Backing up Note 9 photos to PC gets stuck every time

lenpro

Jun 14, 2019
Visit site
Hello! It's been a few months since I last backed up my photos on my PC...risky, I know.

Anyway, when I plug my device to my Windows 10 PC, it asks me what I want to do with it, so I select 'Import photos and videos' and I let it run it's course when it 'searches for new photos/videos to import'.

After a couple of minutes, it gets 'stuck' at 'Found 10,570 new Photos/Videos'. The window stays there and the entire thing just disappears, so nothing really gets imported. The only button that's in there during this process is the 'cancel' button and there wasn't any 'Import these photos/videos' button so it never got to finish it's search process.

Any ideas how to finish the import and actually back my photos up?

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I usually recommend against that feature of Windows Explorer, because it indiscriminately imports every single image and video on the phone, including thumbnails and cached images/videos used by apps and ad networks. It's a better idea to manually select the files you want to back up and drag/drop them to the hard drive.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You dont use Samsung smart switch application on the computer?
Hello! It's been a few months since I last backed up my photos on my PC...risky, I know.

Anyway, when I plug my device to my Windows 10 PC, it asks me what I want to do with it, so I select 'Import photos and videos' and I let it run it's course when it 'searches for new photos/videos to import'.

After a couple of minutes, it gets 'stuck' at 'Found 10,570 new Photos/Videos'. The window stays there and the entire thing just disappears, so nothing really gets imported. The only button that's in there during this process is the 'cancel' button and there wasn't any 'Import these photos/videos' button so it never got to finish it's search process.

Any ideas how to finish the import and actually back my photos up?

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Right. So basically, just copy the entire DCIM folder? And Windows will just skip the duplicates when prompted?

You could do that, or just copy the /DCIM/Camera directory (unless there are other subdirectories of DCIM that are important to you). But definitely use the Copy command, and not Move, in case of any problems with the file transfer. I think Windows should alert you to dupes, and I think there's a way to ignore all dupes, but I haven't tried this recently.