Had my N4 for a few hours and put a dent on the metal frame.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Most phones are fragile so I wouldn't say it's hype. The hype is about it being nice.. Which it is... But it being damaged due to drops and stuff?.. I don't know any top phone out today that can just take that.

Exactly. I mean, maybe the S5 active lol but other than that one drop could equal a spider web on your screen. I change phone often so when i resell them I want top dollar. So it's always a case for me.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Hitting aluminum on steel (car door) do not mix. I feel for the OP though as it was an accident but this is why I have always been an advocate for cases. Anything can happen at any given time ------- Murphy's Law.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
With the Note 4 frame being Magnesium Aluminum alloy I find it a stretch to say it dented with a "gentle" contact with the car door frame. I believe we need to now have a series of YouTube videos showing the "gentle tapping" failure of a Samsung product. A whole new topic of manufacturer bashing. God I love this site :D

Oh no not #Dentgate :'(

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Most phones are fragile so I wouldn't say it's hype. The hype is about it being nice.. Which it is... But it being damaged due to drops and stuff?.. I don't know any top phone out today that can just take that.

Xcover 2, s5 active xperia z3 compact etc.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I preorder cases, otherwise, the phone doesn't leave the house or the leather pouch it's in at home. I clutch it with a death grip. ??????

via The Note 4

I preordered, too, but it ain't here. When the S4 came out, I deliberately waited several extra months so I could get this all straightened out at the same time. There is a penalty to being an early adopter, alas. I'm being EXTRA careful at the moment.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking to myself everyone is talking up the metal band, so much better then the cheap plastic. What does it matter plastic, metal if your going to put a case on it anyway? Naked all the way for me

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Worthless? I disagree. I sold my Note 3 to a coworker.. With an extra battery, case, and charger for 300 bucks. So keeping my phones in good condition isn't worthless to me.. Since that 300 just went to my Note 4.

True Dat!! :cool:

Same here, I kept my Note 3 spotless, and I enjoyed it super big time when it was in its cases. I did a quick sale on Craigslist for $350 with two spare batteries, original box, and two cases. It rival a new one.

Right now, my Note 4 is covers with a Spigen Tough Armor, Temp Glass, and a wallet type case, and I am loving it.
Also, on keeping things and how you used them, my racebike, takes me around corners at 100mph+, inches from other racers, and yes, I don't want a spec to get on my racebike, and I have frame protectors on the bike, bar end protectors, and my skinny frail body has high end custom made suits..

So, the protection thing is a BIGGEE. Also, what others chose to do, will be correct for them too. :D

dj2big

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Worthless? I disagree. I sold my Note 3 to a coworker.. With an extra battery, case, and charger for 300 bucks. So keeping my phones in good condition isn't worthless to me.. Since that 300 just went to my Note 4.
Just traded in a beat up BB Tour and got $200 for it

Just traded in a iPhone 5S no case scratches etc and water damage $375

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
True Dat!! :cool:

Same here, I kept my Note 3 spotless, and I enjoyed it super big time when it was in its cases. I did a quick sale on Craigslist for $350 with two spare batteries, original box, and two cases. It rival a new one.

Right now, my Note 4 is covers with a Spigen Tough Armor, Temp Glass, and a wallet type case, and I am loving it.
Also, on keeping things and how you used them, my racebike, takes me around corners at 100mph+, inches from other racers, and yes, I don't want a spec to get on my racebike, and I have frame protectors on the bike, bar end protectors, and my skinny frail body has high end custom made suits..

So, the protection thing is a BIGGEE. Also, what others chose to do, will be correct for them too. :D

I was desperate sold my s5 for $250 extra charger kit and 5 spigen cases smh I got raped

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just traded in a beat up BB Tour and got $200 for it

Just traded in a iPhone 5S no case scratches etc and water damage $375

Glad it worked out for you.. Without a promo though you wouldn't be able to do that. Again you can think your devices are worthless.. But no reason to get on others for disagreeing :).

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to the OP for sharing what happened. I've been on the fence about getting a case or not. I prefer not to get a case for this phone, not because I believe in any hype regarding the metal frame. I simply prefer to go without a case on most of the phones I've had.

So, rather than flame the OP for not putting a case on or making comparisons to iPhones, I'll simply say thanks to the OP for sharing a real life, common experience that will add to the other factors I think about when I decide whether or not to put a case on the phone.

Last edited:

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I got my spigen case today (Thanks to Amazon Sunday delivery!) and it covers the dent.

Sorry for not making this clear, I love the phone and feel of the metal band. I just don't think it's designed to take a beating of every day use. I dropped my Note 3, bumped it into things, etc.. and the plastic held up great. I just don't see the same durability with the metal band on the side. If you look at the edges of the phone the flat side is probably pretty durable, but the 45 degree edge is where I think is pretty fragile.

Anyways, i'm over it already, and this is the only thread I started on any forum. It's really just to vent some frustration from denting a brand new phone!

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Anyways, i'm over it already, and this is the only thread I started on any forum. It's really just to vent some frustration from denting a brand new phone!

Your frustration is well understandable. It's the type of story that makes us all wince!

I had a friend who got his first new car some years back. The 2d day, I was riding with him in the passenger seat and someone rear-ended him. I just expected him to go ballistic. I was surprised at how calm he was. He was certainly sad on the ride home, though. :)

Tabbiel1989

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I feel you. My very first smartphone was an HTC Evo. First week I had it without a case and dropped it on concrete. Ever since then I always get a case in advance.

Posted via the Android Central App

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm not going to criticize Samsung for using metal on their phones. For years they have been penalized in oublic opinion for using plastic over more premium materials and now they finally make the Note 4 from premium materials using metal over plastic and now they are being criticized for that too. Samsung can't win.

Written by the mighty S-pen of my Samsung Galaxy Note 4!

himotani

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Until you have had the pleasure of driving a car and not care what happens to it in any weather only then you are free...

It's replaceable like anything else materialistic and no matter how much you take care of it it will be worthless at some point so you might as well enjoy it

It's a phone
If your whole life revolves protecting material things that's crazy
People buy nice clothes never wear them lol that's silly
People buy cars and never drive them
People save money and never treat themselves

Why not live in a bubble
OK protect your phone I don't care but don't be upset over worthless things getting scratched bent makes no sense

If people only put this much thought into relationships and family they would protect what really matters in life their heart and soul by just putting the phone down

LukeJM93

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
It's a bit of a catch 22 isn't it.
You use a case and that metal might as well be plastic because you're covering it up anyway.
You don't use a case and even if you baby it there are some things you cannot account for that may damage the phone.

I've had my HTC One for a year and a half which a have a case on.
But I have never dropped it or anything, this whole time I could have been going caseless.
Although Murphey's law says if I hadn't been using a case I probably would have dropped it lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332