Can't silence the camera shutter? (not even with Camera Zoom FX...

Nguyenning

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've gotten Camera Zoom FX, disables camera shutter... yet the sound is still there.

I even put the phone in silent mode, yet the shutter sound is still there.

Is it like the GS3 where muting the shutter isn't possible?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It is illegal in a ton of places to not have the shutter sound. This is to prevent 'candid' photos.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Nguyenning

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
that may be the case in Japan and where upskirt pictures are all over the place... but what about taking pictures at a ceremony/somewhere quiet? Lame

ColonelTravis

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Read on XDA that if you root the phone you can possibly do this:

1.) Edit build.prop and set the camera sound value to =0
2.) Find the "camera_click.ogg" file and delete it.

Have not rooted my phone, waiting a bit to see what happens with other people. Other people are starting to root with few problems. But I'm still gonna wait because I've read of small problems.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes you can root the phone and get rid of it.
No it is not just Japan, many states here in the US have that law. What you think we outsource pervs too?

bobby james

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
In the actual camera app, press the settings icon, scroll down and press shutter sound, there's 4 different tones and an off setting.

ens04

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
In the actual camera app, press the settings icon, scroll down and press shutter sound, there's 4 different tones and an off setting.
My phone doesnt have an off setting but it does have the 4 different tones.
Is there any way for the off setting to show up? because I dont see it.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
My phone doesnt have an off setting but it does have the 4 different tones.
Is there any way for the off setting to show up? because I dont see it.

Not sure what phone or version of android the other guy is on, but it is not there. You cannot turn it off. Period. End finish done. If you want it gone, root and delete the tone

bobby james

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the AT&T version. Not rooted. It's in the settings in the camera app. Also, having the phone on silent will also silence the shutter sound.

JSchoey

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I have the Sprint version and my phone is rooted is well; I can't silence the shutter sound. Definitely could be a Sprint only issue.

turtle3#AC

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Here's how to silence it on the stock Sprint version:

Difficulty level: 2/10

1. Root your phone
2. Using your favorite Root Explorer open /system/media/audio/ui and rename camera_click.ogg to camera_click.old (ironically, on the LG phone this is not the audio file used by the stock camera, but if you don't delete this file other cameras like CameraZoom will have a shutter sound)
3. In /system open build.prop. Make a backup before editing. About 2/3 of the way down under the group heading "ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES" is one line that reads "ro.camera.sound.forced=1" Change the "1" to "0". Save the file. Reboot your phone

After doing this, when the phone is on silent there is no shutter sound. If you want a silent shutter when the ringer is on, go to System-Sound-Volumes and make the "Touch feedback & System" volume zero.

Whoala...silent camera.

turtle3#AC

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
yeah step 1 there is the killer haha (for those of us who don't want to root)
So, I'd give it a little higher than 2/10

Hhhmmm...well, rooting this phone is easier than I've ever seen. Takes less than 1 min once the drivers are installed. It's a 2/10 skill-level root for sure. Just follow the instructions in the sticky at the top of this forum.

Umang Anand

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello ,

You can temporarily put the phone on mute by using the Android Notifications Bar and then clik the photo at any resolution.

There will be no shutter sound. This alternative can be used as a quick step for taking silent photos.

Do remember to turn the phone sound on from notifications bar.

cheers,
Umang