Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Agree.my 1G without NE is -120. So my 4G is a lot better. Yes Verizon verified it's their tower. I agree it's phone, as this is the first I ever needed NE. That is why I still can't make or receive calls outside my house.

Maybe I spoke too soon. The way it usually goes is the older the tech, the higher the signal strength. So your 1x should be the highest, followed by 3G, and LTE should be the lowest of the three. So if they admitted their tower is screwed up then that very well could be the case. But I've also never heard of a NE being issued to someone only a mile from a tower. Like I said, on my 3G I'm getting a signal of -90 to -100dBm in a house with steel siding 20 miles from the tower.

Have they done anything beyond sending you a NE, or do they consider the matter closed? Because if they do I'd send an email or letter to a higher up,say your regional president, and tell them that this is unacceptable. What are they going to do when they make the switch to LTE completely and drop 3G, just drop you? If they have that crappy of service, they shouldn't be offering it to anyone. I don't suppose you have any other carriers you could switch to do you? Or another phone to test whether it is the tower or not? Because these techs seems pretty lazy about this.

psf57

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Actually I can't get 3G at all. It's all 4G LTE @ -92 dBm, okay on rainy/cloudy days It can go as low as -102. 1X, not using NE is -120. I don't know why the extender either. I asked them to check the tower, the rep did say it's a data only tower. Which means I should NOT need a NE. This is all because 1/2 the calls going to voicemail. They actually consider the matter closed. I still say it's a phone issue, as when not connected to extender cannot make any calls on AC (when not home) in 4G areas. Shows 4G, but phone would beep and disconnect. Oh, AT&T has 4G LTE and I'm surrounded by 4G only also.

mvp4him3

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
So I have tried to find anymore information on the June 10th push of 5.1 to our device and cannot find anything besides that one article. You would think if it was true it would be covered by more than one reporting website.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So I have tried to find anymore information on the June 10th push of 5.1 to our device and cannot find anything besides that one article. You would think if it was true it would be covered by more than one reporting website.

Because Motorola usually doesn't announce dates.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Last edited:

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Because Motorola usually doesn't announce dates.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

But it does usually run a soak test. I know you said previously that they have rolled out soak tests and the first wave of broader update at the sma time recently, but I can't see that happening with an update this big.

I suupose anything is technically possible, but I think June 10th is a bogus date of release.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Actually I can't get 3G at all. It's all 4G LTE @ -92 dBm, okay on rainy/cloudy days It can go as low as -102. 1X, not using NE is -120. I don't know why the extender either. I asked them to check the tower, the rep did say it's a data only tower. Which means I should NOT need a NE. This is all because 1/2 the calls going to voicemail. They actually consider the matter closed. I still say it's a phone issue, as when not connected to extender cannot make any calls on AC (when not home) in 4G areas. Shows 4G, but phone would beep and disconnect. Oh, AT&T has 4G LTE and I'm surrounded by 4G only also.

I've never even heard of a data only tower. Is it a new tower? Perhaps when they said data only what they meant was LTE only, but then you shouldn't be seeing 1x either, unless your NE is the earlier 1x model.

There are 2 NE models, the first was 1x only, and let you have 3 callers connected at any one time. The second was a 3G model and let you connect over 3G for calls and allowed like 10 callers connected. Can you post the model # for the NE, that would tell me which model you have, because it seems like you have the earlier 1x model, and I didn't even realize you could get them yet. That's what my 2 NEs are, and I got them on closeout in 2010 when they switched to the 3G model.

But either way, you shouldn't just let this go. You have a contract with Verizon, you pay them for reliable access to their cell network, and in return they provide that access. Bith side have to live up to their end of the contract. They will charge you fees if you try to break the contract, so they should be held accountable as well if they can't provide you the access you are paying for. I would try to get ahold of Verizon regional president for your area. In Verizon's network, the US is split between like 5 or 6 regions each with their own president. Try and find out who yours is and contact them directly. You may get to their secretary (which is who I got to when I contacted them) but I did get better answers than calling into the main number. But regardless, if you can't make calls reliably especially when you're away from home and have only their network to rely on, then they need to resolve the situation, not slap a bandaid on it and call it good.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I woke up this morning 6-6-15 and found a Lollypop Update (5.02) available on my LG G Pad 10.1 LTE (on Verizon). I was shocked and loaded it up and so far it works fine. The G pad was on 4.2 to boot.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
The way I see it if it is released then we get lollipop!...if not its not like we lost anything because weve already waited so long. But hopefully it happends

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
At this point, I don't really care about getting an update. Phone works good and on wifi at home and work. Wifi hasn't worked well elsewhere, but bumped data plan up to compensate at actually fairly reasonable cost. New unlocked and carrier free phone in the near future.

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Constantly amazed at all the issues people are having with the Turbo. This is the best device I've ever had. Battery is fantastic and everything runs snappy on KK. Of course the fact I have never activated VOLTE and do not plan to could have something to do with it. Frankly, I don't care about it. I use this thing as a handheld computer much,much more than a phone anyway, and it is fantastic at that. Lollipop can wait for all I care. But if it comes out next week, that's cool. We'll see.

I have to agree with you. Of course I use this as my phone. Having said that, I basically am on the internet for the biggest part of the day, I may not actually be reading something, but it's on (wi-fi). When I'm mobile I use it whenever I need to like anyone else. Our (wife and I) first smart phones was the Droid Ultra. I didn't have anything to compare it to and really liked it.

But the Turbo made me completely forget about the Ultra. My battery time has been great and there hasn't been one problem that I hear others talk about. Lucky maybe....don't know. Between the great battery life and the portable turbo charger and the Mophie or whatever it's called....portable charger. My battery is the last thing on my mind. I just hope the jump to Lollipop doesn't mess things up.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Just another note for patience maybe being the better approach on Lollipop (and note that it's more than S6 that's affected): http://a.mynews.ly/!ED.Cjt4C

I get a full day plus on my s6. Granted I am not a power user but still. My nexus 7 running 5.1.1 lasts 2 days easy. Most people complain about battery fail to research and adjust settings to maximize the battery life.

Posted via Android Central App nexus 7

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'll believe June 10th when I see it. No soak test and no one calling this date out. So until it happens I'm not going to worry about it. I'm leaving for vacation in a couple days and was planning on switching to my iPhone 6 Plus anyway because of the much better camera. But since my Turbo is acting up and I'm getting no help from Verizon I've already switched. I considered taking the Turbo with me and do the update if it comes while I'm gone but it's staying in the drawer until I get back. Gonna stay off this site as well as many others while I'm away and hopefully there will be a surprise when I get back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trexgameaz