Google search battery drain

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
That's my point. My WIFI was physically turned off in all those screen shots.

Did you check the advanced settings of WiFi? If so, was "Scanning always available" turned on? See my post above, #15. I think if you have that turned on, the WiFi radio will be kept available for location services, even if you have the WiFi radio switched off. And, not to sound like a broken record, but if you have *not* switched the radio off in settings / WiFi, then it will also be listed as on, even if you are not connected to an access point.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Did you check the advanced settings of WiFi? If so, was "Scanning always available" turned on? See my post above, #15. I think if you have that turned on, the WiFi radio will be kept available for location services, even if you have the WiFi radio switched off. And, not to sound like a broken record, but if you have *not* switched the radio off in settings / WiFi, then it will also be listed as on, even if you are not connected to an access point.

Just confirming, this means my wifi radio is off right?

Also, I've had location services turned off the entire time.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1391487298891.jpg
    1391487298891.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 19

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping for the AT&T Radio Bands AWS carriers are all but usless to me here in Canada... I'll wait till I see the spec sheet to see if it's worth replacing my beloved Nexus 1...

This is how I have my wifi settings configured.

This morning, when I first noticed the problem, I changed the "wifi always on during sleep", to never. Prior to that, it was on always.

Attachments

• 1391487515129.jpg
    1391487515129.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 20

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
As you can see from this screen shot, at a certain point, the wifi stopped running, which I think is normal when the wifi is turned off in the settings.

I want to clarify that when the graph says it was running toward the latter half of the day, my wifi was on and actually running, because that is when I got home, however at all points before that last period my wifi was literally turned off the entire time, except for about 1 minute when I was testing something out.

I don't understand why it was stuck running in the beginning of the day, but it seems to have stopped for now.

Hopefully somebody can shed some light. I'll send an update in the morning, but I'm starting to believe there was something weird going on this morning despite clearing the cache and rebooting.

Attachments

• 1391487806011.jpg
    1391487806011.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 18
Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I would say that something is odd with your wifi connection. Here are my screen shots from this morning, I turned off my wifi about 12 hours ago.

Attachments

• 1391517867592.jpg
    1391517867592.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 1391517886294.jpg
    1391517886294.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 15

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I would say that something is odd with your wifi connection. Here are my screen shots from this morning, I turned off my wifi about 12 hours ago.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I would agree that something was acting up inexplicably. It seems to have stopped, but for whatever reason, yesterday, as you can see from my many posted screen shots, the wifi radio was stuck on despite the toggle switch being turned off in the settings.

It's frustrating when things like this happen and clearing the cache or rebooting doesn't solve them because it leaves you searching for answers, and there's no way to no how to fix it if it ever reoccurs.

Hopefully somebody else can chime in and provide some pointers.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for getting back to me.

I would agree that something was acting up inexplicably. It seems to have stopped, but for whatever reason, yesterday, as you can see from my many posted screen shots, the wifi radio was stuck on despite the toggle switch being turned off in the settings.

It's frustrating when things like this happen and clearing the cache or rebooting doesn't solve them because it leaves you searching for answers, and there's no way to no how to fix it if it ever reoccurs.

Hopefully somebody else can chime in and provide some pointers.

I think that there is a bug in KitKat that is holding the radio on. It may be that setting that you had/have on - "Notify me" when WiFi is available. Also that "Always" setting that you turned off. Something is holding the radio on when it's turned off. Let's hope that 4.4.2 fixes that...

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Hmm this thread is confusing me a bit. One of the screenshots by OP showed yellow with some red for radio signal. Poor radio signal destroys the battery on any phone. I work at a supermarket and I'm constantly pulling lists from the basement and My OG Droid, DroidX, GNex, and Droid Maxx all 100-0 within 6 hours. Battery capacity didn't seem to have an affect when signal is poor. The WiFi question, I know that keeping it always on while sleeping will drain less than having it shut off. The reason being that Android is a very active OS, they did a great job lowering battery consumption too, I might add; having these periodic syncs go through WiFi usually uses less battery, unless in a very strong 4G area. Again, if you're 3 or less bars of 4G, it puts more of a strain on your battery.

Now I wouldn't be too concerned with WiFi showing up on battery stats because in the past, updates have had a history of reallocating battery usage to different categories. For example, notice how phone idle is very low. Well, before the update my phone idle battery % was much higher and the WiFi was much lower, and I believe that our previous version of Jellybean bundled the WiFi radio and the Idle together and showed it as one stat. 4.4 separated this to give a more accurate description of battery drain, that's why you're seeing it stand apart.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I think that there is a bug in KitKat that is holding the radio on. It may be that setting that you had/have on - "Notify me" when WiFi is available. Also that "Always" setting that you turned off. Something is holding the radio on when it's turned off. Let's hope that 4.4.2 fixes that...

I just tried turning back on the setting "keep wifi on during sleep" (set to always instead of never ) to see what happens, which is how I've had my settings since I purchased the phone.

I still feel like, when the WiFi radio is turned off in the settings, wifi should not show up as running in the battery stats, even if this "keep wifi on during sleep", is set to always.

I also think now, that the issue I had with Google Search, which originally prompted me to start this thread, is an extension of this kit-kat bug that is holding on the radio for some reason, and maybe also keeping certain apps running after they should have already shut off.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe