Charging indicator on screen won't turn off while phone is turned off?

jkel777

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I just received my HTC One GPe two days ago, and am absolutely loving it so far! Just might pass on the N5... Lol we'll see though.

However, I have one minor gripe. When I plug my phone in to charge at night and shut it down, the on screen charging indicator (the battery with the "bolt" in the middle, like the N4) will not go away. I know it's supposed to be there since it's a GPe device, but on my N4, it went away after about 5 seconds. On the One GPe, it does not go away at all. I'm only concerned because this is not an AMOLED screen, so the entire screen is being lit up while charging with the phone off. Is this normal for the GPe? I unlocked the bootloader, flashed TWRP, and rooted it right when I got it. I'm also on the stock 4.3 ROM.

EDIT: Not sure if this is worth mentioning, but when that charging indicator is on the screen when the phone is off and charging, all I have to do is press the power button to turn the phone on, not hold it.

EDIT 2: Also, on xda, a user said that it went away after a few minutes. I've only given it about 2 minutes to disappear, so maybe I need to just give it more time?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I just received my HTC One GPe two days ago, and am absolutely loving it so far! Just might pass on the N5... Lol we'll see though.

However, I have one minor gripe. When I plug my phone in to charge at night and shut it down, the on screen charging indicator (the battery with the "bolt" in the middle, like the N4) will not go away. I know it's supposed to be there since it's a GPe device, but on my N4, it went away after about 5 seconds. On the One GPe, it does not go away at all. I'm only concerned because this is not an AMOLED screen, so the entire screen is being lit up while charging with the phone off. Is this normal for the GPe? I unlocked the bootloader, flashed TWRP, and rooted it right when I got it. I'm also on the stock 4.3 ROM.

EDIT: Not sure if this is worth mentioning, but when that charging indicator is on the screen when the phone is off and charging, all I have to do is press the power button to turn the phone on, not hold it.

EDIT 2: Also, on xda, a user said that it went away after a few minutes. I've only given it about 2 minutes to disappear, so maybe I need to just give it more time?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hey man, glad you finally got the phone. I told you it was awesome:) It seems like I read somewhere on XDA that the display staying lit like that has to do with the kernel. Not sure if you have tried any alternate kernels but that may take care of it if it bothers you. I used to turn my phone off when charging because it charges faster but with the screen lit up with the bolt, it actually charges faster to me when it is powered on. It's kind of annoying but nothing I can't live with. I may flash a different kernel to see if it takes care of it. Other than that you like the phone?

jkel777

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey man, glad you finally got the phone. I told you it was awesome:) It seems like I read somewhere on XDA that the display staying lit like that has to do with the kernel. Not sure if you have tried any alternate kernels but that may take care of it if it bothers you. I used to turn my phone off when charging because it charges faster but with the screen lit up with the bolt, it actually charges faster to me when it is powered on. It's kind of annoying but nothing I can't live with. I may flash a different kernel to see if it takes care of it. Other than that you like the phone?

Hey man! Thanks for the response. I'm loving it! The screen is incredible, the speakers are awesome, and the camera isn't half bad! A big improvement over the N4 and HOX I previously owned.

Interesting, that makes sense! Thankfully it's a normal occurrence. I'm considering flashing CM 10.2, but why bother when I already have the stock GPe ROM? :) It definitely is a minor gripe to me, since I like to turn my phone off at night and let it charge. But what I think I'll do is just keep it on like you said, but turn on airplane mode at night so I don't get woken by notifications.

And yes, other than that, I love the phone! I'm glad there's a close community over here and on XDA. Makes me feel right at home haha. Again, thanks for the help!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey man! Thanks for the response. I'm loving it! The screen is incredible, then speakers are awesome, and the camera isn't half bad! A big improvement over the N4 and HOX I previously owned.

Interesting, that makes sense! Thankfully it's a normal occurrence. I'm considering flashing CM 10.2, but why bother when I already have the stock GPe ROM? :) It definitely is a minor gripe to me, since I like to turn my phone off at night and let it charge. But what I think I'll do is just keep it on like you said, but turn on airplane mode at night so I don't get woken by notifications.

And yes, other than that, I love the phone! I'm glad there's a close community over here and on XDA. Makes me feel right at home haha. Again, thanks for the help!

Not a problem. I also thought about CM 10.2 but like you said we already have a fully supported stock from Google/HTC. If you are missing some of the customization's of CM, you can try the xposed installer and use gravity box to mod status bar,battery mod,include advanced power menu and much more. It's great!

jkel777

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Not a problem. I also thought about CM 10.2 but like you said we already have a fully supported stock from Google/HTC. If you are missing some of the customization's of CM, you can try the xposed installer and use gravity box to mod status bar,battery mod,include advanced power menu and much more. It's great!

Awesome, thanks for that info! I do sort of miss the customizations of CM, so I may have to try that, or just flash CM lol. I just don't like having to flash a new build every night... I'm the kind of Android enthusiast that has to have the lastest and greatest haha.

Oh, one more question. Do you know what kind of ROMs we can flash on the GPe? Kind of a broad question, but I ask because I may want to try Sense sometime in the future. Do I have to convert my GPe into a Sense version before I can flash a Sense ROM? I'm kind of confused because there isn't a dedicated section over on XDA specifically for the GPe.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Awesome, thanks for that info! I do sort of miss the customizations of CM, so I may have to try that, or just flash CM lol. I just don't like having to flash a new build every night... I'm the kind of Android enthusiast that has to have the lastest and greatest haha.

Oh, one more question. Do you know what kind of ROMs we can flash on the GPe? Kind of a broad question, but I ask because I may want to try Sense sometime in the future. Do I have to convert my GPe into a Sense version before I can flash a Sense ROM? I'm kind of confused because there isn't a dedicated section over on XDA specifically for the GPe.

No you don't have to convert. If you are bootloader unlocked with custom recovery you should be able to flash any Sense 5 or GPE rom from the regular ONE forum on XDA. I fully converted and took the 4.3 GPE OTA and I am still able to flash Sense 5 roms, I just haven't been able to stick with them because to me stock is that much better. That being said, a lot of ONE users do prefer Sense 5 so it wouldn't hurt to check it out. If you like the look/feel of pure android though you will end up back on GPE I promise:)

jkel777

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
No you don't have to convert. If you are bootloader unlocked with custom recovery you should be able to flash any Sense 5 or GPE rom from the regular ONE forum on XDA. I fully converted and took the 4.3 GPE OTA and I am still able to flash Sense 5 roms, I just haven't been able to stick with them because to me stock is that much better. That being said, a lot of ONE users do prefer Sense 5 so it wouldn't hurt to check it out. If you like the look/feel of pure android though you will end up back on GPE I promise:)

Finally, a straight answer! Haha thank you for clearing up my confusion. I see you have Android Revolution installed and I was considering flashing that one. Do you have the Sense version or GPe version?

So you mean that I can flash any ROM in the HTC One forum, from either the Original Android Development section or the Android Development section?

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out! Just flashed Android Revolution GE 3.2. I like how it's stock Android GE with optimizations! I chose every optimization option in the Aroma Installer... Lol. We'll see how it goes over the course of a few days.

Last edited:

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Finally, a straight answer! Haha thank you for clearing up my confusion. I see you have Android Revolution installed and I was considering flashing that one. Do you have the Sense version or GPe version?

So you mean that I can flash any ROM in the HTC One forum, from either the Original Android Development section or the Android Development section?

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out! Just flashed Android Revolution GE 3.2. I like how it's stock Android GE with optimizations! I chose every optimization option in the Aroma Installer... Lol. We'll see how it goes over the course of a few days.

I am running the GE version. Love stock Android way too much to go back to Sense! You enjoying the ONE GPE so far?

jkel777

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I am running the GE version. Love stock Android way too much to go back to Sense! You enjoying the ONE GPE so far?

I agree. Haven't tried Sense, but I may want to just to try some of the features. I'm absolutely loving it! The N5 has to be near perfect for me to even consider buying it lol.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Haven't tried Sense, but I may want to just to try some of the features. I'm absolutely loving it! The N5 has to be near perfect for me to even consider buying it lol.

I told you man! When I got the ONE I love it on Sense but was still fully intending on getting the N5 when it comes out. I tried a GE Rom and was hooked! After doing the full conversion I was in love. In order for the N5 to sway me it will have to have at least 32gb of internal storage, a 1080p display, amazing sound both through the speaker and headphones, a great camera, and solid build quality. I just don't see that happening. BTW there is now a 4.3 based Sense 5 rom on XDA Maximus HD 12.1. I just tried it out and it's really nice but I just can't leave stock. It's too perfect:)

jkel777

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I told you man! When I got the ONE I love it on Sense but was still fully intending on getting the N5 when it comes out. I tried a GE Rom and was hooked! After doing the full conversion I was in love. In order for the N5 to sway me it will have to have at least 32gb of internal storage, a 1080p display, amazing sound both through the speaker and headphones, a great camera, and solid build quality. I just don't see that happening. BTW there is now a 4.3 based Sense 5 rom on XDA Maximus HD 12.1. I just tried it out and it's really nice but I just can't leave stock. It's too perfect:)

Yeah! I was thoroughly convinced I would be selling the One and getting the N5... Now I'm not so sure! I absolutely agree with those specs; if it doesn't have those then I don't really see a point in buying it! Maaaaybe if it has a Snapdragon 800 processor I'll consider it, but it's gotta be really good to top the One GPe! Interesting, I may try that out! I think I'll try Android Revolution HD 13.2 first. I wanna see what all the fuss about Sense is lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xenomorf