The Infuse Stepchild

ShortFuse321

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I've had the Infuse for about 3 months now and I really like it a lot. However, I sort of feel like it is Samsung 's "stepchild." I mean, it never gets (meaningful) updates, no fixes for its few issues, retail stores don't carry accessories for it and no one I know has one. I'm new to android so maybe this is just the nature of the "ecosystem" that I'm in now but it is a bit frustrating. Does anyone else feel this way, like you have a forgotten phone? Is this normal for Samsung...or for ATT or for whoever is responsible?

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I feel your pain. I love the Infuse. It feels as if they're not providing any updates or accessories because it will take away the thunder of the GS2. Most people don't know the difference between a single core and dual core. If the Infuse had gingerbread, it would be just as attractive as the GS2. For day to day activities, the Infuse is fast, capable phone.

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
That's just the way android devices are. If you want constant updates, get a Google phone. There are way too many devices out now for any company to keep up with updates. Simply the reason why there are newer, better phones that come out every couple months. You want Android and its hardware to slow down for updates? If you're waiting on at&t/manufacturers to release everything you're going to wait for a long ass time. You're on the wrong platform if you don't even know what the great devs at XDA offer all of us. They are our Robin Hoods giving our poor phones the food and energy to be better.

Also, if it's not an iPhone, lots of your friends (if non techy or apple fanboys) won't have one of ours. I left iPhone because both my parents own one (to my encouragement) and couldn't feel like a power user anymore haha.

Accessories, i'm sure there are if they sell the phone as well (AT&T, Best buy, Frys, Costco?) If you're talking about more choices? You're on the wrong platform as well. Only Apple and it's universal 30pin port for all mobile devices make it easy for manufacturers to make so many. With androids different manufacturers and port locations there is nothing universal about it. So they make a few per device.

This is why tech industry and bloggers continue to call it fragmented. But what it does do is give you choices. Something Apple can't give us. One choice a year in a closed ecosystem? Forget it.

As for the Infuse, compared to GS2. To me it's like when I had the 3GS and the 4 came out. Sure I was jealous of the new sexy, but what I had in my hand was still VERY capable of doing what I needed to do. Speed was still there, still smooth. Same with the Infuse, you will not see much difference. GS2 is incremental in hardware. What's a split second, opening up an app? You will see difference in heavy 3d gaming and better flash experience of course but is that all to a device that will mainly text,email, phone? Though you won't see me persuading an upgrader to choose a Infuse over the GS2. You crazy? Get the GS2! For us Infuse owners though, if you're don't mind paying the full price for GS2, go ahead but I would wait out on something more, like an LTE phone or quad-core that's coming next year? Why not give our device a chance.

This is coming from someone, though, with a custom rom installed. If you're not on one, it's not being used to it's full potential (I say to this with whatever official at&t update ever released or will release) and you maybe won't see what I see in the experience of this phone.

xfile

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I have only had mine for a month and really like it. I did watch the forums for months before getting it. I agree it seems like a wonderful, but neglected phone.

mbnocx

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I came from a BlackBerry and the Infuse is the first Android phone I have owned. I love this phone and I have never thought of looking back. Talk about lack of updates, BlackBerry was all about that. And their newest devices were outdated compared to what was out on other platforms. I do not like Apple so I never even considered an iPhone. Although the GS2 is going to be a great phone and yes it is better than the Infuse, the differences are not enough for me to dislike what I have. As 631735 said, I am also running a custom ROM which makes the device even better. I am looking forward to the official GB update not because I will install it but because I want to see what the XDA crew can do with it. :)

The only item I wish existed for the Infuse currently in the form of an accessory would be an extended battery that did not require a new back cover which does not fit any current cases. Although I am used to charging my phone frequently whenever I find it necessary, it would be nice to go a full day without even thinking about plugging the device in. Otherwise, the Infuse is a great phone and I regret nothing about purchasing it.

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't regret the purchase at all. I have a pretty solid understanding of Android and the carriers and how they operate. It would be nice if these updates were more timely, especially for such a great device. I tried rooting and was unsuccessful. After three failed attempts, I decided to stick with stock. I could never get the ROM installed.

Scottyb

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I just installed the Infused Gingerbread rom and few days ago and it made a world of difference in how my phone runs. Battery life is still all over the place but my phone is runs buttery smooth! Now if I was buying today I would go gs2 for sure, but I'm still completely happy with my Infuse. That is until next spring when I have another upgrade available on my account. :)

Sent from my Samsung Infuse