Conclusion: S3 design is bland

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree with an earlier post. It depends on what device history that you have had. In my case, I came from RIM. You can't more vanilla than that. The GS3 design is much more pleasing to hold and the design cues are great in terms of the placement of capacitive buttons, homescreen button and power/volume rocker. They all function well in a more comprehensive perspective.

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Guess everyone's taste is different. I personally love the design. What you may find bland, I find simple, sleek, and sexy. Love the gentle curvature of the phone.

Exactly. That's one of the reasons i didn't choose any of the HTC phones. To much going on with there designs. Sleek n simple is my S3!!

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
IMO it's not necessarily bland, but lazy.

It has 2 Gigs of RAM, how is that lazy:p

I can't disagree with the OP any more, love this phone (first Android phone I have had since the OG Droid,) That I is actually going to me content with for up to a year. And I have had most of them.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Where did you buy yours from? I bought mine from Spain and it was 600? / 700$. 940$ seems like a ripoff.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

yeah it should be cheaper but my fiance bought me it from a shop where you pay it up each month at high interest rate. i nearly punched her :p

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, unless the phone is a pink Hello Kitty phone how does the S3 look unprofessional??

I find it funny and disturbing that the nitpicking has gotten this anal. If one finds the design boring why not have simply bought another device that suits your style requirements better?

Rev.

I love how ready people are to assume the worst in a comment. Is there anywhere in my post that I said I hated the design, or that the phone was crap? No, basically I stated that I thought the design was bland. I was lukewarm towards the design when I bought it, hoping that it would grow on me.

Why would I buy a device that underperforms based on a prettier shell? That is just plain stupid.

What I find even more amazing is how much style comes into play according to the discussions here. I use my phone to make calls, text, keep track of my scheduling, etc. I have never felt the need to have it match my socks or anything else as absurd as that. I agree with you completely that if the design is so boring and bothers the owner so much then why purchase the phone to begin with? If you purchase a phone when you KNOW you don't like it then it's only a matter of time before other things about the phone will bother you as well.

Again, I hardly said that it really bothers me, or that I couldn't live without it, I said it was bland. Meaning lacking of personality in appearance.

I did not purchase the phone stating that I did not like it. I purchased the phone because I believed it would be the best fit for my needs/wants at the time. I repeat that I find the phone works great and does what I want it to do.

There is nothing wrong with stating that the aesthetics of the design do not appeal to me. I did not purchase the device because it was sexy looking or ugly. I think for the ONE thing that I have finally come to terms with is that I find the design bland to look at.

I appreciate it that everyone here is generally enthusiastic about the product, but please do note, I believe my post was not put to inflame the masses, just to share my view on it's design. I am not slagging on the phone's performance or screen size.

jivegirl14

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I just got my sexy garnet red GS3 a few days ago and agree with most here that it's very beautiful and also has a very premium feel and look (in red anyway). My biggest problem is with the stock email app and the outdoor screen visibility. This thing is FAST and the Swiftkey keyboard makes the iOS keyboard look silly as does most of the other great FREE apps in the market. But I think the design is VERY nice in all ways including the removable battery and microSD slot for up to 64 gigs extra storage!

For viewing in bright sunlight/outside I use the Negative Colours option. Settings >Accessibility > Negative Colours. It's also a widget. I've no problem seeing the screen outdoors even in bright sunlight as long as Negative Colours is switched on. When I get out of the sunlight or indoors I switch off Negative Colours.

Reactions: GalaxyOnyxWitch

jivegirl14

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I love how ready people are to assume the worst in a comment. Is there anywhere in my post that I said I hated the design, or that the phone was crap? No, basically I stated that I thought the design was bland. I was lukewarm towards the design when I bought it, hoping that it would grow on me.

Why would I buy a device that underperforms based on a prettier shell? That is just plain stupid.

Again, I hardly said that it really bothers me, or that I couldn't live without it, I said it was bland. Meaning lacking of personality in appearance.

I did not purchase the phone stating that I did not like it. I purchased the phone because I believed it would be the best fit for my needs/wants at the time. I repeat that I find the phone works great and does what I want it to do.

There is nothing wrong with stating that the aesthetics of the design do not appeal to me. I did not purchase the device because it was sexy looking or ugly. I think for the ONE thing that I have finally come to terms with is that I find the design bland to look at.

I appreciate it that everyone here is generally enthusiastic about the product, but please do note, I believe my post was not put to inflame the masses, just to share my view on it's design. I am not slagging on the phone's performance or screen size.

Perhaps if you'd started with a less inflamatory title? Like " Just My Opinion: Design is bland." Or: " Aesthetics of the Design do not appeal to me..."

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Is there anywhere in my post that I said I hated the design, or that the phone was crap?

No, and that's why my post says "I find it funny and disturbing that the *nitpicking* has gotten this anal". I didn't say you called the phone crap nor that you hated it, being a little defensive are we?

Look at the iPhone 4S, it's plain and bland in every way possible. About the only visual aesthetic to it is the metal ring going around the body, outside of that it's just a black (or white) glass covered front with a single home button. Look at the Motorola Razr Maxx as well, how is it any less "bland" than the S3? That's simply my point, I don't know how a phone should look any less bland without tattoo skins or some other weirdness added to them.

Rev.

Reactions: rwings01

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps if you'd started with a less inflamatory title? Like " Just My Opinion: Design is bland." Or: " Aesthetics of the Design do not appeal to me..."

LOL! Perhaps but it's not like I said S3 design suxx!! My title was actually quite subtle for me ;)

No, and that's why my post says "I find it funny and disturbing that the *nitpicking* has gotten this anal". I didn't say you called the phone crap nor that you hated it, being a little defensive are we?

Look at the iPhone 4S, it's plain and bland in every way possible. About the only visual aesthetic to it is the metal ring going around the body, outside of that it's just a black (or white) glass covered front with a single home button. Look at the Motorola Razr Maxx as well, how is it any less "bland" than the S3? That's simply my point, I don't know how a phone should look any less bland without tattoo skins or some other weirdness added to them.

Rev.

It is as you say, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. I thought the iP4 design nice, but my roommate hates it. I just didn't like how fragile it felt when I had it out of the case! :)

Anyways, apologies if I ruffled anyone's feathers, not my intent.

I still think the design looks bland ;)

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
LOL! Perhaps but it's not like I said S3 design suxx!! My title was actually quite subtle for me ;)

It is as you say, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. I thought the iP4 design nice, but my roommate hates it. I just didn't like how fragile it felt when I had it out of the case! :)

Anyways, apologies if I ruffled anyone's feathers, not my intent.

I still think the design looks bland ;)

One of the problems with sites like this is the number of folks that purchased something and now must defend the death ( and frequently in an insulting way) their purchase against any and all evildoers (or people that insinuate that their device is not all everything). I was kind of following this discussion but I have decided to get off the ride now...

Mike

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE:

Ok, LOL! I just got my casemate barely there case (custom with my choice of photo or art) and I am VERY surprised on just what a difference it makes from my other case.

Seriously, I really never though that my last case was bad by any means. It actually offers more protection than the CaseMate one.

Result: I really really like how my phone looks now... So it wasn't the design of the S3 I found bland, I guess it was hiding it in a bulkier case....who knew???

If I can get around to it, I will take and include some pics!..

Cheers!

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I actually like the design of the S3. S1 had similar traits as the iphone 3g and 3gs to me which is okay. S2 looked different a rigid look that reminded me of metal. The S3 is the opposite of the S2. It's curved figure of the overall shape, plastic and glass seems different then other smartphones to me. Which is why I like it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29