[Guide] How-to root Evo 4G gingerbread! via Revolutionary

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks for all the tips in this thread. Also, after looking over all the various postings on the net to root my HTC EVO 4G I found the following tutorial worked really well for me at Root for HTC Evo 4G Gingerbread is HERE! | HTC Evo 4G Hacks! but I had to do 2 things differently to get it to work which where:

In instructions step #5 he says you can cancel the download and use the Revolutionary.exe program from his zip file but actually I had to use the Revolutionary.exe from the download on the Revolution.io site otherwise you get and invalid beta key.

Also, one other thing. in Step#9 I couldn?t get the my HTC EVO 4G to see the seletion USB MS toggle as it just wasn?t there in the menu choices so I just manually copied the ?su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip? to the phone?s SD card and then continued after that just fine

I hope this info helps somone :)

Reactions: Kamin

kec241

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if im missing something but when I go into recovery I don't see nandriod backup. Is there something else I need to upload?

Thanks
Kevin

edoeding#CB

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if im missing something but when I go into recovery I don't see nandriod backup. Is there something else I need to upload?

Thanks
Kevin
best advice I can give (noob here) is to watch a youtube video on rooting with revolutionary. made it stupid simple. K.I.S.S!

kec241

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi eric i was able to get root. Watched the video and you are correct was super simple. Just can't find how to create nandriod backup. Is there a video on that after using revolutionary?

Thanks
Kevin

best advice I can give (noob here) is to watch a youtube video on rooting with revolutionary. made it stupid simple. K.I.S.S!

edoeding#CB

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi eric i was able to get root. Watched the video and you are correct was super simple. Just can't find how to create nandriod backup. Is there a video on that after using revolutionary?

Thanks
Kevin

Use the ROM manager (get the paid version IMO) and do a backup. I've learned a few things with backups.

- Name them with the ROM and date (i.e. CM7 8/19/11). Or if you have a kernel with it (CM7-Tia-8/19/11)
- Back up regularly as you reestablish yourself into android again (i.e get all your stuff setup, signed it, etc..)
- When you backup with a custom ROM & kernel, it captures both. No need to reinstall the kernel.

smccue

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Had a Pre and modified that, but finally i am trying to root my Evo and i cant seem to get it to work. I keep getting an error message that says AdbWinApi.dll is missing from my computer... What am i doing wrong? Thanks

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Had a Pre and modified that, but finally i am trying to root my Evo and i cant seem to get it to work. I keep getting an error message that says AdbWinApi.dll is missing from my computer... What am i doing wrong? Thanks

did you unzip the folder? i had thye same issue till i realized i hadn't unzipped it yet. :p

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
You have to extract the files, and then run them. Typo in the instructions. Unzip, dbl click the app, choose extract. Then dbl click the app and choose run.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

BassMaster5000

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Quick question for yall.. rooted it no problem, but when it came to flashing a mod, I keep getting an error where it aborts the installation and says... "Amend scripting is no longer supported. Amend scripting was deprecated by Google in Adroid 1.5. It was necessary to remove it when upgrading to the ClockworkMod 3.0 gingerbread based recovery. Please switch to Edify scripting (updater-script and update-binary) to create working update zip packages.

Don't know what I have to do to fix this, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot guys, just trying to get a good rom on my evo.

P_M_G

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
WOOT WOOT I got ROOT!

Finally...took me forever to figure out - I would run revolutionary and it would just pop up a command prompt and then immediately close. Finally remembered seeing that some have needed to uninstall HTC Sync. Uninstalled it an ran Revolutionary again and VOILA.

No more Nova, no more NASCAR and sprint tv crap...bought Ti Pro key to freeze all my bloat and I'm a happy Evo'er again.

Thanks to all the devs and to igotsanevo4g for making this possible!

Poker3

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Hello AndroidCentral world!
New user to the forum, but not new user to rooting. I've been flashing roms and doing everything imaginable on my Droid X...so not a newb to the root/flash world.
Why I'm here, is I just aided my buddy in turning s-off and gaining root access on his evo4g. All succeeded, very easy, went perfectly fine (thanks to this forum with nice detail instructions). Tested with a few root required apps from market, all is well. For now he is going to start with TiBu and do some freezing...but I'm trying to convince we should just start flashing roms away :D...hopefully we'll get to that soon.

What I'm wondering is, what is the most stable rom out there for the evo4g? He does not want to lose any capabilities from his phone...HD Camera/HD Video/HDMI, etc. Unless those are just dumb issues I have to deal with on the DX because of the locked bootloader. CM7 based roms work great, super fast, super customizalbe, great all around, but you lose what I just mentioned. In order to keep those, you must keep some "blur" on the phone, which does not make it fully "open/aosp"... Does the same go with "sense" stuff? I'm doing my research, but I have no where near the knowledge on the evo4g as I do for the DroidX.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks coming from the DX world! :)

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello AndroidCentral world!
New user to the forum, but not new user to rooting. I've been flashing roms and doing everything imaginable on my Droid X...so not a newb to the root/flash world.
Why I'm here, is I just aided my buddy in turning s-off and gaining root access on his evo4g. All succeeded, very easy, went perfectly fine (thanks to this forum with nice detail instructions). Tested with a few root required apps from market, all is well. For now he is going to start with TiBu and do some freezing...but I'm trying to convince we should just start flashing roms away :D...hopefully we'll get to that soon.

What I'm wondering is, what is the most stable rom out there for the evo4g? He does not want to lose any capabilities from his phone...HD Camera/HD Video/HDMI, etc. Unless those are just dumb issues I have to deal with on the DX because of the locked bootloader. CM7 based roms work great, super fast, super customizalbe, great all around, but you lose what I just mentioned. In order to keep those, you must keep some "blur" on the phone, which does not make it fully "open/aosp"... Does the same go with "sense" stuff? I'm doing my research, but I have no where near the knowledge on the evo4g as I do for the DroidX.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks coming from the DX world! :)

The same goes for your buddy. To keep the 720p video you will need to stay on Sense. Teamwin and orrebmas (although he is having issues with Google) have an app to allow full mirroring with HDMI on AOSP Roms.

So it looks like he should stay on Sense as that will keep him happy with his wants.

Poker3

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
The same goes for your buddy. To keep the 720p video you will need to stay on Sense. Teamwin and orrebmas (although he is having issues with Google) have an app to allow full mirroring with HDMI on AOSP Roms.

So it looks like he should stay on Sense as that will keep him happy with his wants.

Thanks for the quick response! That's what I kinda figured, but wasn't sure.
I've searched for safe freeze lists, and most of my results are from froyo.
Any good GB apk lists safe to freeze?
Most are pretty common, I'm just curious to some of the system apps.

SmokeCrawler

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response! That's what I kinda figured, but wasn't sure.
I've searched for safe freeze lists, and most of my results are from froyo.
Any good GB apk lists safe to freeze?
Most are pretty common, I'm just curious to some of the system apps.

I'm not sure for a GB lists but Sprint apps, Nova, and some of those are fine. I wouldn't freeze any thing from HTC as it might cause an issue with others. Best beat (I'm assuming) is to look at a xda thread with a Sense rom and see what they removed. I haven't used a Sense rom in a long time but I did try Evolved r3chared with Sense 3.0. It was really nice. Not sure what was working.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos