Did you test your upload speed on 3g?

ap77

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Sprint has reasons to cripple the phone, Samsung does not. From what I've seen on other carriers, it's never the manufacturer of the phone that cripples the phone or data intensive programs. It's always the carrier. Usually to avoid overloading of the network.

I wasn't suggesting that Samsung had intentionally crippled the phone but had perhaps messed something up on the software or hardware side of the radio.

Again: it's difficult to see why Sprint would intentionally cripple only the upload speed on only one phone. Could have been a mistake there as well, of course.

epbb

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't suggesting that Samsung had intentionally crippled the phone but had perhaps messed something up on the software or hardware side of the radio.

Again: it's difficult to see why Sprint would intentionally cripple only the upload speed on only one phone. Could have been a mistake there as well, of course.

Well, it's also their newest phone. Hopefully this is not a "new" thing with all future phones.

heavy1metal

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I have an EVDO tower close by and I'm getting about the same EVDO speeds I got with my Samsung M620 phone with USB tethering. My average is about 400 kilobits per second down and 140 up. In all the testing I've done over the last few years I've never gotten more than 150 kbs up--and that's with 3 different EVDO phones but all with Sprint.

Unless I get an update that fixes my 4G (can't connect at all anywhere in Baltimore) I'll have to swap this phone for a new one or even ditch the Epic and go back to my old phone.

I work in elkridge right outside of baltimore and I get a mostly strong connection on the 4g network, I haven't tested any speeds yet.

epbb

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I think the most r*tarded reps are sent to sprint chat department. Takes them 30 minutes just to understand what you're needing help with.

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
yeah okay
it all depends where you are/what time/what else is going on with the network.

im sitting in the middle of a downtown chicago office building and am getting .11mbps down and .23mbps up. with 548ms latency.

compare that to when i was at home yesterday getting 1.87mbps down and .57mbps up. even here in the middle of a building in downtown chicago, i am getting faster upload than the claimed "cap"

maybe the 3g towers near you are capping your epic. the epic itself, is NOT capped on 3g.

epbb

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
It's not the towers because I've had an Evo and know people who have Evos. We've sat in the same rooms testing speeds and uploading pics. The Evos are always faster, with my friend's epic and mine always capped. How do you expain this as well as the other people who have posted?

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
1.87mbps down and .57mbps up on 3g. Haven't noticed a difference between the epic and my old pre on 3g.

4g on the other hand, flies.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Code:
S:D700.0.5S.DG27

i just tested it against the sprint 3g/4g broadband card in my laptop (in 3g mode) and was getting comparable, if not better, speeds on the epic.

I feel the same way. I never noticed an issue until I decided to speed test my epic after reading about the "cap". I was thoroughly disappointed (even though I still noticed no difference) and then I came to my senses and tested it against other evdo rev a devices. Then all was well as I noticed no difference in speed or usability, and until it does effect my usability it wont be of much concern to me. I look at this issues the same way other synthetic benchmarks are on other hardware. For instance you have 2 close GPUs one tests at 10k 3dmarks and the other tests at 8k. Well in the real world they both get the same FPS in all games and can render cad the same as well. This could just mean the epic doesnt benchmark well with synthetic radio tests at this time.

I work in elkridge right outside of baltimore and I get a mostly strong connection on the 4g network, I haven't tested any speeds yet.

I get a spotty 4g coverage in columbia. At work I can turn on 4g and get on and off coverage. Really not worth turning it on, but when Im in baltimore I ALWAYS have 4g on.

Glad to see Sprint hiring the best and brightest.

This goes for ALL large tech companies. Levels 1-2 (sometimes 3 too) are all scripted and most are helpless non techies reading a binder for the product they are pretending to support. Sad but the only way to afford a tech department that can handle to work load. Think about how much they would have to pay for actual IT professionals to work a call center. It would put them out of business.

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
It's not the towers because I've had an Evo and know people who have Evos. We've sat in the same rooms testing speeds and uploading pics. The Evos are always faster, with my friend's epic and mine always capped. How do you expain this as well as the other people who have posted?
could be the pairing of some of sprints towers to the epic.

attached is a screen shot of a bunch of speedtests i did while sitting here. if i have the same [general] hardware/firmware as someone who claims theirs is capped, then it cannot be the phone itself, right?

epbb

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
could be the pairing of some of sprints towers to the epic.

attached is a screen shot of a bunch of speedtests i did while sitting here. if i have the same [general] hardware/firmware as someone who claims theirs is capped, then it cannot be the phone itself, right?

Your upload speeds are faster than your download speeds? :eek:

footysr

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
This goes for ALL large tech companies. Levels 1-2 (sometimes 3 too) are all scripted and most are helpless non techies reading a binder for the product they are pretending to support. Sad but the only way to afford a tech department that can handle to work load. Think about how much they would have to pay for actual IT professionals to work a call center. It would put them out of business.

Then again, they could eliminate levels 1, 2 & 3 and get some work done. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards