Headphone Jack Placement

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else bothered with the headphone jack being on top? That's really one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to phones. My G4, the S7, the OP3, all these great phones have the headphone jack on the bottom. It just makes the most sense and I can't understand why other OEM's continue to place the headphone jack up top.

/rant

GeekMcLeod

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I've had the N6 for the past 2 years and my headphone jack is dead center on the top. I actually don't mind it at all. Like above poster said, I thought it was weird at first but I think it's a good place.

drathos

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I've had phones with it both ways, but I much prefer the jack being on the bottom. When I put my phone in my pocket, it goes in upside down, unless I consciously make an extra turn to flip it.

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully, if we do move to USB-C for audio, we have one port on top and one on the bottom. Now both sides can be used for your headphones, and we never have to have this argument.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't bother me. I use Bluetooth. Very rarely do I actually plug in a headphone.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I prefer it on bottom for a number of reasons, but my biggest peeve about having it on top is that it's an eye sore. When you're not using it, it's just a gaping hole that stares at you. I used the HTC 10 for a week and the headphone jack drove me crazy.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I prefer the Jack on the bottom for two reason, first is when I plug in a headset while using the screen, The cord isn't touch the front or I don't have to hold the cord to the back of the phone. The second is water ingress while it's lightly raining. One less open hole for water to go into when in use, but it should be fine with the ip53 rating

nickb64

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I would prefer the headphone jack on the bottom, but it's not a dealbreaker. I barely use the headphone jack on my phone any more because I got so tired on the cord getting caught on door handles and other things that I got a pair of bluetooth earbuds that I use most of the time now.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've had phones with it both ways, but I much prefer the jack being on the bottom. When I put my phone in my pocket, it goes in upside down, unless I consciously make an extra turn to flip it.

I feel exactly the same and for the same reason.

Truth be told, I cannot even remember the last time I used wired headphones, but if I ever went back to them, I would want the jack to be on the bottom.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I feel like the people who argue so strongly for a top jack have never used one on the bottom and just don't like change.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I also prefer headphone jack on the bottom. Taking phone in and out of pant/short pockets with headphones plugged on top is a minor annoyance.

redectro

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Actually, it's kind of convenient for me that the jack is on top, because I'm used to it. It doesn't really matter to be honest, that doesn't make the phone worse, in my opinion.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think it depends on where you carry your phone.

Mine is always in my left front pocket. If you go through the motions, you will see that the most natural way to do so is to drop it into the pocket top end down and, thus when you reach in to take it out it is upright and ready for action.

With top end down, bottom end up, the best place for a headphone jack is on the bottom.

projektorboy

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
If I'm in my car and I plug my phone into my AUX port (don't have BT) while charging it, it creates awkward placement for my phone because it'll be on a rotisserie of cabling.

Free_Sparrow

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
I have a Moto X 2014, headphone jack also on the top.
1. No problem
2. Can't collide with charger cable
3. Good, when you have it in a charger station, it is still accessible.