Galaxy S5: How do I turn off the camera's shutter 'click'?

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
No Skimmt, there is no sound off control on Sprint. Not even on 4.4.4. You have to either install the mentioned app or root. Sprint doesn't allow silencing off camera shutter. I'm not rooted but use the app. If I want the sound back on, I go back into the app and uncheck the option.

Sent from a Galaxy S5

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Just silence your phone when using the built-in camera app. Ta-da, no sounds! :D Or just download an alternative camera app, there are many.

Hank Himmanen

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Go to the camera settings and you have to scroll down. It doesn't look like you can but it does.
On the right there is a option for shutter sound...bingo!

Drunder40

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: How dod I turn off the S5's camera's shutter 'click'?

Verizon doesn't have that "shutter sound" option either....however..

if you have your call volume on silent or vibrate...than there is no shutter sound.

Actually I have a Verizon SM-G900V and I do have the option to turn off the shutter sound via camera settings. I am on 4.4.4.

You have to scroll down as it is toward the bottom of the settings menu.

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Sprint phones do not have that camera option. You can however just turn off your speaker.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

Its a law in most states that u cannot turn it off
Is that a joke?

I think kregstrong means sovereign nation-states, not constituent States of the USA or any other country that is divided into states.

No, it's no joke. In some cultures it may be taken as serious affront to take a picture of anybody, or their property, without their knowledge or permission. In the Western world the German-speaking countries are noted for this, which is why you will find almost no Google Street View coverage there and probably never will.

From the website of Austrian radio station OE24:

Lenker mit Kamera-Ausrüstung müssen mit hohen Strafen rechnen.

Die präventive Videoüberwachung aus dem Auto heraus durch Privatpersonen ist nicht zulässig. Darauf machte am Montag die ARGE Daten aufmerksam, nachdem die Datenschutzkommission einem entsprechenden Vorhaben eines Antragstellers eine Abfuhr erteilt hat. Nach dieser Entscheidung, so die ARGE, muss jeder Autofahrer mit einer Videoausstattung mit einer Anzeige und einer Verwaltungsstrafe in der Höhe von bis zu 10.000 Euro, im Wiederholungsfall bis zu 25.000 Euro rechnen.

Unerwünscht gefilmte Personen könnten noch dazu zivilrechtlichen Schadenersatz bis zu 20.000 Euro beanspruchen.

Translation:
Motorists with camera set-ups should expect heavy fines

The preventive video surveillance from an auto by private citizens is not permitted. ARGE Daten (Austrian non-profit advocacy group for data privacy) drew attention to this, after the Austrian Data Protection Authority denied the application of one motorist [ to be granted official license for such a camera]. Following this decision, motorists using such equipment may be fined 10000 Euros, or 25000 on repeated violations.

Aditionally, individuals filmed against their wishes can sue for up to 20,000 Euros in civil damages.

The second article I linked to, in the English translation, also explains that the person who applied for the permission was doing so in the interest of legal due diligence. It's unclear to me that anyone had ever officially suggested that a licensing system for this should have been set up.

The underlying legal principle is essentially that the right of non-involved third parties not to have themselves or their belongings photographed trumps the supposedly legitimate utility of camera footage in the investigation of accidents, because the pursuit and punishment of traffic violators remains the job of law enforcement, not private citizens.

So...you wanted to snap a few pictures on your phone without bystanders being aware? And without even the sensible precaution of wishing to protect yourself in case you're accused of causing an accident by tailgating the car in front of you? Ha! While Austria's laws don't apply elsewhere, some other countries do have shutter silencing bans, so phones that disable or omit the silencing feature are increasingly the norm.

However, I found that Chris' fix in post #10 worked fine. I was surprised because in the past I've always had to root my phone and make a small adjustment to a couple of system files. I just got the S5 last week, and I'm rooted now, but I couldn't find the files I usually rename or edit.

Last edited:

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

yes. It's not a law. if you're phone's on mute it won't make noise so clearly not a law.

It can still be a law even if it only requires the OEM or service provider to make silencing difficult, but not impossible. Remember that Microsoft case in the EU which centered on the fact that MS was shipping copies of Windows in which IExplorer was the default browser. AFAIK there was nothing in the software that prevented anyone from installing and using some other browser, but MS still lost the case.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

Verizon doesn't have that "shutter sound" option either....however..

if you have your call volume on silent or vibrate...than there is no shutter sound.

I have found that I sometimes have to open up the volume settings again, even if I already made the changes, in order that this solution will continue to work.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

Yes install the app.

For those wondering exactly how you do install apps outside of Play Store, it goes like this:

1. Get the .apk file onto your phone--I did it by emailing it to myself, but you should be able to copy it over a USB connection or download it directly onto your device, if you prefer.

2. Go into your device settings and tick the option that lets you install apps from unknown sources. On my device it's Settings=>Security=>Unknown Sources; your exact path might be different if you use the tabbed or tiled display options.

3. Navigate to the .apk file you downloaded, or if you emailed it just open the message and click on the attachment. This step installs the app.

4. Open the Enforced Stream Silencer app and tick the checkbox. Profit!

5. Remember to untick the "Unknown Sources" box from Step 2.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

Google "enforced stream silencer". It's should be the first result. Not sure if it works in the s5,but worked on my note 3 and other Samsung phones.

I installed this on my S5 last night, and so far it's worked like a charm, and that even though I'm already rooted and had already renamed the ogg files, which hadn't really worked.

jennij99

May 9, 2015
Visit site

It is there. You have to scroll down in your settings. It is the box above "Reset Settings". I have a Verizon S5 also.

Thanks for the screenshot... which carrier and country are you in? I don't have that option on my Verizon S5 in the US.

Thanks

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

The Sprint version of this phone does not have that option. I have an extra settings box that is blank. That was probably supposed to be the box.

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site

idk if i ever had it, but i now have lollipop and only then did i notice that others have it. So my question is, do you have lollipop or kitkat?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos