2.1 and battery... unhappy marriage?

herothc

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
So I was trying to read through the 2.1 thread to track down anyone else that is having issues with battery life after update, but 500+ posts later of people only caring about live wallpapers got kind of old.

On 1.5 I was able to get close to 30 hours on my phone with moderate usage, and now I'm lucky if I get 16. I am running taskiller (free version) just because I adapted to using it on 1.5 and had a positive experience with its function.

I did my best to follow the setting reccomendations given in one of the articles posted on the site, but I'm still not having very much luck. If I surf the web or play a game for more than an hour, I pretty much have to not touch my phone for the rest of my day unless it's for sms or I have to call someone.

My exerience with updates on bb would lead me to believe that this may improve with usage, but I as this is my first update on my hero I don't really count on that.

Any advice?

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I read a great article on Taskillers and Android. I uninstalled it and after 2 weeks my phone was faster than with the killer. Why ? Because Android learns what to end and what not to end. Also what 2.1 do you have? Are you rooted? I find that Beezys Koolaid Sugarfree 2.1 seems to run well and not kill my battery. i also flashed the new radio.

herothc

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I read a great article on Taskillers and Android. I uninstalled it and after 2 weeks my phone was faster than with the killer. Why ? Because Android learns what to end and what not to end. Also what 2.1 do you have? Are you rooted? I find that Beezys Koolaid Sugarfree 2.1 seems to run well and not kill my battery. i also flashed the new radio.

I am not rooted, and I'm using last week's leak, which I'm really happy with -- except for the battery. I will try going without the task killer for a couple weeks and see if it improves. Is there anything else you have in mind?

kelmar

May 10, 2010
Visit site

The new radio caused nothing but problems for me... also THIS seems to be helping.

philb#AC

May 14, 2010
Visit site
extended life battery on Ebay, I found it carries me through the day of hard use. I have always ran my smartphones hard and needed extra batteries, on the Pre 3 batteries a day was normal, my Berry was about the same. I have the extended life plus the battery that came with Hero, I also ordered two more for those days when I really ru in hard watching movies and/or playing on apps that drain. I believe in using the phone hard, I give every phone about a 1 year life span in my hands-they last longer I just tend to update to something new in a year.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
This won't help if your Time Without Signal isn't 50%, which it shouldn't be (although I haven't checked with an official based ROM, yet). My battery is at 87% now being unplugged for over 5 hours with alarms going off.

kelmar

May 10, 2010
Visit site
hmmm this is very interesting..I don't really have a battery problem, but how much did this help you?

Cell Standby was 50%+ and TWS was 50%

Now around 25% and 20%.

I've been running music, youtube videos, internet, GPS/Bluetooth/Wifi CONSTANTLY since 6:30 this morning and still have over 50% left.

This won't help if your Time Without Signal isn't 50%, which it shouldn't be (although I haven't checked with an official based ROM, yet). My battery is at 87% now being unplugged for over 5 hours with alarms going off.

I've had this problem no matter what ROM I use.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

I'm no Sprint Expert, nor a cellphone expert. I know that its a Sprint PRI, but not quite sure why its happening to you still. I have the 1.70_003 PRI and don't have the issue with signal being at 50%. I also updated my radio last night and so far so good today.