DROID DNA 2.xx S-OFF (coming soon)

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I run puppy linux on my laptop..its an older Toshiba. Its not difficult, you just need to have patience and time to get used to it. My kids use it to browse pbskids.

Sent from my Droid DNA

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I think he mentioned that you could use a Live CD/DVD. You shouldn't have to install any Linux if you don't want to. A LiveCD runs from the CDROM and does not change anything on your hard disks (unless you ask it to). If you're not a Linux person, and only need it for this ROM purpose, I would NOT install Linux on my PC. Just download one of the 32bit LiveCD ISOs and burn it to a CD.

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I think he mentioned that you could use a Live CD/DVD. You shouldn't have to install any Linux if you don't want to. A LiveCD runs from the CDROM and does not change anything on your hard disks (unless you ask it to). If you're not a Linux person, and only need it for this ROM purpose, I would NOT install Linux on my PC. Just download one of the 32bit LiveCD ISOs and burn it to a CD.

That's what puppy linux is..a live CD bootable on any computer without touching your harddrive.

Sent from my Droid DNA

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
That's a good example then.

I like linux a lot, but if you're just using it to facilitate this Moonshine S-OFF operation, and you're not familiar with it or have a spare PC that you want it on, I see absolutely no reason to install it and mess with your existing OS. If this works with a LiveCD, then it's absolutely awesome news for all those who are windows or mac bound.

Jaredshoes

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Just an f.y.i after beaups posted that he never said we NEEDED linux for the tool even though it was asked many times that was the last time he posted.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
So coming from a Moto world, even after having read some of the links, I'm still a little confused as to this terminology, and I agree that the XDA guys are awesome, but not really tolerant of some questions. Maybe this belongs in a different thread (Jen, feel free to move it), but I'm going to ask for some better definitions:

My RAZR never needed a "S-OFF", but I had operating-system/android-level root access, which I needed to run some apps...I assume this S-OFF is a HTC thing?

Can someone help me clearly understand these "big three"?
  1. S-OFF
  2. Unlock
  3. Root

While I would like to possibly flash an entirely new ROM someday -- and want the flexibility to do so on my own device anyway -- my initial desire is to have that root-access to the stock Android ROM (this is sometimes called "superuser"). Is there an additional step, like instead of flashing CM10, run some util that grants me superuser access after I perform this [upcoming] Moonshine procedure?

Thanks for indulging a Moto-Convert. ;)
-AJ

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

Shhh... She almost became one of us! Lol all joking aside the ubuntu installer that I mentioned Jennifer will also allow you to boot as a live session. If you are interested in Linux my personal recommendation is fedora but everyone has their favorite flavor :)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I tried installing again and it did the same thing :-( curious, do you have to s-off in order to flash a custom Rom? Or is there a method of just unlocking/rooting? Many people say they are running a custom Rom without s-off.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I tried installing again and it did the same thing :-( curious, do you have to s-off in order to flash a custom Rom? Or is there a method of just unlocking/rooting? Many people say they are running a custom Rom without s-off.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

I think there was before verizon locked up the boot loader tightly.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I think there was before verizon locked up the boot loader tightly.

Ooh, ok. So the previous methods of rooting/unlocking have been voided and they havent released current methods. I didn't know if a seperate method would be possible in this case. In this tool, is everything going to be included to unlock, root, and gain s-off?

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Ooh, ok. So the previous methods of rooting/unlocking have been voided and they havent released current methods. I didn't know if a seperate method would be possible in this case. In this tool, is everything going to be included to unlock, root, and gain s-off?

Based on prior experience id say yes. Unlock and rooting can be slightly trickier on HTC than with motos and sammies but the folks putting these tools together usually make it as clear as can be. Not sure on the s-off step bc my only experience with that is the Rezzie and that's a bit of pain in the ***. Regardless of how easy or hard it'll be I'm sure there are enough folks willing to help you through it.

Posted via Android Central App

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Based on prior experience id say yes. Unlock and rooting can be slightly trickier on HTC than with motos and sammies but the folks putting these tools together usually make it as clear as can be. Not sure on the s-off step bc my only experience with that is the Rezzie and that's a bit of pain in the ***. Regardless of how easy or hard it'll be I'm sure there are enough folks willing to help you through it.

Posted via Android Central App

We're lucky enough to be here right when its being done, so that there will be plenty of help on the forums. Everything is outdated for my Droid 1 and I'm having some trouble getting files and help right now. All of the Master OTA's and old ROM's were all hosted on Megaupload... so yeah those are all gone.. lol

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
If it helps any,I sold mine to a used phone dealer for $240.00. That covered my new Galaxy S4 which was all I was looking for.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skrifjar14