Battery life thread. 🔋

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Looks like you've not got AOD turned on, so you probably don't have to worry about battery life.

Auto brightness should improve battery life in a dark environment. I've got it off because they ruined it compared to how it worked in Tizen imo.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Looks like you've not got AOD turned on, so you probably don't have to worry about battery life.

Auto brightness should improve battery life in a dark environment. I've got it off because they ruined it compared to how it worked in Tizen imo.

AOD is not turned, but battery still sucks compared to first 2 days after I got it.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
AOD is not turned, but battery still sucks compared to first 2 days after I got it.

I'm gonna have to try AOD off for a couple of days... It uses 3 times as much as the display in battery stats.

It occurs to me I got 3 days out of the galaxy watch, 2 out of the watch3 and 1 out of the watch4. If I get the watch5, will it even turn on?

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna have to try AOD off for a couple of days... It uses 3 times as much as the display in battery stats.

It occurs to me I got 3 days out of the galaxy watch, 2 out of the watch3 and 1 out of the watch4. If I get the watch5, will it even turn on?

Right! I got 2.5 days out of the GW3 in the beginning, 2 out of the AW2. Now the GW3 only gets about 1.5 -1.75 days, rarely 2. Just finished a 1.79 mile walk with Walk selected as an exercise on the GW4. 58% battery when I left, 52% when I finished 33 mins later. Next, I'm going to try turning it completely off for the next full charge and see if that helps. It helped the GW3 in the past to improve battery life, but then that is using Tizen.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
My battery life has been hit and miss as well, but I think it has a LOT of do with usage. I am getting BETTER life, overall, on the GW4C (Non-LTE) than my Gear Watch 3 (LTE).

Busy day typically has me doing a fair bit of walking, but I also try and get out to cycle as well. I track my cycling via the watch as well as my other activities.

Non-Busy day is everything above minus the cycling.

I only have a few notifications sent to my watch as well as using AOD.

Busy Day, start at 100% (I charge in the morning while I am showering and go from this point).

By the next morning when I am ready to put it on the charger, I have more than 50% battery left.

Non-Busy day, I have between 60% to 65% when I put it on the charger.

Let's see if I can get all my settings listed:

• AoD: On
  • Notifications: 3 Email Apps, Text, Calls, Voicemail
  • Brightness: Auto
  • HR/O2 level checking: Every 10 mins
  • At night: Bedtime Mode is ON
  • Watch Face: AR Emoji
  • Weather every 3 hours
  • Volumes: Ring: 8 / Media: 5 / Notifications: 8 / System 6

I have found that since I have Google Messages now as default, I am responding to texts more from my watch than I used too, so this is a factor too.

It's impossible to list everything that can impact the battery life, but overall, I am happy with the Watch 4 Classic (Non-LTE)

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I turned on NFC and it really kills the battery. By end of day yesterday I was down to 10%. Previous days, without NFC, typically 40-50% by day's end. So, while GPay did load and allow me to enter card info, I'm not sure how much I'll use it with that kind of battery drain.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I turned on NFC and it really kills the battery. By end of day yesterday I was down to 10%. Previous days, without NFC, typically 40-50% by day's end. So, while GPay did load and allow me to enter card info, I'm not sure how much I'll use it with that kind of battery drain.

Huh, I use Samsung Pay and do not see that kind of battery drain with NFC on.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
My battery life has been hit and miss as well, but I think it has a LOT of do with usage. I am getting BETTER life, overall, on the GW4C (Non-LTE) than my Gear Watch 3 (LTE).

Busy day typically has me doing a fair bit of walking, but I also try and get out to cycle as well. I track my cycling via the watch as well as my other activities.

Non-Busy day is everything above minus the cycling.

I only have a few notifications sent to my watch as well as using AOD.

Busy Day, start at 100% (I charge in the morning while I am showering and go from this point).

By the next morning when I am ready to put it on the charger, I have more than 50% battery left.

Non-Busy day, I have between 60% to 65% when I put it on the charger.

Let's see if I can get all my settings listed:

• AoD: On
  • Notifications: 3 Email Apps, Text, Calls, Voicemail
  • Brightness: Auto
  • HR/O2 level checking: Every 10 mins
  • At night: Bedtime Mode is ON
  • Watch Face: AR Emoji
  • Weather every 3 hours
  • Volumes: Ring: 8 / Media: 5 / Notifications: 8 / System 6

I have found that since I have Google Messages now as default, I am responding to texts more from my watch than I used too, so this is a factor too.

It's impossible to list everything that can impact the battery life, but overall, I am happy with the Watch 4 Classic (Non-LTE)

I do have the GW4 LTE, but have Network AND Wifi turned off. Only use it as Bluetooth, even in my house.
Other Settings:
AOD - off
NFC - off
Notifications: Email, Text, Phone, about 4 other apps
Brightness: Auto
HR/O2 Level checking: manual
Bedtime Mode: Not used
Watch Face: Analog Dashboard
Weather: every 6 hours
Volumes: Ring: 8/Media: 6-7/Notifications: 8-9/ System: 7
Hourly Chime: On

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I'll run with NFC disabled tomorrow to compare, but I don't see it making a big difference.

It should really just turn on and off automatically with payment apps anyway though.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I'll run with NFC disabled tomorrow to compare, but I don't see it making a big difference.

It should really just turn on and off automatically with payment apps anyway though.

That's what I had asked in the S21 thread if I just opened Samsung Pay and went to use it would NFC just turn on and someone said I needed to turn it on. And it's on now and like I said at Kohls the other day it worked right away. I think when trying at Walmart it just doesn't work regardless cause when I tried it there I didn't turn on NFC.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
That's what I had asked in the S21 thread if I just opened Samsung Pay and went to use it would NFC just turn on and someone said I needed to turn it on. And it's on now and like I said at Kohls the other day it worked right away. I think when trying at Walmart it just doesn't work regardless cause when I tried it there I didn't turn on NFC.

Never used my watch at WalMart, but have had some issues with WalMart with my phones.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Never used my watch at WalMart, but have had some issues with WalMart with my phones.

I used my watch for the 1st time today. I never used it on my A2 but thought I would try it. I was at this store and I guess I didn't know where to hold the watch and am used to MST so I held it near the card swiper but it said on their machine Samsung Pay and it worked right away and I was like oh this is cool! Then I went to another store and he said oh you hold it here where you would wave your card and I said oh ok and it worked again. I love it! But if I get this watch cover will it still work? Or should I just get a screen protector and will it work with it also?

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I was using Raise wrist to wake up and would lose about 35% while at work. I swapped to touch screen to wake and lost less than 20%..huge difference. May be coincidence and battery just getting more tuned, but i think that really helps.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I was using Raise wrist to wake up and would lose about 35% while at work. I swapped to touch screen to wake and lost less than 20%..huge difference. May be coincidence and battery just getting more tuned, but i think that really helps.

Hmmm I may have to change mine it's on raise to wake too. I'm on 39% and was on a 100 when I left for work at 1:00 today. Mine does drop more than my old one but I also have the Bitmoji animated watch face. I used to wake up with 50 or 60 % but I still charged it every morning anyway before work so I'm good I guess. I sleep with my watch on.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I recently turned my watch completely off. Put on the charger to recharge (from 8%). Left it on the charger for a few hours more (turned off) and wore my GW3. Yesterday, put it on at 11:00 am with the Power Saving ticked (no AOD, limits CPU speed, decreases brightness by 10%, limited location checking, limted background sync, turns off wake up gesture, and no automatic software updates). Have not changed any other settings I had. Now, 20.5 hrs later, I'm at 58% with a predicted amount of battery left = 1 day, 1 hour. Other than not raising to wake, I cannot see any difference in what I want it to do. The next time, I'll do the same but leave Power Saving unticked and compare and report back. I have the GW4 LTE green. (no WiFi, no LTE turned on)

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It's no secret that wear OS takes more power. Samsung should have made the battery bigger. The watch 3 45mm has a 340 mah battery, the watch 4 classic has a 361mah battery. They did go bigger, but it's not enough. So far I don't see a great reason for Samsung to switch to wear OS. One reason I see is it having Google maps. The battery barely has enough power to make it thru the day for normal activity, running Google maps is going to last what a hour or so.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I recently turned my watch completely off. Put on the charger to recharge (from 8%). Left it on the charger for a few hours more (turned off) and wore my GW3. Yesterday, put it on at 11:00 am with the Power Saving ticked (no AOD, limits CPU speed, decreases brightness by 10%, limited location checking, limted background sync, turns off wake up gesture, and no automatic software updates). Have not changed any other settings I had. Now, 20.5 hrs later, I'm at 58% with a predicted amount of battery left = 1 day, 1 hour. Other than not raising to wake, I cannot see any difference in what I want it to do. The next time, I'll do the same but leave Power Saving unticked and compare and report back. I have the GW4 LTE green. (no WiFi, no LTE turned on)
Losing lift to wake is a major issue IMO. I would love to have the battery savings and leave lift to wake on. If that's 15% would still be good. Apparently Samsung know lift to wake is a battery killer.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Losing lift to wake is a major issue IMO. I would love to have the battery savings and leave lift to wake on. If that's 15% would still be good. Apparently Samsung know lift to wake is a battery killer.

Yeah, I would prefer the lift to wake too. I'll take off the Power Savings next time to compare. Just finished a 2.4 mile walk with Walking selected as my workout and only used 7% of battery (Power Savings on) over the 46 min walk with the workout running. Not sure if that is good or bad.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, I would prefer the lift to wake too. I'll take off the Power Savings next time to compare. Just finished a 2.4 mile walk with Walking selected as my workout and only used 7% of battery (Power Savings on) over the 46 min walk with the workout running. Not sure if that is good or bad.

I haven't tested, but does the workout screen stay lit up the entire time regardless of whether you have lift to wake or AOD turned off?

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tested, but does the workout screen stay lit up the entire time regardless of whether you have lift to wake or AOD turned off?

With Power Savings, have to manually tap screen or press Home button to wake up watch and it's there. Without Power Savings, just lift to wake and it's there, unless you read a notification or other. If you look at the notification but don't read it, workout screen stays up front. But it you do read the notification, there is a small active icon at 6 o'clock that if you just tap brings the workout screen back up front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia