Android 9 Pie... Do you like it?

speedtrap63

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Hate it. Since I upgraded I can no longer receive incoming calls. Battery life is worse. Next time I'll wait for the dust to settle before an upgrade.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I don’t care for that sent message tone so I turned it off. The other can be customized if you like. Sounds like you have default settings enabled. Check your settings.

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Overall, it's alright. I don't like the changes to the quick settings or the empty spot at the top of the screen for phones without a notch. I am good with the new gesture interface finally. Reminds me of WebOS or BlackBerry 10. I like it it enough that I searched for an app to mimic similar functions on my android tablet running 7.1.

Found this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.conena.navigation.gesture.control

Pretty decent. Android 9 doesn't really feel like an upgrade though, more like an alternative.

Flicked via the BlackBerry keyboard on my Pixel 2

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
My battery is better. It's taken a few days but I am definitely seeing longer life.

Still miss the quick settings shortcuts but the other visual improvements are making up for it.

The quick settings shortcuts are still there. Just long press on the icon.

ETA well, a long press takes you to the settings menu for that function now, so it's not exactly the same.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Hate it. Since I upgraded I can no longer receive incoming calls. Battery life is worse. Next time I'll wait for the dust to settle before an upgrade.

I've always been a late adopter, I like to wait till most of the major bugs have been worked out, and I like to read up on an update to know what to expect. That's also why I shut auto update off on all my devices.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
This is maddening. I consider Location Settings to be "broken" until something changes.

GPS on = 3 hrs of battery life.
GPS off = Nothing location-based works. Weather doesn't work. Tasker doesn't work. My task to automatically switch to Wi-Fi to save data while at home doesn't work. They've broken a ton of what I use on the phone!

Come on, Google.

I have a Pixel. Maybe Samsung's version of Pie isn't as broken.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
This is maddening. I consider Location Settings to be "broken" until something changes.

GPS on = 3 hrs of battery life.
GPS off = Nothing location-based works. Weather doesn't work. Tasker doesn't work. My task to automatically switch to Wi-Fi to save data while at home doesn't work. They've broken a ton of what I use on the phone!

Come on, Google.

I have a Pixel. Maybe Samsung's version of Pie isn't as broken.

Samsung won't have pie for probably quite awhile if they follow their usual.
Have you tried all the usual remedies for poor battery after an update? Check for apps pulling to much juice? Rogue app? Maybe not all apps that use GPS have been updated correctly for PIE. Try a total phone reset yet?
Your experience is not the norm. Something is up and just need to find and fix it.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Battery monitor says nothing is using an unusually high amount of battery. A reset is a pain, but if that's the only way, I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet.

MaluTapiMau

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Was a beta tester previously and was pretty happy with it except the battery life and recently, bluetooth. When i am connected to my speaker via bluetooth, sometimes it doesn't change the volume when i press the volume rocker.

Another one i find quite amusing is my Google Assistant sometimes speak in a completely different accent. I set the default to English UK, and sometimes, when being asked informal questions like how are you doing, it'll reply in an Indian accent.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm now thinking my problem goes beyond Pie. I discovered that 20% is the new 0%, as the phone powers itself off now when the battery level reaches 20%.

I'm going to run Helium Backup tonight, then do a full reset. I can't think of anything else to try.

Aurelink

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
Short answer : I don't.

Quick tiles UI feels childish and less constructive, battery doesn't hold on as it used to on 8.1, and I HATE the volume buttons automatically adjusting media volume instead of the ringer...

Connor Lester

Oct 7, 2018
Visit site
I was on beta on my Pixel XL,it was amazing experience, much more yet to come, the beautiful live wallpapers, goggle assistant shortcut at search bar, and there has been few changes, but I turned back to O and will wait for the official update of Android P.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I was on beta on my Pixel XL,it was amazing experience, much more yet to come, the beautiful live wallpapers, goggle assistant shortcut at search bar, and there has been few changes, but I turned back to O and will wait for the official update of Android P.

The official update has been out for a month or more, not sure what you're waiting for...

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm now thinking my problem goes beyond Pie. I discovered that 20% is the new 0%, as the phone powers itself off now when the battery level reaches 20%.

I'm going to run Helium Backup tonight, then do a full reset. I can't think of anything else to try.

You're right to try a reset, I reset mine right out of the box after upgrading to Pie, and everything's working perfectly.... with multi-day battery life. And that's with all stock settings on. ;-)