A few question about my new S5 from a die hard Apple guy......

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Timm4y77, I'm stumped my friend. I just went to a website, long pressed a pic, clicked on save image, switched over to the stock Gallery app, clicked pic and texted to myself through 3G(in a gagrage) and pic came right up. I myself have none of the problems you are having and a feel for you since I have friends with your phone OCD issues. Still my advice would be to turn off the bloat and the stuff that you don't use. It will help the battery as well.

Posted via Android Central App

BrainSmashR

Banned
May 4, 2014
Visit site
I hate to state the obvious, but have you confirmed that this is not an imessage or MMS issue.

1. After leaving crapple and ATT I could not send or receive texts from anyone with an imessage account. After about 3 weeks I just changed my phone number.

2. Was dating a girl a few weeks back who had SMS but not MMS, of course she didn't know that because all of her friends had iphones with imessage and thus could send media to each other with no problems. Along comes BrainSmashR with his fancy s5 and suddenly we can't swap dirty pics because she doesn't have MMS and I don't have imessage. Sounds obvious, but in retrospect it took me several days to figure out what was going on....

joe watson1

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
That's too funny. lol. Dirty pics lol

Hey keep up posted on goes it's going. I'm following this thread because I too am considering the jump. Just waiting to see what comes out this fall between iphone and android. I'm hoping the Moto x-1 is he real deal.

joe watson1

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I know what you mean. I have had iPhone since 1st generation and never had any issues. The phone just works. But it does get boring. I'm looking for a change and I really don't think a bigger phone with IOS 8 is going to make it feel any different.

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
On a lighter note, I just figured out how to activate and use "swipe". WOW. That is AWESOME. Makes texting so much easier.

hucworld

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Man, I like a few others can relate on coming over from Apple. I was a loyal Apple lover and user and one day a few of buddies and I went out. Everyone was using Swype and all sorts of fancy things with their devices. Meanwhile all I had was iMessage, lol. Anyway after playing with one of my buddy's phones I was kinda wowed. Did my online research and asked around. Went in a T-Mobile store and played with a few devices and then I made the leap. I can't lie, at first I was all kinds of lost and irritated with the having to go thru menu after menu to customize my device. One of buddies came over and showed me about Nova Launcher and it made a world of difference. Sure it cost but as a former Apple user you know that paying for apps is not foreign for us or many for that matter. The only issue to this day that I have with my Samsung Galaxy S5 is the photo editing on Instagram. Not sure if you use that app or not but if you do you know what I mean. I love that I can view actual videos and not worry about seeing things that say "not in this format" or something to that notion. Anyway I would be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about this new iPhone that is coming out but I think I will wait and see what the new Note 4 is all about. Seems like Sammy puts more into their Note line than the Galaxy line. Hope you enjoy your toy bro.

AlfieB

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi thread creator, I have some questions have you installed a third party launcher yet any changes to your experience and do you plan on keeping the S5.

AlfieB

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Cause I hate TouchWiz (Stock Software) on Samsung's first thing I do is install a launcher like Nova Launcher and customise to the extreme try that also the Google Now Launcher is available for all devices now so maybe give that a whirl. Hope it gets better soon. Once TouchWiz is out the way it's a great phone.

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Cause I hate TouchWiz (Stock Software) on Samsung's first thing I do is install a launcher like Nova Launcher and customise to the extreme try that also the Google Now Launcher is available for all devices now so maybe give that a whirl. Hope it gets better soon. Once TouchWiz is out the way it's a great phone.

Please read the thread. The issues I am having have nothing to do with the launcher. I am using Nova, but have deactivated it to see if my problems went away. It made no difference.

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you should try a factory reset before you have it replaced. If not, the iPhone 6 will be out soon and you can go back to what you like. It's too bad you are having some bad luck with the phone.

The S4 had lock screen widgets so you could add any weather widget you wanted. Samsung was smoking crack because they removed the lock screen widgets from the S5.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the quick reply on the stock messaging app?

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
From the lock screen you can only read a portion of the text. It's not very intuitive. Almost seems like it was an afterthought. I would prefer to use Hangouts or Messages+, but I can't seem to get my contact text tones to work when using anything other than the stock Messages app. It always plays the default text tone. For example I have the default text tone set as a Star Wars Blaster sound. When I get a text that sound is played. My wife's text tone is a 2 second clip of "Baby Got Back". No matter what I do, if I have any messages app chosen, other than the stock app, it will ALWAYS play the default text tone I have set. If my wife texts me, it SHOULD play Baby Got Back, but it won't unless I am using the stock app.

I am going to use this phone for 6 months. No matter what. Even if it takes me 6 months to get it right. I will make a decision then. I am not an Apple Fanboy. I just want the best device for my needs. I could care less who makes it. Apple wasn't cutting it. They were 95% there, but I want 100%.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Good afternoon. This is your friendly community reminder that we have a section dedicated to cross platform trolling and that all such nonsense should be confined to that area. If you do not care for a post, please act like an adult and move on. If you feel it violates forum rules or that it needs a response to the tone rather than the content, hit the report button. This stupid fanboy this and crapple that garbage is a waste of everyone's time. Please keep the discussion productive and on topic. Please don't get me called back into this thread. Thanks.

joe watson1

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
good afternoon. This is your friendly community reminder that we have a section dedicated to cross platform trolling and that all such nonsense should be confined to that area. If you do not care for a post, please act like an adult and move on. If you feel it violates forum rules or that it needs a response to the tone rather than the content, hit the report button. This stupid fanboy this and crapple that garbage is a waste of everyone's time. Please keep the discussion productive and on topic. Please don't get me called back into this thread. Thanks.

winner winner chicken dinner!! :)

Paul Ellis1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Not read all the comments so sorry if this has already been suggested.

For notes, I used ios notes from the play store and just saved the notes to goggle instead of icloud on the stock iPhone notes app. They appeared immediately

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Can you please link the app, there are so many.
I didn't have problem transferring my notes through smart switch but some notes didnt transfer so will give this a go.

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I believe that if you want the individual custom tones to work in the other messaging apps, you must set those tones within the specific messaging app.
I'm assuming you only assigned the custom tones in the stock app, and not the other ones you are testing?

Please take note that not all messaging apps support custom individual tones, and will default to the... well default tone.

As for battery life, try to practice turning off data, gps, bluetooth, wifi, auto(anything such-as brightness and rotation) when not in use, or simply enable powersaver mode.

I myself do not own an s5, but i am very familar with Android.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickness54