GMail notification Shade

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Now, I know this is not specifically an Android 12 thing, but I have a question about GMail notification Shade. Maybe it's something I missed, but this is a REALLY annoying thing, at least to me.

I use a few different email clients for different email accounts. When I get an email, I can pull the shade down and look at see if the email is worth opening up and reading or if I just want to delete it. If possible, I will delete it from the notification shade rather than opening up the email client.

HOWEVER, with GMail, I cannot do this. I have the option to Reply or Archive. Is this just a thing that Google does to now allow you to delete them from the notification shade? Is it a setting I missed somewhere? WHY do they make it so much harder to do the things people want to do? I was watching an Android 12 Beta video (and installed it on my Pixel 4) and I cannot set it to allow me to delete from the notification shade.

Anyway, not really a rant (even though it may sound like it), I am genuinely curious why EVERY OTHER email client I use (I have 5) supports this, but not GMail?

Thanks! :D

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
If I swipe down just a little on the notification panel the Delete button is there for me (for new GMail notifications).

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
If I swipe down just a little on the notification panel the Delete button is there for me (for new GMail notifications).

I just tested this and nothing. Only Archive and Reply (Note 20 Ultra with latest updates applied).

edit: tried on my Pixel 4 with Android 12, nothing.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Try going into Gmail Settings and change the default notification action from Archive to Delete. When I swipe down a little on a Gmail notification I have Delete and Reply, see screenshot. I think because I always change my default action from Archive to Delete on every new phone.
683fbbf978ba8891a2b05cdbfca8f54f.jpg

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Try going into Gmail Settings and change the default notification action from Archive to Delete. When I swipe down a little on a Gmail notification I have Delete and Reply, see screenshot. I think because I always change my default action from Archive to Delete on every new phone.
683fbbf978ba8891a2b05cdbfca8f54f.jpg

Ya know, I never changed that setting. This worked! Thanks a million! Has been a pain point for me for a long time!