Have you used the "OK Google" command much on your Nexus 5

ring o fire

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I have used it. I think it would be much more useful if I could use it to wake it up out of sleep. It's like if I have to unlock the phone and then go back to what I am doing what is the point?

knowimagination

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I am really hoping that google is at least looking at the option to give the nexus 5 the same touch less features. I would certainly use it if that were the case.

dazzer87

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering has anyone been able to play artist by voice command? With a song I am able to have Google music launch and play the track. With the artist all Google music player does is load the artist but I have to manually select play.

Posted via Android Central App

esone1ll

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I am always around other people, and it's always more discreet to use my thumb. I guess I don't want other folks to hear what I'm doing?

LEMONGRAB

Banned
Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
To be completely honest, I don't like the feature.
I would rather have to press the microphone icon to enable voice control than for my phone to be "always listening," for the "OK Google" command.

A gimmick feature that should in essence, reduce battery life, albeit very slim.

Try saying "beam me up scottie" its epic.

This thread is in unacceptable condition; UNACCEPTABLE....
SSgS|||_2_DroidCentral

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Turned it off. Saves battery, so I hear. I never really use it anyway. Heck, I even did away with the Gesture-Up-From-Home to access Google Now. That gesture now shuts off and sleeps my device instead:

The same gesture that you do to get to Google Now can be changed to turning the device/screen off.

Just install this free app called "Screen Off And Lock": https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.katecca.screenofflock&hl=en&token=K7zqMjMF

Then swipe up from Home (like you would to get to Google Now) and it'll ask you to set a new default:

View attachment 92046

Grant it permissions, and now, every time you swipe up from Home, you can lock your screen/device from anywhere! Great for those who don't want to overuse the power button, and for those who obviously don't use Google Now like that.

To get rid of it, just go to "Screen Off and Lock" app in your App settings and Clear Defaults (or just uninstall the app).

Just thought I'd share.

Ikeman90

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Any battery savings are in your head. On the N5 the OK Google command only works when unlocked and on the home screen. How often is your phone unlocked and on the home screen?

Posted via Android Central App via the shiny new Nexus 5 and a half

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
It works great, but I disabled it to save battery life.

I don't get this since the hot word is only active when you are on your home screen after you got past the lock screen. If you are in a App it is disabled. If the N5 is in the sleep mode it is off. The Home screen burns a lot more power by a lot over this hot word stuff. The CPU is already running even when the Hot Word is disabled so it doesn't use a lot of extra power turning on the audio to use the Hot Word. The only extra power is used with the Hot Word is turning on the Microphone and it is so minor that you couldn't measure how much power it uses when you are only on your Home page about 15 minutes a day.

Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I used it yesterday for the 1st time while i was doing my rounds between jobs, i ended up using it all day long, what an excellent feature, i was sending texts, getting navigation, and doing searches, i thought "OK Google" was going to be a bit of a gimmick but for me its totally changed the way i use my phone daily, anyone who drives a lot should get plenty of use from this feature, i wish i had tried the Moto X for the touch less features on that, they must be amazing to use.

I did have issues with texting from Ok Google but just tried it again with 8SMS and it worked well. Thanks I had giving up on trying to text that way.

ibbyj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I use it all the time, I drive for a company called "Lyft" on the weekends, and this feature is great to have. I can just tell my phone where to navigate me.

Plus, it's a good conversation starter for my passengers and I.

If anyone has Lyft in their city, and has yet to use it... Here is a ten dollar free credit! Use code "JGS24G".

Love my Nexus 5!

krouri

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Did it say I cannot do it captian, I don't have the power?, but with a cheesy Scottish/robot accent?

This thread is in unacceptable condition; UNACCEPTABLE....
SSgS|||_2_DroidCentral

Yup, Lol. Have you asked Google who am i? Or what is the answer to life the universe and everything?