Galaxy Note 10.1: 4.4.2 KitKat Update

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I did give up about two weeks ago. I went ahead and installed Gnabo rom. 4.4.2 available on xda. It works great!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

bluzman

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I did give up about two weeks ago. I went ahead and installed Gnabo rom. 4.4.2 available on xda. It works great!
How difficult was the install. The instructions (below) are pretty sketchy for a novice.

Download the ROM, SuperSu, Kernel for N801X, WiFi Fix for N801X and Remove phone stuff for N801x
- Put zips in the internal/external sdcard
- Full wipe (cache, dalvik, data, system, ecc)
- Flash the ROM, SuperSu, Kernel and Remove phone stuff for N801x
- Reboot and do the setup
- Reboot in recovery
- Flash WiFi Fix for N801X
- Reboot
- Enjoy

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
How difficult was the install. The instructions (below) are pretty sketchy for a novice.

Download the ROM, SuperSu, Kernel for N801X, WiFi Fix for N801X and Remove phone stuff for N801x
- Put zips in the internal/external sdcard
- Full wipe (cache, dalvik, data, system, ecc)
- Reboot in recovery
- Flash WiFi Fix for N801X
- Reboot
- Enjoy

It is not hard at all once you have done it a few times. That's the trick. The instructions seem vague but after you have gone through the process it becomes clear. watch a few YouTube videos on installing roms on a Samsung device. Preferably on this exact device. Once you see it being done you will under stand it better. Then do it in bite size steps. First find and download all the files you need. If you are in doubt about which exact file to use make sure you figure that out before proceeding. So
Watch videos to learn the general process
Read: Read the entire thread on XDA. The process will become clearer and clearer to you as you read everybodies questions on the process.

Prerequisites
You will need to install a custom recovery. Philz Custom Touch Recovery is the best one for our devices.
After you have installed the new recovery make a back up of your original system. That way if you don't like the new rom or you have issues with it you can restore your back up. (This will be handy if Samsung ever comes out with an actual update. You will need to restore the device to factory stock before it will accept an Official update.)

Print out the directions

(I put mine on my pc in a Folder on my desktop called Gnabo Rom Then copied that folder to the sdcard)
- Put zips in the internal/external sdcard (I would put them on the external sdcard)
- Full wipe (cache, dalvik, data, system, ecc) (this is why you need a custom recover before you begin)

- Reboot in recovery
- Flash WiFi Fix for N801X (make sure you do this after rebooting for the first time and not when you flash everything else)
- Reboot
- Enjoy

If it doesn't work just start over. Until you get it right. Once you have successfully done it once you will realize it is not that difficult.

Last edited:

bluzman

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I'm of the opinion that the N8013 is never going to get an official KitKat update so I guess I'll give a ROM like Gnabo a try.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the instructions are vague I agree ... Once you get them on the sdcard the key is be patient, its not the most feedback friendly flashing and you may think its stalled just be patient

Posted via Android Central App

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the instructions are vague I agree ... Once you get them on the sdcard the key is be patient, its not the most feedback friendly flashing and you may think its stalled just be patient

Good point. It can take much longer than you think it should. The worst thing you can do is unplug it or interrupt it in the middle. It will probably take five or ten minutes but it could take an hour. Just be patient. It will tell you when it is done.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

mclasser

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I was really gung-ho about getting Kit Kat on our tablet one day but after reading about the issues with SD card access and only dual-window support, I don't care so much anymore.

I've spruced up the dated look of my tablet with Nova Launcher and love how it looks now.

Posted with my Nexus 5

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Still stuck on 4.1.2 since the day I got my N8020 tablet March 2013 (released Dec/Jan 2013 in A.U with 4.1.2 ) Not one update since release, this is a disgrace, no more Samsung for me. Yet it seems other regions do get updates.

Galaxy Note 10.1 Receives Android 4.4.4 OTA Update in Asia [How to Install]
I will never buy another Samsung Tablet ever again. I will go with Apple for my next tablet. I am so upset how Samsung treats their customers when it comes to updates for the 2012 GNOTE 10.1. This is unacceptable. I will stick with my GNOTE3 and will get the GNOTE4 phone.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I have to say -- I went to Best Buy today to play with the 12.2 Note and 10.1 note 2014 editions ... after installing 4.4.2 with Gnabo ROM, and now having root as well -- I wanted to see just how much of a difference the new note updates felt ... I also have the Samsung 2012 keyboard ... I use my note for well, notes, and I create a lot of content like meeting minutes, PPT, etc ... the new 2014 note seems a bit clunky to me compared to the 2012 in terms of handling ... the curved edges on the 2012 and the fit in your hands feels more natural ... perhaps the plastic feel wore on me after all these years.

Compared to performance, the 12.2 has a modded touch-wiz that is much different than the 10.1 and I missed the side-bar swype-in of applications, and multitasking is different on the 12.2 ... after modding with 4.4.2 and getting all the features of the new air-command and side-swype panel, and multitasking working amazingly well and snappy, I honestly think I don't need a new 2014 10.1, or a 12.2 ... I think I will just wait another 6-12 months and see what 2015 brings.

The point of all this --- I can now see why Sammy doesn't want to update the 2012 to 4.4+ ... you don't need 3GB of RAM, or 64GB of storage, you just need a clean interface ... using Google Home with the additions of the air-command and side-swype under Gnabo 4.4.2 well the 2012 10.1 Note is literally like a flagship 2014 product IMHO.

I can't recommend more highly the need to get to 4.4.2+ regardless of the launcher changes, I had Nova for a while, then it got laggy too even after ROM cleaning and uninstalling a lot of crap ... the largest difference is the gallery, the 10.1 under 4.1.2 was terribly slow ... the 2012 10.1 under 4.4.2 is almost instantaneous ... it's amazing how much of a difference it is really.

bluzman

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the perspective. With two of my three devices (Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Tab 3 8.0) already running KitKat, I'm inclined to root and install Gnabo or some other 4.4+ ROM.

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Such a shame that it's been so long without an update. I don't even use this tablet very much but it really does need an update.

Bimmerz

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't get why the carrier version of the Note 10.1 got bumped up to KitKat, but they won't update the WiFi version? Clearly the Samsung team that are in charge of the updates on tablets, are all on crack! What BS! *smh*

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I haven't been to this forum in ages! I still love my Note 10.1 and it's the only device to date that i've held onto for more than 12-14 months. I plan to use this thing for as long as the battery will allow. I even invested in a new charging cable a few weeks back as the original started fraying. I installed the Google Now Launcher to make this tablet behave almost like a Nexus device and it runs so smooth and is a joy to use. I really would consider getting the Note 10.1 if they did a 2015 version but it's not looking like they will unless I want the 12.2 Pro models they've been releasing. I wont pay for that and 12.2 is just a shade too large for me. I don't hate Samsung for not releasing an update to this, even though I was disappointed. I have the Note 4 now and truth be told, it's so similar to my 2013 Note 10.1 since they're both running the same launcher. Samsung has not improved their TW enough to make Kit Kat that evident.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't get why the carrier version of the Note 10.1 got bumped up to KitKat, but they won't update the WiFi version? Clearly the Samsung team that are in charge of the updates on tablets, are all on crack! What BS! *smh*
Probably contractual requirements with carriers. Verizon still sells this model as a lower cost option.

MS3GT

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
That's why I'm so hesitant on getting a Note Pro. I don't wanna go through this again.

I am Aquaman!

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
i didnt get NotePro either because of this... and i finally ended using odin to update my nordic (nee) N8000 by german fw (dbt) to get 4.4.2.

and that was the flagship(/t) that not only changed the world but also an attitude about samsung: not interested in samsung anymore...

Sent from OPO.

bh27

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Can I update my note 10.1 GT-N8010 by installing kies? Will that then update it to something later than 4.1.2 if I connect it to kies on my laptop via usb? At the moment it's running 4.1.2 and it says "latest updates installed" ! Thanks.