Battery life thread. 🔋

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
With Power Savings, have to manually tap screen or press Home button to wake up watch and it's there. Without Power Savings, just lift to wake and it's there, unless you read a notification or other. If you look at the notification but don't read it, workout screen stays up front. But it you do read the notification, there is a small active icon at 6 o'clock that if you just tap brings the workout screen back up front.

My husband realized his power savings was on and he couldn't lift to wake. I saw my wifi was on the other night and turned it off and woke up without 15% or so more than I did have. But I charge every day anyway.

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Update to earlier post and question. With NFC off I end up with about 50% battery left after a 15-hour day. I've noticed differences between GPay and Samsung Pay. GPay needs NFC on to work. It does not turn it on when you need it and turn it off when you are finished. Samsung Pay, however, does turn NFC on and off as needed. I've looked at my NFC and APP settings and could find nothing to make GPay work automatically. If there is such a setting, could someone point me to the right place and procedure. I like the handiness of GPay but having to turn NFC on and off each payment is a pain!

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Update to earlier post and question. With NFC off I end up with about 50% battery left after a 15-hour day. I've noticed differences between GPay and Samsung Pay. GPay needs NFC on to work. It does not turn it on when you need it and turn it off when you are finished. Samsung Pay, however, does turn NFC on and off as needed. I've looked at my NFC and APP settings and could find nothing to make GPay work automatically. If there is such a setting, could someone point me to the right place and procedure. I like the handiness of GPay but having to turn NFC on and off each payment is a pain!

Oh really so I can leave NFC off and when I go to use Samsung Pay it will turn on and than back off is it a setting or it just automatically does it? I also saw that my location was on will turning it off help battery too or does it need to be on? Thanks!

jettie1767

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I think the battery life is fine for daily use but not so good if you use it to track workouts all day. We were out at Glacier National Park last week and did a 5+ hour hike and the watch went into battery saving mode around 4 pm. We took our watches off the charger at 6 am. We are recent converts from Apple iphone and series 6 watch. We didn't see the same battery drain using Apple series 6 when doing long workouts. Glad it lasted the entire hike but i wished it didn't have to need a recharge that quickly.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I think the battery life is fine for daily use but not so good if you use it to track workouts all day. We were out at Glacier National Park last week and did a 5+ hour hike and the watch went into battery saving mode around 4 pm. We took our watches off the charger at 6 am. We are recent converts from Apple iphone and series 6 watch. We didn't see the same battery drain using Apple series 6 when doing long workouts. Glad it lasted the entire hike but i wished it didn't have to need a recharge that quickly.

Wow, I wonder if there are some functions that can be turned off to save battery.

Do you now have a Samsung phone as well? Once you return to your vehicle don't forget you could do power share to charge your watch.

jettie1767

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Wow, I wonder if there are some functions that can be turned off to save battery.

Do you now have a Samsung phone as well? Once you return to your vehicle don't forget you could do power share to charge your watch.

Yes, I have an S21 Ultra now. I did forget I could charge the watch thru the back of the phone when we got back to the car. The watch lasted another 2 hours on the ride back to the cabin in battery saving mode. But I think when it’s in that mode, it basically doesn’t measure any health activity, workouts, etc…just keeps time?

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I have an S21 Ultra now. I did forget I could charge the watch thru the back of the phone when we got back to the car. The watch lasted another 2 hours on the ride back to the cabin in battery saving mode. But I think when it’s in that mode, it basically doesn’t measure any health activity, workouts, etc…just keeps time?

I was thinking saving mode it would still do it but keep display turned off? You probably have to select the activity to start tracking vs auto detect workout. There's another setting which basically turns the watch into nothing more than a digital watch definitely shuts everything off including the face unless you tap the home button.

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

This is what Battery Savings does:
Turns off AOD
Limit CPU speed
Decrease brightness by 10%
Limit background network usage
Limit background location checking
Limit background syncing
Reduce screen timeout to 15 sec
Turn off wake up gesture
No software updates

I still get steps, calories, floors, calories burned when I have it on. Have not done any autoworkout. Have used it with workouts, e.g. walking and it tracked everything. Not sure what else you are talking about.

jettie1767

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
This is what Battery Savings does:
Turns off AOD
Limit CPU speed
Decrease brightness by 10%
Limit background network usage
Limit background location checking
Limit background syncing
Reduce screen timeout to 15 sec
Turn off wake up gesture
No software updates

I still get steps, calories, floors, calories burned when I have it on. Have not done any autoworkout. Have used it with workouts, e.g. walking and it tracked everything. Not sure what else you are talking about.

Great to know! Thanks! I'll put it into battery saving mode earlier then the next time I go on a long hike.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Great to know! Thanks! I'll put it into battery saving mode earlier then the next time I go on a long hike.

I went talking today and I have the BT version and had my phone with me and something said turn on location for something I forget now and mine was off. Do I need it on and will it drain my battery? I didn't think I needed it on if my phone was near but I wasn't sure. But I had my buds in and I liked how it spoke in my ear and said you reached 2 miles in 40 minutes and so many steps and told me my heart rate. It was cool!

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I went talking today and I have the BT version and had my phone with me and something said turn on location for something I forget now and mine was off. Do I need it on and will it drain my battery? I didn't think I needed it on if my phone was near but I wasn't sure. But I had my buds in and I liked how it spoke in my ear and said you reached 2 miles in 40 minutes and so many steps and told me my heart rate. It was cool!

I always have mine on when I go walking. I like the fact that in SH, it will show a map of your walk, plus various statistics based on the location such as elevation, avg miles, etc. based on location. I haven't found that it drains the battery any more than on my GW3.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I am on my 3rd day of ownership of a GW4 44mm and I am easily going to eclipse 24 hours, but will probably put it on the charger this evening anyway, as it's a convenient time to charge. But I am at about 19 hours with 72% left on the battery, and I am playing with this thing all the time.

As of now, can't complain about battery life.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I always have mine on when I go walking. I like the fact that in SH, it will show a map of your walk, plus various statistics based on the location such as elevation, avg miles, etc. based on location. I haven't found that it drains the battery any more than on my GW3.

Oh I didn't know it showed a map of your walk I didn't see that. But I will turn it back on heck I charge it every morning anyway. So that must be why it spoke to me yesterday through my buds and said you hit the 1 mile mark in 23 minutes and it told me my steps and my heart rate how many beats per minute.

Last edited:

kbboykin

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I usually let mine autodetect when mowing. I'll try walking the next time. I'm curious to see my mowing pattern plotted by GPS. :D