Essential Ph-1 accessories

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
The SPARIN tempered glass cover available on Amazon is a total failure. The design of the Essential Phone seems to not be completely flat around the edges. And so the tempered glass protector cannot lay flush all the way around.

I think it's going to be a very difficult thing to find a good glass cover and that's a shame. I think they are, for lack of a better word, essential.

Crap those are the ones I bought lol

anon(30235)

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Essential PH1 Smartphone Case / Accessories

The phone was designed to not have a case at all. Why they went with way better materials. You have to have a case with an aluminum and glass phone. This is titanium which is a hell of lot more durable that aluminum. Ceramic is also very durable.

You always have the option to out a skin on the phone as well. Watch the drop tests for the phone and tell me you still need a case.

Yes...you NEED a case. All it took was for one accidental drop from my shirt pocket for the Gorilla Glass 5 screen to completely shatter. The titanium frame and ceramic back were unscathed, but the display was destroyed.

putt-dawg

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
Just filed a claim for cracked glass on my PH1. Took a fall from the counter to a tile floor, from about 3 feet up. This phone absolutely needs a case, and a screen protector. I have had it for 4 days. I am going to order the Viva Madrid case. THIS PHONE NEEDS A CASE.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I ordered the case and it should arrive this week. I have only had my Essential for 5 days and it's not the glass that has scratches, but the back. And it's not a "few" scratches, it's a lot. Has anyone else found scratches on the back of theirs?

I keep my phone in felted sleeve so no.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site

jascospeed

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I ordered the case and it should arrive this week. I have only had my Essential for 5 days and it's not the glass that has scratches, but the back. And it's not a "few" scratches, it's a lot. Has anyone else found scratches on the back of theirs?

I don't have any scratches anywhere on the phone, glass or back. That ceramic back is tough, my kid even spun it on granite, and it shows no wear. Not sure how people are getting scratches. Maybe it's a manufacturing defect in the ceramic. Possibly not cured long enough.

courier47

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
I had my phone for exactly 1 week. I looked down at it today on my desk and noticed what I thought was a hair on it. Well, it was a hairline crack on the bottom left corner but not on the edge. I have been babying this phone until I can find a good screen protector and case solution. I have not dropped it at all. Not sure what happened. I took it back to Sprint and they replaced it without hesitation ($30 restocking fee).

I ordered the Ace Armor Shield ProTek off Amazon and will also order the case mentioned above.

gwpinetree

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Essential PH1 Smartphone Case / Accessories

The phone was designed to not have a case at all. Why they went with way better materials. You have to have a case with an aluminum and glass phone. This is titanium which is a hell of lot more durable that aluminum. Ceramic is also very durable.

You always have the option to out a skin on the phone as well. Watch the drop tests for the phone and tell me you still need a case.

I had my phone for less than a week, got a RBEIK Premium 9H screen protector (also bubbles on the side). The phone fell off a poorly designed metal detector conveyor, hit a concrete floor and the screen spidered. Very disappointed after basically being told by Essential not to buy a case.

I suspect the glass is under some tension, which I hope they'll correct in the future --
possibly even recall the first edition. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktl2mLsSq4o.

I really like the phone, and will get a case or the replacement. Thanks for the tips on glass and cases. I advise getting one if you think a drop is possible (and who wouldn't?).

cyboman

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
nice find

I found this Galaxy S7 case that works great on my PH-1.
Had to take a razorblade to it for the camera and fingerprint sensor.
But i holds the phone VERY securely on the 4 corners and I can plug the charging cable in as well. I also trimmed the plastic around the side buttons to make them easier to access but you don't have to.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5992776

I'm going to try some other S7 cases because I would rather not have a wallet case but for now this is a great stop gap until some real PH-1 cases hit the market.

FYI: I had my first (unprotected) PH-1 fall off of a 32" high cart and it shattered the screen.

Dsat1908

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Essential Ph-1 accessories "Honor 8 will fit"

Good Morning has anyone found and good cases or screen protectors for the ph-1, or does this phone really not need anything. Amazon has some tempered glass and uninspiring wallet cases at the moment. I would feel better with a bumper case like I had on my Nexus 4 and some tempered glass. It will never happen but a lifeproof case for when I am at the pool or beach would be a dream come true. Not enough units to make that happen thougj

Last edited:

robertsawyer

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
My 360 camera came with a micro fibre case in the box. Though the camera seems impressively tough. I dropped mine and watched in terror as it slid lens down across concrete, but there are NO visible marks whatsoever.

The DragonTJH

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I found this Galaxy S7 case that works great on my PH-1.
Had to take a razorblade to it for the camera and fingerprint sensor.
But i holds the phone VERY securely on the 4 corners and I can plug the charging cable in as well. I also trimmed the plastic around the side buttons to make them easier to access but you don't have to.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6010674

I'm going to try some other S7 cases because I would rather not have a wallet case but for now this is a great stop gap until some real PH-1 cases hit the market.

FYI: I had my first (unprotected) PH-1 fall off of a 32" high cart and it shattered the screen.
I wonder if an S7 bumper case would work for it then?