Battery swelling

garrettfarnum

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
So my phone has been acting up lately and I figured it was just software. (My screen would flicker and then turn off, it would only turn on if it was plugged in)

Today it actually locked up and forced me to do a battery pull.

What greeted me shocked me.

My battery was swelled up.
LITERALLY, like it was going to burst.

Sprint gave me a hearty "Hello" and a swift kick in the butt for wanting them to do something about it.
I had to order a new battery on amazon,

Has anyone else had a problem with them?

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
You need to call sprint over and over until someone handles it thats dangerous and could cause serious injuries or worse

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

patrao_n

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
definitely tell them that you are putting your body at risk carrying a faulty battery around in your device. I'm sure that will light a fire under their bum.

sent from MY BAD A$$ ET4G

vito032

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm with T-mobile and I was having trouble with my GS2 and they sent me a new phone and battery no problem.

Sent from long long ago in a galaxy far far away!

Nj763

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I also have been having this same issue. I thought it ony occurred when the battery was low, but happens to me on a full charge. Will Sprint charge me for a new battery?

patrao_n

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
It should still be under warranty. Call them and ask. It should be free. Its their and samsung's problem. If you have tep its eazy peazy.

sent from MY BAD A$$ ET4G

treotimAC

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Having same issue and ordered new battery off Amazon for $11. Hopefully it makes a difference.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I also have been having this same issue. I thought it ony occurred when the battery was low, but happens to me on a full charge. Will Sprint charge me for a new battery?

Sprint store gave me a new battery for my moms phone since it had heat issues. I was surprised they gave it to me for free since that ph has no insurance coverage.

joshrocker

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I was only able to last 6 or so hours with my previous stock battery that shipped with the device. I read somewhere about how the battery swelling could cause poor battery life. I read that if you lay your battery flat on a table and it could spin then you had a problem. Mine was spinning like a top so I quickly ordered a new one. I had no insurance on my phone so I ordered a new stock Samsung battery off of Amazon for around $11 bucks and now i'm getting all day battery life out of my phone again.

I guess it's up to you but if you can get a brand new battery for so cheap I wouldn't waste any more time arguing with Sprint. I'm not %100 sure that it's even their problem to owe you another battery. I guess it depends on how long you've had your phone for.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Battery swelling indicates a failure of the battery its not normal its not safe and if you continue trying to use it you risk it exploding or just leaking either way battery acid is a terrible pain. It needs to be properly disposed of and you need to talk to sprint or the oem to have them remedy it for free not paying for a new battery

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

AndroidJon

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Something really strange is going on...

Check out the sprint Epic Touch forums. This issue is popping up a lot recently.

Sprint Community: Samsung Galaxy S2 V4.0.4 FI27 Shuts Down Randomly

Sprint Community: 10/10 - Samsung Epic 4G Touch Software Update - S:D710.10S.FI27

Sprint Community: After Newest Update and reset.. phone rebooting... sucking battery fast... and freezing...

Sprint Community: Sudden, immediate, random, battery drain

Sprint Community: Friday fast battery drain - week 2

I started having battery issues right after the FI27 update. I would charge my phone up to 100 percent. Unplug it, and within minutes my phone would die. I turn it back on, and it will have a battery life of 50 percent and die within seconds. I am unable to use my phone. I think something with FI27 is messing with our phones. I see that numerous users are saying a new battery will fix the issue, but i'm concerned that this will only be temporary and we'll have to buy another battery.

Could it be that the initial update process damaged the battery? or that we're all reaching the end of life for our batteries at the same time?

It's only until I read the sprint forums and android central here that I see my battery is swelling up too. I'm getting a new battery in the mail soon, but before I put in my battery I think I might go back to Gingerbread.

Can anyone who has changed their battery and used their phone for a week let us know if you notice any swelling/lower battery life?

Uglyfido

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, I too had to order a new battery after mine started to develop a bulge. I too think it has a lot to do with the most recent FI27 update. All the other ICS updates were fine for me battery wise, and then this one comes along. I noticed a few little issues at first, and now I'm lucky to go a few hours with very light usage before I have to plug it in again. Of course, the bulge is the cause, but I think the bulge was caused by the update. Man, I hope JB rolls in quick and we can put the ICS updates to rest.

joshrocker

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
You can count me as one of the people who thinks the new update caused the problem. At first I thought ICS was just using more battery but after reading about so many problems I no longer think that's just alone is the cause.

zantia23

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Using new battery for a week now.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352604587583.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352604587583.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 29

mcs

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
There are also several threads about it on this forum, too.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...216061-please-help-having-problems-phone.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...oblems-batter-shows-major-drop-no-reason.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...arts-up-but-keeps-restarting.html#post2239640

I had the problem on the build before FI27, though (FI14, I think it was?). I've had a new battery for a couple of weeks (and Sprint soaked me for $50 for the thing...grrr) and no problems thus far. Battery life is fine, though I'm always topping off so I might not be the best judge.

AndroidJon

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
damn. Maybe as another poster (DEF3NDER) put it there is a "battery bulge epidemic".

I really believe the Ice Cream Sandwich update and the subsequent updates have messed up the battery life on the phone. can't wait for my new battery in the mail.

Jeremy Ruzanski

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Had Sprint finally confirm my battery was swollen, repair guy confirmed that after ics they've seen a lot of them... after I said everyone on android forums were talking about it. Shipped me a new battery at no cost... back to normal for me.

IBCNUNHELL

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Had Sprint finally confirm my battery was swollen, repair guy confirmed that after ics they've seen a lot of them... after I said everyone on android forums were talking about it. Shipped me a new battery at no cost... back to normal for me.

did you call them up or did you have to go to the store to get your battery replaced?