GNEX Phone Woes in the Main Media........

SF DINC

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I think that most would consider main media to be sources that are more traditional. Time, Newsweek, etc.

So unless it is backed by a big name it is not news, even though the story is the same from the little "unknown name" When I say main media, I mean outlets other then specialized blogs, or sources......to each their own.....I guess getting your information from a big name makes it "REAL" news....lol....again the whole point of this thread was again to spread information, again do with it what you guys want....done arguing. lol.....elitist overtones that run rampant through these fourms AMAZES ME.....

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Okay everyone calm down. I have a Galaxy Nexus here in the Cleveland/Akron Ohio market. My brother-in-law has one in NC. He gets crappy battery life, but mine is decent. I've had a few reboots and crappy signal and today's 4G data outage (not just on GN phones). He hasn't had any of those issues.

Also, why is Version the only one who gets blamed in all of this. Sure, it's their network and there have been issues with LTE in general, but Google is handling the software and updates and Samsung manufactured the phone. (Did they put crapy radios in the GN???) When the phone was "delayed", it was Verizon's fault. When the phone has some bugs, it's still Verizon's fault.

I'm also using ICS on a Fascinate and have seen a couple of issues common between both phones. On those forums, people are reporting bugs to the dev that are present on the GN. There are clearly bugs in ICS, yet people rush to blame Verizon. I don't get it.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
What miserable battery life are you talking about. With an extended battery I use mine from 6am and when I put it back on the charger at 6pm it's still at about 25%. I keep a second extended battery in my pocket but have yet to use it.

The battery life on my GN is equivalent to my old Tbolt.

Any phone that requires you to get an extended battery in order to get mediocre time between charges has miserable battery life.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Why is everyone so obsessed with battery life? As long as it lasts long enough for me to get through the day I'm happy with that.

For me, I take it off the charger when I wake up in the morning. It gets bumped back up to 100% on my way to work with my car charger. At the end of my work day, I plop it back on the charger before I leave work to get it back to 100% to last me the remainder of the day.

I've done this with my last 4 phones. Daily charging is a fact of life with these new phones. I'm not concerned.

LangHoo

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Your condescending attitude and arrogance speak volumes??.

Why thank you! You just made my day! Plus my LTE signal after the outage is even stronger than before. And I can't drain my battery fast enough. Life is good. I may go post a comment in that world renowned yahoo tech blog to announce my joy to the world!

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Little write up on Yahoo this morning.......see if this puts a little pressure on VZW to hurry up and get this phone right......failed to mention the miserable battery life though....

Galaxy Nexus early adopters report issues with signal, touchscreen | Technology News Blog - Yahoo! News

EDIT: Guys I am just spreading information ............. do with it what you want.....the purpose of this thread is to let GNEX owners know that issues many of us are experiencing have started to be brought out in regular news sources??.some may have phones that are AMAZING??great for you, don?t come in bashing people who are experiencing issues with their phones?.just because they may have a problem with theirs and you do not does not mean they don?t know about being an early adopter, blah blah blah??there is obviously an issue with the phone, which has been acknowledged by Verizon, so lets all sit back relax, and hope the ?investigative work? Verizon is doing draws a conclusion and a OTA follows shortly??. Those people who have phones that are ?flawless? stop acting mightier than thou??END RANT?..

I 100% agree, the more press the better. The worst thing are some posters that call people with real issues 'whiners' as if they're not really having problems or if they do, they should simply shut up. What a joke.

The more honest publicity the reception issue gets, the more likely it will be taken care of quickly. Of course the caveat is if the issue is yet another craptastic Samsung radio that can't be fixed because it's hardware related. Let's hope not.

Reactions: scorpiodsu

CarryMe

Banned
Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
The more honest publicity the reception issue gets, the more likely it will be taken care of quickly. Of course the caveat is if the issue is yet another craptastic Samsung radio that can't be fixed because it's hardware related. Let's hope not.
It could be firmware, too, which may take awhile for Samsung to fix.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Any phone that requires you to get an extended battery in order to get mediocre time between charges has miserable battery life.
Please name 1 Verizon 4G LTE phone that does not have this problem. People need to chill about battery life. The battery technology is behind the processor speeds, screen resolutions, networks, etc...Get over it. If you have a charger at home, work, in car, you're good. If that is too inconvenient for you, then you'll never be satisfied.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Please name 1 Verizon 4G LTE phone that does not have this problem. People need to chill about battery life. The battery technology is behind the processor speeds, screen resolutions, networks, etc...Get over it. If you have a charger at home, work, in car, you're good. If that is too inconvenient for you, then you'll never be satisfied.

First, "people need to chill out" is avoidance, not acknowledgment that devices should work in an expected way. A phone that cannot be used throughout the day without having to sit on a charger or be supplemented with a replacement battery is effectively useless as a reliable tool. And that's what this is for many of us -- a tool. For business, managing our lives, etc.

Second, I don't have 4G on 90% of the time, and my phone still cannot get from 8am to 6pm without spending about 90 minutes (at least) on the charger at work (yeah, I have that, thanksverymuch). So I don't really care if this is a problem with all Verizon LTE phones. If it is, that suggests that Verizon LTE is not ready for prime time. (Am I a heavy user? Not really. My Incredible eventually was able to go from sun-up to sundown, and THAT phone had undeniable, wicked battery problems.)

Third, "chill out" and "get over it" make absolutely no sense when trusted sources such as this very website have documented that there is in fact a battery bug that keeps the phone awake. So -- why should anyone "chill out" and accept sh*tty performance from a device that is quite evidently broken?

Does that mean everyone should return it? No. Everyone who wants the phone (and wants it to work properly) should exercise patience. But patience is not sticking your head in the sand just because it "works for you" in its broken state.

Last edited:

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Funny..my Rezound shipped with no issues :) The worst people are complaining about are dead pixels and pink LED buttons..

That is funny, because the number one reason I didn't go for the Rezound is HTC -- meaning their battery track record (former Incredible owner). Turns out that thing is pretty rock solid. Might have to reconsider if this state of affairs persists (although so far I'm having luck after having disabled the Google+ app).

Mushkie11

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Good thread here. This forum is no diff than any apple forum. Ive had the DINC then went to the iphone now back to the Nexus. Listen anyone who says the battery life is good and they can get a fulls day usage from it is strait bullshtting. Or you simply don't use it all that much. When you purchase the phone you know this, there has never been a good battery life on ANY droid. Hell my iphone wasn't much better.
But to sit there and say the phone is great no flaws blah blah blah is another bullsht line. I love my Nexus, flaws and all and Im willing to admit it does need some tweaks. I know it will get better but I also know its good to get it out there for people that may want to purchase it and expect more.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I find it hilarious how many people are nitpicking this beautiful device. Tons of threads with my phone is better than the nexus....happens with the iPhone. I don't see Gnex owners comparing this phone to third party skins and locked loaders. Fact is, we are thrilled, and know the haters are really just unsure of the phone they use, so the boo on our good time. I know what I have and untill the next nexus, hate on.

Fact is, we understand android is now a new beast. ICS is huge update and differs from older android phones with hardware buttons. We KNOW there may be a bug or two, this isnt iOS, and doesnt update to the same boring UI. I applaud google, and when the haters feel they have killed our buzz, we will be enjoying pure googles vision of the future whilst the rest pick there retailer fav. Thanks for the link,. but there are no other phones to compare, so i am set. If bleeding edge advancements bother you because you need something that has been out and had the bugs killed, get an iphone or somthing with old versions of android. There are some manufactures stripping ICS and bloating it up with retail skins, go that route, the nexus is cutting edge google and the developers and i will continue to innovate on gnex and your more than welcome to jump in or not. We really dont care.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
John, I agree -- its a fantastic device. I want to keep it. It is mesmerizing, fast, slick -- the best I've used.

I just wish I could use it all day without having to train myself to charge it religiously.

But the bottom line is that we will get there. Now that the "bug" has been outed, its just a matter of time before it gets squashed. ;)

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Funny..my Rezound shipped with no issues :) The worst people are complaining about are dead pixels and pink LED buttons..

Can't argue with that. I had the Rezound for two weeks and it was the most problem-free 4G phone I've ever used. I only returned it because the GNex was coming out.

With that said, I much prefer the Nexus...just wish it had the Rezound's radio.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I feel bad for those that are having a lot of issues. I have been fortunate. Apart from the occasional delay with screen rotation, and the lag with the keyboard when typing fast in landscape (which is fixed by using SwiftKey, that is my default on my last 3 devices anyway).... I have been bug free.
The battery life could be better, but considering the screen size and resolution coupled with a new OS, it doesn't seem bad. Most of my battery woes are attributed to me not being able to put my device down... and streaming HD videos, and Google Music all day. I think if I used it in the way I used my OG Droid, the battery life would be comparable to my Droid X. It's hard to know however, because I can't stop playing with it :p

*customized tapatalk signature*

MazoMark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

You've got a 4.65" HD screen, LTE radio, and dual core CPU. On top of that, most users are using lots of services that are putting a constant drain on the battery. ANY currently available cell phone battery that gives you 12 hrs with that much power drain is doing a darn good job. Face it - battery technology has not kept up with the demands of our tech toys.

Reactions: oxymoron

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
First, "people need to chill out" is avoidance, not acknowledgment that devices should work in an expected way. A phone that cannot be used throughout the day without having to sit on a charger or be supplemented with a replacement battery is effectively useless as a reliable tool. And that's what this is for many of us -- a tool. For business, managing our lives, etc.

Second, I don't have 4G on 90% of the time, and my phone still cannot get from 8am to 6pm without spending about 90 minutes (at least) on the charger at work (yeah, I have that, thanksverymuch). So I don't really care if this is a problem with all Verizon LTE phones. If it is, that suggests that Verizon LTE is not ready for prime time. (Am I a heavy user? Not really. My Incredible eventually was able to go from sun-up to sundown, and THAT phone had undeniable, wicked battery problems.)

Third, "chill out" and "get over it" make absolutely no sense when trusted sources such as this very website have documented that there is in fact a battery bug that keeps the phone awake. So -- why should anyone "chill out" and accept sh*tty performance from a device that is quite evidently broken?

Does that mean everyone should return it? No. Everyone who wants the phone (and wants it to work properly) should exercise patience. But patience is not sticking your head in the sand just because it "works for you" in its broken state.
Nice try. You forgot to name the 1 Verizon 4G LTE phone that does not have battery life issues. It is obvious Verizon 4G LTE is not ready for prime time. Who else's is? Go through these forums and find ANY Android device that does not have a thread devoted to battery life issues. I have owned 8 android devices, all of which were not stellar in terms of battery life. The iPhone is no different. I'm not saying there aren't issues with the Nexus, but I have not owned any smart phone that never gave me any problems whatsoever.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Lol all this complaining makes my head hurt... Is the Galaxy Nexus perfect no... Does it have major problems? IMO no not really.. People that complain about battery life and Verizon's lte not being ready for prime time, you guys have to be kidding.. 30MBS is definitely ready enough for me, if you dont like it go gsm HSPA+.. Why are you on verizon with a lte phone complaining about battery life? It comes with the territory and if your on this forum im sure you knew that! SMH. Now the nexus does need some fixes.. Yes, Im not going to sit here and act like its perfect either.. My screen rotation takes too long, Pinch to zoom should be smoother. Signal shows low but my speeds are fast which is why I think the article about the signal may be right. But hey Im not sure thats why Verizon is looking into it. Now the complaining about the face unlock, it works fine for me.. I think the problem is some features are too confusing for average joes... Some people ive talked to dont even know there is a feature to improve face matching, or that it helps to look eye level. There is also that thing called if you have a problem with it change it.. You dont have to use face unlock lol... SMH its the first phone to ever have that feature so of course its not going to be perfect. People act as if they are not trying the first iteration of this software. There will be updates.. It took a long time before gingerbread was smooth as butter. Just be patient, if not you probably shouldnt have got a phone with brand new software. A developers phone..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali