Galaxy Note 10.1: 4.4.2 KitKat Update

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
What exactly is everyone hoping to gain from this update? What I am hearing is none of the new features of the 2014 are included. Just an OS update that apparently isn't all that great and forces you to root to properly access the external card. Sounds like a lot of waste of blood pressure elevation to me. The 2012 is a great tablet even after two years. Not at all sorry I have it and in no hurry to drop 600 on a 2014.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Improved battery life and performance
User profiles
Updated user interface
Onscreen Keyboard should be hidden using a Bluetooth keyboard

Nothing major but it be nice to get the update.

Posted via Android Central App

bluzman

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
What exactly is everyone hoping to gain from this update? What I am hearing is none of the new features of the 2014 are included. Just an OS update that apparently isn't all that great and forces you to root to properly access the external card. Sounds like a lot of waste of blood pressure elevation to me. The 2012 is a great tablet even after two years. Not at all sorry I have it and in no hurry to drop 600 on a 2014.
^This, I've got an update to 4.4.2 on my phone (S4) and I can't say it's anything special. The major PITA in 4.4.2 is what Google changed regarding accessing and managing files on an external SD card.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
^This, I've got an update to 4.4.2 on my phone (S4) and I can't say it's anything special. The major PITA in 4.4.2 is what Google changed regarding accessing and managing files on an external SD card.
Yep that change was what made me join the root club. Thank goodness for towelroot!

jnaught

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
The onscreen keyboard hiding when using a Bluetooth keyboard is worth the OS upgrade all by itself, as far as I am concerned!

Bruno Alves2

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
The update removes the ability to have more than 2 windows opened at the same time, and for this reason I am out, as I have the need to use 3 windows.
Not sure if removing features is 100% legal, as a few years ago, not sure where, Sony had to pay damages for removing features like the Linux OS, as they were part of original features and selling argument.

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

Compatibility with apps that are based on higher api levels.

And still no nordic kitkat...

Sent from my phone - Note 10.1 (N8000)

RAlfieri

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Motorola has done a much better job updating their hardware. I won't be buying another Samsung device in the near future. They're dragging way too long.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Motorola has done a much better job updating their hardware. I won't be buying another Samsung device in the near future. They're dragging way too long.

I agree with you on how slow Samsung is with the Tablet. The update with the phone depends on the carrier. Motorola is slow when it comes to updates also if you get one at all for the tablet. That is if you get an update at all Tablet wise. That is why I said I will not get another Android Tablet. I will stick with my Gnote 3 and will get the Gnote4 if it is a massive Upgrade from the Gnote3. If I get another Tablet. I will get an Ipad...

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you on how slow Samsung is with the Tablet. The update with the phone depends on the carrier. Motorola is slow when it comes to updates also if you get one at all for the tablet. That is if you get an update at all Tablet wise. That is why I said I will not get another Android Tablet. I will stick with my Gnote 3 and will get the Gnote4 if it is a massive Upgrade from the Gnote3. If I get another Tablet. I will get an Ipad...

Remember that N8000 is a phone as note3 althought N8000 is a tablet size device. Still i have android 4.1.2 (from january 2013) and we do not have carrier-models here. So again, why samsung doesnt update their phone models or carrier free devices either? There is no excuse for carrier free stuff...

I wont get another ipad but im interested in Surface3. I was planning to get another Note, 12.2, because I want to have all-in-one (a phone, a tablet and a pen) in the same package. A pen is a "must have" for me and ipad lacks a good pen. But obviously I cant have all-in-one if I ever want to get updates. This is the reason why im considering to get a phone and surface3 (or the next one, if the pen is good) when it is time to replace my Note.

Sent from my phone - Note 10.1 (N8000)

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I agree that I will never buy another Samsung device. While I dont expect updates, a device thats only 18mo old max and now stagnates to the point I have to downgrade apps to work on it is f÷%+$ ing ridiculous -- yes I want cheese with my whine ... but seriously, I am kissing Samsung goodbye from a long loyal fan.

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
i already bought another phone (n8000 was my phone) and replacing my n8000 by a tablet as soon as i find something decent.

21.9.2014 and their premium flagship is still running android 4.1.2.

bought on sept. 2012, android 4.0
updated on jan. 2013, android 4.1
thats all. then nothing...

no more samtoys.

Sent from OPO.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
The biggest problem there is the ONE update ... I can get them not doing 4.4.4 but if enthusiasts can create the firmware and ROMs why can't Samsung. I mean one guy even has a code review and Jenkins builds ... It just shows their motivation and business model isn't to update the software to get people the buy their incessant march of tweaked variants. Apple take a lesson, at some point your sheep turn on you.

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
i would have bought sp3 to replace my note, but i7 has some heat problems so I decided to skip it and see what comes with broadwell design... im also interested in seeing ipad pro, if that ever is going to happen.. lol...

and yes i could use the german fw too, but it shouldnt be on this way - they should offer it as ota not me being feeding my tablet by fw from another country. and the worst part is the customer service "we dont know" - do they know anything else than how to update samsung pointless facebook pages and news from new devices on every single day..

Sent from OPO.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I'd give up ... The 10.1 2012 is now officially two years old, they held out long enough now to claim EOL and EOA is coming soon too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174