMS, NYPD, PAPD and the Pentagon. Also those who are still dying to this day.
  12. #12  
    kgeissler's Avatar

    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted 4.2.1

    Default

    I remember reading somewhere today that it only displays "t-mobile" if the SIM card is in, otherwise it says "downloads".
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raven71 View Post
    My Captivate says ATT on the tab. I'm sure whichever carrier you get that's the tab. Still with a 15min try or buy on apps the market ain't going to be getting much business
    The Captivate has an ATT tab because it's a ATT branded phone. Since the Nexus S is "pure Google" and unlocked it should not have a T-Mobile tab, just like the Nexus One didn't have one.

    Still, doesn't stop me from wanting one, but I want to see the CES phones before spending $529.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raven71 View Post
    My Captivate says ATT on the tab. I'm sure whichever carrier you get that's the tab. Still with a 15min try or buy on apps the market ain't going to be getting much business
    All the other unlocked phones I have here don't have a branded market, regardless of the SIM. This one does. This means, you can only download and install apps that the carrier hasn't blocked.

    Not a big deal with T-mobile, but if an unlocked Nexus S with an AT&T SIM card has an AT&T butchered market, that's a serious problem.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  15. #15  

    Default

    Is it really that big of a deal? Seems a little silly to me.

    OMG, there is a hint of T-Mobile on this phone!

    I can understand if there was a bunch of their own apps and crap on there but just a title buried in the App store seems petty. IMO.
  16. #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post


    Yeah, thats not what I expected to see on my unlocked Google branded phone.

    Phil said it best -- that's horse-doo-doo. Bad form Google, very.
    I asked that very same question when Engadget posted their hands on...
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xm_jdm View Post
    Is it really that big of a deal? Seems a little silly to me.

    OMG, there is a hint of T-Mobile on this phone!

    I can understand if there was a bunch of their own apps and crap on there but just a title buried in the App store seems petty. IMO.
    So you're OK with apps missing from the Market, on an unlocked Google dev phone, because a carrier has blocked them?

    Google PdaNet + T-Mobile
    or
    Where + AT&T

    If I wanted a carrier locked Market I would have bought a carrier locked phone.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  18. #18  
    Smokexz's Avatar

    Posts
    900 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Its true what you say Jerry, however it probably isn't something that bothers him... which is why it doesn't really bother him.

    Sent from my Nexus S
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokexz View Post
    Its true what you say Jerry, however it probably isn't something that bothers him... which is why it doesn't really bother him.

    Sent from my Nexus S
    I just need something to complain about lol. Minus the USB connector issue with the first unit, I'm already in love with this thing

    Galaxy S hardware and unfettered Google software = nerdgasm.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  20. #20  
    igotsanevo4g's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    I just need something to complain about lol. Minus the USB connector issue with the first unit, I'm already in love with this thing

    Galaxy S hardware and unfettered Google software = nerdgasm.
    Lol.

    Funny to see t-mo, the most laid back of the carriers throwing that on there. Strange, and un-needed.

    Btw, hows the no sd card or 4G going?
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
  21. #21  

    Default

    Be curious if there's ever an official statement or anything about it.

    I wonder, though, are there two SKUs for the Nexus S? I know it's supposed to be the same phone either way, but maybe there's one part number for the one that's purchased outright and another one for the one on a T-Mobile contract?

    Perhaps the outright purchased SKU doesn't have the branding?

    -Mark
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default

    It's just fine....and twice as fast as my Evo.

    #OhNoHeDin't lmao
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  23. #23  
    igotsanevo4g's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,558 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    It's just fine....and twice as fast as my Evo.

    #OhNoHeDin't lmao
    Ouch. Stuck me right in the gut with that one.

    We will see whats up when the AOSP branch is released and the CM team gets ahold of it... hehe
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
  24. #24  
    dan1431's Avatar

    Posts
    292 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

    Default

    At my local Worst Buy, I convinced the kid at the mobile area to let me stick my at&t SIM in an unlocked S and I checked the market.

    There was no sign of an at&t tab, I wonder if it a T-Mobile thing.

    Dan
  25. #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dan1431 View Post
    At my local Worst Buy, I convinced the kid at the mobile area to let me stick my at&t SIM in an unlocked S and I checked the market.

    There was no sign of an at&t tab, I wonder if it a T-Mobile thing.

    Dan
    Must be. I just tried a german prepaid SIM card, and the "T-Mobile" tab is replaced with "Downloads".
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B