A few question about my new S5 from a die hard Apple guy......

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Switched over to a GS5 from an iPhone 5s a few weeks ago. I have been annoyed with Apple for quite some time. Thought it was time to give Android a try. I have been reading, researching, and watching videos, trying to avoid starting a new thread asking dumb questions. I have to though, sorry.......

1. Why is it that when I save photos from Google images to my photos, I can not send them via text message? I tried sending them to my wife's iPhone 5, but it wouldn't let me. I then sent them in an email and she could not view them? Never had that problem on my iPhone.

2. I tried using NILS for lock screen notifications, sort of like my iPhone, but it was too annoying with all of the alerts having to choose this and that. I thought they would be satisfied and go away after a few days of answering them, but no luck. I then tried another app, SwipeLock or something like that. It was EXTREMELY buggy. Is there no easy way to see what emails I get, messenger alerts, or game alerts without unlocking my phone? I figured out how to see texting alerts, though it is pretty crappy the way you can't read more than the first 5 words.

3. Volume. Is there any way to get it to stop alerting me that listening to loud music will hurt my ears when I try to turn the volume up? I have the safe listening turned off (or what ever it is called). SUPER annoying.

4. I used Samsung Smart Switch to transfer everything over from my iPhone, which worked great except for my "Notes". They are no where to be found. Any way to transfer them over without doing it by hand?

Overall I like the phone, but it is buggy and laggy. I'm not going to sugar coat it at all, sorry. I really like the larger screen and the better battery life. I was hoping for more battery life though after hearing everyone's raves about it. I am getting about 10 hours on average, with heavy use. I usually got about 6 out of my iPhone. Pathetic. I have tried everything suggested on forums and YouTube to try and get better battery life out of the GS5.

Any help would be fantastic.

Regards,
Tim
I can't answer all of your questions as I personally do not own a Galaxy S5 but have never really liked the UI either, Samsung gives Android a bad name with its laggy user interface and I will help you with speeding up your phone dramatically.

Some of the scrolling lags you make be facing on Android right now will be fixed with Android L which is going to be released in a few months.

But other than apps as far as UI interaction goes to speed the animations up, go to settings > Developer Options > Turn On > Scroll Down > and change animations to what I did in the following image:

ebapuvas.jpg

If you don't have developer options, go into settings > about phone > and keep tapping the build number till developer options are enabled.

Okay, now for lockscreen notifications I would recommend waiting for Android L which brings locksreen motivations but if you want to view lockscreen notifications download this app:

aqujazy6.jpg

For a much faster user interface, use Google's own launcher which is extremely fast:

e2ahu3ug.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Kellie Norcott

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi Timmy,

I had a problem when I first switched from my iPhone 5 a couple of weeks ago with the messaging app. I wasn't getting or able to send photos for some reason, to or from folks who do have an iPhone. I discovered that there is a "known issue" when you switch from an iPhone and you used iMessage as your default (the free messaging between Apple devices). I had to go back into my old phone, turn off iMessage, and wait 24 hours until the squirrels in the aether caught up to the change - then everything was perfect. I got this advice straight from the seller. I hope it helps!

joe watson1

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi Timmy,

I had a problem when I first switched from my iPhone 5 a couple of weeks ago with the messaging app. I wasn't getting or able to send photos for some reason, to or from folks who do have an iPhone. I discovered that there is a "known issue" when you switch from an iPhone and you used iMessage as your default (the free messaging between Apple devices). I had to go back into my old phone, turn off iMessage, and wait 24 hours until the squirrels in the aether caught up to the change - then everything was perfect. I got this advice straight from the seller. I hope it helps!

I think that's been covered already. Hoping to find out what actually fixes this problem because I'm about to be in the same boat.

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I think that's been covered already. Hoping to find out what actually fixes this problem because I'm about to be in the same boat.

You are correct. That has been covered several times in this thread.

I attempted to fix the issue by restoring the phone to the factory settings. The messages app was still messed up. Something isn't right in the coding on that phone. Samsung sent me a new phone yesterday. Everything is working perfect now. I mean everything. Working as it should. Thank you to everyone for trying to help me sort it out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
1. Why is it that when I save photos from Google images to my photos, I can not send them via text message?

I am using Go SMS Pro and I send pictures via SMS and MMS all the time, no issues at all.

2. I tried using NILS for lock screen notifications, sort of like my iPhone, but it was too annoying with all of the alerts having to choose this and that. I thought they would be satisfied and go away after a few days of answering them, but no luck. I then tried another app, SwipeLock or something like that. It was EXTREMELY buggy. Is there no easy way to see what emails I get, messenger alerts, or game alerts without unlocking my phone? I figured out how to see texting alerts, though it is pretty crappy the way you can't read more than the first 5 words.

I don't have a good answer for this, I was using a texting app that displayed the Text Msg on the lockscreen and you could answer it w/o unlocking the screen. Forgot what it was now

3. Volume. Is there any way to get it to stop alerting me that listening to loud music will hurt my ears when I try to turn the volume up? I have the safe listening turned off (or what ever it is called). SUPER annoying.

I turned it off in settings, have never heard that message.
But, I do not listen to music on my phone. Tinnitus ruined that enjoyment.

4. I used Samsung Smart Switch to transfer everything over from my iPhone, which worked great except for my "Notes". They are no where to be found. Any way to transfer them over without doing it by hand?

Can't help you with this one.

Overall I like the phone, but it is buggy and laggy. I'm not going to sugar coat it at all, sorry. I really like the larger screen and the better battery life. I was hoping for more battery life though after hearing everyone's raves about it. I am getting about 10 hours on average, with heavy use. I usually got about 6 out of my iPhone. Pathetic. I have tried everything suggested on forums and YouTube to try and get better battery life out of the GS5.

Buggy is a relative term and is bandied about when something happens you don't like, or don't understand the why of it. It took me a while, but I learned the phone and how to set it up. I have not had any issues with mine now for about six weeks.

Battery life is directly related to how you have the phone set up. The easiest way to improve it is to turn the internet OFF when you are not using the phone. For that purpose, I use MacroDroid.
Screen locks and MacroDroid turns off Data and WiFi.

Screen unlocks and it turns it all back on. Very easy, and is a huge battery saver. My phone if idle uses less than 5% battery in 24 hours.

Currently, it is at 60% after 3-1/2 days of use. And quite a bit of use too, not just paltry stuff. But, when the phone is locked, the internet is OFF.

joe watson1

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site

I attempted to fix the issue by restoring the phone to the factory settings. The messages app was still messed up. Something isn't right in the coding on that phone. Samsung sent me a new phone yesterday. Everything is working perfect now. I mean everything. Working as it should. Thank you to everyone for trying to help me sort it out.

Good to hear! Congrats

Sonofaperson

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
First Idk if anyone mentioned this. But google: ilauncher apk
This will give you a homescreeen that looks like iOS

Sent from my LG-E970 using AC Forums mobile app

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Good to hear. Some just are lemons.

Posted via Android Central App

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site

I turned it off in settings, have never heard that message.

Where in the settings did you turn it off?

Buggy is a relative term and is bandied about when something happens you don't like, or don't understand the why of it. It took me a while, but I learned the phone and how to set it up. I have not had any issues with mine now for about six weeks.

I write code for some of the machinery at work, I know a glitch in the code when I see one my friend. It is inevitable for it to happen when you download so many apps that change the "stock" code on the phone to alter the way it acts. Prime example is when playing a game and the quick reply for messages pops up. I will answer the text, then try to play the game again, but the screen is unresponsive. I have to close the game's application and restart it in order for it to work properly. Something in the code glitched or skipped a scan to lock the program from cycling. Shutting down the program and starting it over fixes the issue. While I really do like the phone, these are issues you just don't have with an iPhone. I just have to learn what I can and can't do in order to keep it from happening. Being able to customize the phone so much comes with a price. Probably one of the reasons Apple is so proprietary.

chris2707

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Right no offense to Samsung owners but why a s5? If u want a good Android experience there are better phones out there.. (HTC one m8 which is according to pretty much everyone in the business the best Android smartphone atm the Sony z2 or LG g3) if you're not liking Android still can I suggest at least giving them a look in store I had an iPhone 4s for a bit (have used Android before) n went htc and it's the best decision I've made an outstanding device tbh

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Right no offense to Samsung owners but why a s5? If u want a good Android experience there are better phones out there.. (HTC one m8 which is according to pretty much everyone in the business the best Android smartphone atm the Sony z2 or LG g3) if you're not liking Android still can I suggest at least giving them a look in store I had an iPhone 4s for a bit (have used Android before) n went htc and it's the best decision I've made an outstanding device tbh

Please don't get me wrong, I REALLY like this phone. I can see me liking it more than my 5s in time. It just makes me laugh how people want to bash Apple for having to jailbreak to get features. I don't see this as being any different. It's all just code altering, Apple just wants to keep it simple so it works while Android lets you do it, but there is a price (glitches). I'll just have to figure out what "tweak" I made, or app I downloaded, that is causing the glitch and remove it. No different from dealing with the tweaks on my jailbroken iPhone.

I also want to point out the headphone jack. I LOVE the commercial where people are making fun of Apple for the HUGE change of putting the headphone jack on the bottom. For someone like me who actually uses the phone for the gym, jogging, etc, that WAS huge. It just makes sense. I put my phone on my pocket that way. Now I have to change that, but only when I'm using the headphone jack. Annoying, but it is what it is. Anyone switching over from Apple, I am using isyncr to transfer my iTunes playlists to my S5 and it works perfect. Worth every penny of the $4.99 or what ever it was. Simple to use program.

Miss Galaxy

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

Hi, I have just read this entire thread and I am so happy you have your issues sorted out!

Are you liking the phone any better now?

I, too, switched from a long line of apple iPhones to the Galaxy S5 and I absolutely love it! There are a few things I prefer on the iPhone but the S5 is a clear winner for me. :)

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Where in the settings did you turn it off?

Prime example is when playing a game and the quick reply for messages pops up. I will answer the text, then try to play the game again, but the screen is unresponsive. I have to close the game's application and restart it in order for it to work properly. Something in the code glitched or skipped a scan to lock the program from cycling. Shutting down the program and starting it over fixes the issue.

I've never had this problem on my S5. In fact, last night I was playing San Andreas and got a text message pop up. I didn't have to restart the game. I replied and went on playing the game with no problems.

Anyway, glad you got a new phone and it's working as it should.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Please don't get me wrong, I REALLY like this phone. I can see me liking it more than my 5s in time. It just makes me laugh how people want to bash Apple for having to jailbreak to get features. I don't see this as being any different. It's all just code altering, Apple just wants to keep it simple so it works while Android lets you do it, but there is a price (glitches). I'll just have to figure out what "tweak" I made, or app I downloaded, that is causing the glitch and remove it. No different from dealing with the tweaks on my jailbroken iPhone.

The main difference is that jailbreaking voids the warranty whereas being able to do all of this on a stock Android does not. I know it's easy enough to restore a phone to factory and you'd probably never get caught jailbreaking but the risk is still there I suppose.

I've also noticed that there is a LOT less bashing going on here than on Apple forums. I hardly ever see anyone straight up bashing on Apple and iPhones on this forum. I'm also on ModMyI and it's crazy how much Android bashing goes on over there, particularly Samsung products. I really don't get down on that but even if I did, at least I've tried both platforms out. A lot of guys on MMI just talk smack about Android and clearly have no clue what they are talking about and have obviously never even tried using an Android device. That loyalist crap makes me sick.

I also want to point out the headphone jack. I LOVE the commercial where people are making fun of Apple for the HUGE change of putting the headphone jack on the bottom. For someone like me who actually uses the phone for the gym, jogging, etc, that WAS huge. It just makes sense. I put my phone on my pocket that way. Now I have to change that, but only when I'm using the headphone jack. Annoying, but it is what it is. Anyone switching over from Apple, I am using isyncr to transfer my iTunes playlists to my S5 and it works perfect. Worth every penny of the $4.99 or what ever it was. Simple to use program.

I hate how Samsung attacks iPhones in their ads. I find that kind of slanderous marketing to be cheap and obnoxious. I'm sure some people don't mind that change and some people hate it. Personally, I prefer the jack on the top of the phone and I use my phone almost every day for my runs but I wouldn't care too much if it were on the bottom as I'm sure I'd get used to it pretty quickly. I haven't actually seen the said commercial but of all things to take shots at the iPhone over, this one seems pretty silly.

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
The main difference is that jailbreaking voids the warranty whereas being able to do all of this on a stock Android does not. I know it's easy enough to restore a phone to factory and you'd probably never get caught jailbreaking but the risk is still there I suppose.

I've also noticed that there is a LOT less bashing going on here than on Apple forums. I hardly ever see anyone straight up bashing on Apple and iPhones on this forum. I'm also on ModMyI and it's crazy how much Android bashing goes on over there, particularly Samsung products. I really don't get down on that but even if I did, at least I've tried both platforms out. A lot of guys on MMI just talk smack about Android and clearly have no clue what they are talking about and have obviously never even tried using an Android device. That loyalist crap makes me sick.

I hate how Samsung attacks iPhones in their ads. I find that kind of slanderous marketing to be cheap and obnoxious. I'm sure some people don't mind that change and some people hate it. Personally, I prefer the jack on the top of the phone and I use my phone almost every day for my runs but I wouldn't care too much if it were on the bottom as I'm sure I'd get used to it pretty quickly. I haven't actually seen the said commercial but of all things to take shots at the iPhone over, this one seems pretty silly.

Love the one where they are wall hugging for battery charging, hysterical. My S5 gets 24 hours and if I am in heavy use mode I can always pop in a fresh battery if need be.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Love the one where they are wall hugging for battery charging, hysterical. My S5 gets 24 hours and if I am in heavy use mode I can always pop in a fresh battery if need be.

Yes the removavle battery is just awesome. On an average day I can get around 24 hours battery life with around 4 hours screen time. Yesterday I took my phone off the charger at 6.30 am. I was using my phone a lot. I took about 100 pictures. I was uploading them to Facebook, sending them to friends. Replying to messages on facebook what's app etc, surfing the net, editing my pics, tethering. My battery didn't die until 10 pm at night when I was on my way home and I simply popped a spare in there to use on the way home.

Posted from my S5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali