Calibrate Thunderbolt Battery

SPD

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this but I used this calibration technique to help improve the battery when I had the EVO. Just did it on the Thunderbolt so we'll see how it goes today. Also, for those new to Android and HTC, you will notice the battery gets better after a few days-week as its had time to condition. Anyway try this out if you want. I guess it was recommended by HTC for the EVO.

This is a one-time only procedure.

Turn the Thunderbolt on and charge it for 8 hours.
Unplug it and turn it off.
Plug it back in and charge for 1 hour.
Unplug it and turn it on.
Wait 2 minutes and turn it off.
Plug it back in and charge for 1 hour.

Here's a variation of these instructions:

Turn the Thunderbolt on and charge it until the LED indicator turns green.
Unplug it and turn it off.
Plug it back in and charge until the LED indicator turns green.
Unplug it and turn it on.
Once powered on completely, turn it off again.
Plug it back in and charge until the LED turns green.
Unplug it, turn it on, and use it normally.

Source: How to calibrate HTC EVO battery and possibly double your battery life

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I found this over at XDA and used it when putting the battery in for the first time. Didn't use the phone the first day in order to do this.

Now, I am using the 2750 maH battery and as of right now it has been running for 28 hours, 7.5 hours of actual phone use and the rest has been in sleep mode. The battery is now showing 44 percent battery remaining.

I will be doing the same thing with the standard battery that came with the TB. Right now the standard battery is still in the original packaging unopened so I'm anxious to see how much time I can get with the standard battery.

I am not liking the size/shape of the 2750 battery, it is huge and ugly but it does work well. YMMV

R

dt

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
doesnt seem to work for me, tried the trick yesterday, but no difference in battery life... losing about 7-8% battery life every 1.5 hrs on standby... seems a bit fast... need to figure out whats causing this

when i do the bump charging trick, it just shows as 100% so doesnt keep charging

anon(79257)

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
doesnt seem to work for me, tried the trick yesterday, but no difference in battery life... losing about 7-8% battery life every 1.5 hrs on standby... seems a bit fast... need to figure out whats causing this

when i do the bump charging trick, it just shows as 100% so doesnt keep charging

I turned off VZW location assistance in settings. That seemed to drain the battery quite a bit.

morsel

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I ran through this calibration (the abbreviated kind) last night, more or less, and when I turned on the phone at completion, it still only read 92%. Any thoughts?

Specifically, here's what I did:

Charged from dead, while on, until green.
Unplugged, turned off, charged again until green (~30 minutes)
Unplugged, turned on, waited a few, turned off, charged overnight.
Turned on, read 92%
(Then, while on, I charged it up to 100%, about another 30 minutes.)

SPD

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I ran through this calibration (the abbreviated kind) last night, more or less, and when I turned on the phone at completion, it still only read 92%. Any thoughts?

Turned on, read 92%
Thats kinda odd. Not sure.

bdragon

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, the last bump or 2, should be done with the phone off. That's how I did it on my Dinc. I never did the on and off part of it. Fully charge while on, then fully charge while off. Then I unplug it for like 10secs while off and then plug it back in.

millsap2

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
am I correct In assuming that is for VZ nav and their family finder type stuff..that o one uses?

if so iv got it off now 2.

I thought the same thing, but Google Navigation wouldn't work without it on (even though I had GPS and Google location services on).

Also, in one of the sticky threads up above, Cory indicated that you can leave it on without negatively affecting things.

djcyph

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site

Turned on, read 92%

that is the reason why....once u are at 100% for a extended period of time the phone stops charging automatically to protect the battery...

i do a bump charge in mornings when i am getting ready for work to get it to 99-100% because its only plugged in for about hour and wont harm it (from my understanding)

theres a link somewhere called ur phone battery is lying to or something that explains all of this

miss chris

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Here is my question that I can not seem to find an answer to on any of the threads about this. Is this something you are supposed to do one time or every morning. I kind of got the impressionn that those that used this method with the DInc did this everyday. If so, who has the time for that??

whusf

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Calibration works for me

The battery calibration worked very well for me. The first day out of the house at work without a charger, my battery had a less than 10% charge with minimal/moderate use at the five hour mark (creating somewhat of a stressful situation that made me want to throw my phone out the window). After calibration, I had a charge of nearly 60% after the same time period. While I can't say for certain that my use on both days was equal, I don't think it was substantially different.

While I'm still not sure if this obviates the need for an extended battery, I can say that the calibration does make a noticeable difference in battery life.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Just dumb that you have to go through all this so the battery lets you use the phone all day without worry. Just plain dumb. And I like HTC phones but from the Incredible to the EVO to the Thunderbolt, I'm sick of them and their negligence to battery life and power management. Motorola and Samsung do a much better job but their devices aren't as appealing. We shouldn't have to depend on pages length of tweaks, drawn out processes and developers to give us better battery life.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samsum08