Android or Samsung Pay?

Rumline

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
As a UK citizen, I don't believe I have access to Samsung Pay.
From what I've read, the UK is next in line to get SP.

Samsung Pay: News, Features, Support, Availability, and More | Page 2 | Digital Trends
Samsung initially promised Pay would expand to the U.K. and Canada sometime in 2016, but has now backtracked on its promise to the former. In a statement, Samsung said, “Following successful launches of Samsung Pay around the world, we are planning to launch the service in the U.K. in 2017.

No reason for the delay has been given, but negotiations between Samsung and U.K. banks are speculated to be the issue by The Telegraph. No exact timeframe other than 2017 has been given, meaning it may be up to two or more years after Apple Pay launched in the U.K., that Samsung joins the market.

SnoFire

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
This is great news everyone. I'm on an S5 waiting for my S8 to arrive. Hear what does and doesn't work is great...Can't wait to use it for everything (my wife has iPhone and doesn't use Apple Pay either).

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
This is great news everyone. I'm on an S5 waiting for my S8 to arrive. Hear what does and doesn't work is great...Can't wait to use it for everything (my wife has iPhone and doesn't use Apple Pay either).

I went from an iPhone 6+ to the note 7 and used samsung pay on the note way more then i ever did apple pay.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
When are you expecting your S8. I just got my S8Plus today and love it.

jcthorne#AC

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I gave up on Samsung pay and un-installed it from my S7Edge. Just far too unreliable. Seemed like better than half the time I had to quit fiddleing with the phone while folks were waiting in line behind me and just get out the real credit card that works every time.

Until its as reliable as a simple plastic card with a chip in it, its useless tech that just slows things down.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I gave up on Samsung pay and un-installed it from my S7Edge. Just far too unreliable. Seemed like better than half the time I had to quit fiddleing with the phone while folks were waiting in line behind me and just get out the real credit card that works every time.

Until its as reliable as a simple plastic card with a chip in it, its useless tech that just slows things down.

that was not my experience at all, on the note 7, worked very well (when i would remember to use it).

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

99% of the time when Samsung Pay doesn't work, it's because the cashier isn't putting the transaction through to the terminal. I've had cashiers that straight up didn't want to put the transaction through unless I pulled out my card. I had to insist they just put it through as a Visa transaction (there is no special Samsung Pay transaction type, it's just a regular credit card transaction). I started to hide the fact that I was going to use my phone, but nowadays the cashiers seem less militant about it. I still say, "Visa" before using the phone.

Samsung Pay is clearly more useful in the US than Europe and Asia. There's a lot of NFC in Europe and Asia, and almost all of the terminals are chip & pin. NFC is very limited in the States and mag swipe terminals are still the norm. That should change soon (although they've been saying "soon" for the last 10 years), but until then, Samsung Pay is the best phone payment system in the US, and it's not even close. Samsung Pay is like Katie Ledecky and Secretariat rolled up into one compared to Android and Apple Pay.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been using it on my S6 for 18 months, and I've never had a reliability problem. Every so often, I'll hit a store like Lowe's, where I need to try it a couple of times, but most of the time it works just like in the commercials.

I use it 50-60 times a month.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I've been using it on my S6 for 18 months, and I've never had a reliability problem. Every so often, I'll hit a store like Lowe's, where I need to try it a couple of times, but most of the time it works just like in the commercials.

I use it 50-60 times a month.
Only thing I don't like is Samsung Pay limits you to I think around 50 transactions as far as earning points for them

physicsguy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I didn't know that. What about places like Costco?

Seems that Samsung needs to get the word out about this. Literally anywhere you can swipe a card, you can use Samsung pay. It's not a tap and pay system like Android or Apple pay, it signals​ the magnetic card reader the same way a swipe would. Of course, some merchants aren't as reliable, but I've found the rare times I've had issues it was the cashier, not the system.

Mike1117

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Love Samsung pay. Works everywhere consistently for me. You can use it to store multiple cards. Can also earn free gift cards from Samsung promotions.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Samsung pay works almost anywhere you can swipe your card. It also has a decent rewards program, I just cashed out a $50 visa card.

Android pay only works where you can tap.

I was actually surprised by this. I have been using SP at the vending machine at work. I just ordered a LCD flip case for my s7 for free using points. I think it sells for more than I actually spent using Samsung pay.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been playing with my phone this afternoon, and I have to say that the fingerprint position is going to be a major PITA with Samsung Pay. I'm having a lot of trouble getting my finger centered over the reader and having it read accurately. (Worked perfectly with the S6.) The iris scanner is pretty lame, too. (I'm going to use a screen protector, which will screw it up completely.)

If Samsung wanted to kill Samsung Pay, the position of the fingerprint reader is a good way to start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Martin_Markov