First Impressions

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Definitely a big upgrade over my former S8+ phone. My 512gb N9 is much faster (and even more so after changing animations to 0.5), gets a stronger signal (on 4G and wifi), camera is a noticeable improvement. Haven't used the S-Pen a lot, but the Bluetooth features are nice. Battery life is also a huge improvement from what I've seen so far

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Picked up a Note 9 yesterday.

First impression is this is a sick device! Big but I'll adjust. The screen is even better than my regular S9 (which I traded in). Extra RAM is nice (regular S9 only had 4).

Battery life is the clincher though. The S9 just wasn't cutting it for me.

Only gripe is that the Note 9 is quite heavy.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm impressed with the performance just as I was with the S9+. The last few Samsung phones I have had (Note 7, S8, Note 8) have all had irritating little lags that I would see right away, but I've yet to experience that with the 9's. I'm not terribly pleased with the camera though. My Pixel 2XL almost always took incredible shots as did my iPhone X unless the sun was anywhere in the picture (horrible lens flair issue with the X). I get nice stills with the Samsung, but I find quick snaps are often blurred and auto-focus is always adjusting during video. However it is the same issue I had with the S9 so it was expected as the cameras are basically the same.

Ergonomics are nice and they've packed in a lot of usable features in such a manner that the size doesn't get in the way.

The stereo speakers surprised me. I watched a movie on it last night and actually paused because I was not expecting them to sound that nice. I normally avoid long media sessions without earbuds for just that reason.

Battery life remains to be seen. My biggest complaint about the S9+ was I got horrible battery life. I use the same suite of apps on every phone and use them in the same way. Something just didn't click with the S9.

Overall I'm happy. Yes it's outrageously priced (I got a new i7 16GB touchscreen Dell laptop last year for the same money), but that's the current market not necessarily Samsung's fault. As long as people still buy gabillions of thousand dollar phones manufacturers will continue to make them and price them accordingly.

All things considered, I think Samsung has a winner.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Picked up a Note 9 yesterday.

First impression is this is a sick device! Big but I'll adjust. The screen is even better than my regular S9 (which I traded in). Extra RAM is nice (regular S9 only had 4).

Battery life is the clincher though. The S9 just wasn't cutting it for me.

Only gripe is that the Note 9 is quite heavy.

Battery life and a great display are awesome! How heavy are you finding it - are you using a case with it?

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I've had the screen on 3 hours now and am at 60%, normally at this time on a weekend (solid morning use) I'd be plugging my N8 in for a bit. Loving the unique lavender color. Small hands and no complaints about size vs N8. Camera is a mixed bag but I'm used to that (and not skilled enough to fine tune it myself, might be a goal to learn how). Camera certainly not any worse than N8, just not amazing in every setting. S-pen notifications are annoying, I don't need the nagging over the bluetooth battery so I've silenced those, but one remains by the connectivity icon when it's detached (torn if I like that). Speakers are a clear improvement, FINALLY. Bixby remapping app has been more reliable than on my N8 which is funny to me (I have pro and set it to take screenshots). I haven't given Bixby 2.0 a shot, I admit. Hey Google update is less awkward to me than OK Google, nice timing since I tend to use this assistant. Iterative update from N8 is apparent but I'm very happy I upgraded (I do the every year upgrade through my carrier now). Fingerprint reader is awkward because I finally trained myself on N8, but once I'm used to this it's clearly placed better. For smaller hands moving it down a bit would even be better. Better call quality than my previous two N8 when using speaker (I get poor network signal in my house), callers report a noticable difference on their end.

Honeymoon phase really. Super happy as one should be with a new expensive purchase. No major complaints/issues whatsoever. As expected, battery life alone made this a worthy upgrade for me.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
After about 3 day, here's what I think.

- It's fast and everything has been smooth transition wise
- The camera is great and pictures are sharp. However, I don't like how some of the pictures are too warm.
- Super-SloMo is a bit tricky for me. For single shot it waits for motion to occur in the box (on screen).
- Haven't seen option for RAW photos or shutter sound
- Bluetooth features are nice and work well so far. I just don't see myself using them often.
- AR EMOJI is funny cause they look NOTHING like me!
- Stereo speakers are great. It's about time Samsung!
- S pen is kind of weird. I have to push it in just a little more than usual in order to get it out. I don't know if it's a defect or if it's made that way on the Note 9.
- I'm happy with the battery. It last noticeably longer than the note 8 (for me).
- There are small changes in Samsung Notes which are good but I still prefer S Note.

Chris Williams8

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site

- The camera is great and pictures are sharp. However, I don't like how some of the pictures are too warm.
- Super-SloMo is a bit tricky for me. For single shot it waits for motion to occur in the box (on screen).
- Bluetooth features are nice and work well so far. I just don't see myself using them often.
- S pen is kind of weird. I have to push it in just a little more than usual in order to get it out. I don't know if it's a defect or if it's made that way on the Note 9.
- I'm happy with the battery. It last noticeably longer than the note 8 (for me).
- There are small changes in Samsung Notes which are good but I still prefer S Note.
Yeah my S-pen is like that as well. I had to push it in more than usual. I don't think it's a defect though.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Yeah my S-pen is like that as well. I had to push it in more than usual. I don't think it's a defect though.

Lol yeah I didn't even notice till EMGSM mentioned it. To me it's not that much difference than the note8 but yeah I have to push in a tad bit more too. Probably meant to be that way.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

I lmao at that AR Emoji. I was like yeah that ain't me. It's cool tho.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I was playing on my note9 for a bit and realized my hand was getting tired from holding lol. So gave it a break and now playing on the note8 for a bit. Guess it's just the weight difference. Have to just get used to the note9. Lol.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I was playing on my note9 for a bit and realized my hand was getting tired from holding lol. So gave it a break and now playing on the note8 for a bit. Guess it's just the weight difference. Have to just get used to the note9. Lol.
Lol it's the same for me. The size doesn't seem that different until you go from one to the other. Thought it was just me experiencing that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_glow