How long to wait for Unlocked US version of the Note 7?

buddhake

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Now that I have the AT&T Note 7 in my hand, I am even more ready for the Unlocked version of the Note 7. I have the S7 Edge Unlocked and am ready to return the AT&T Note and wait it out for the Unlocked version, or go to the UK and get the Exynos version.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Now that I have the AT&T Note 7 in my hand, I am even more ready for the Unlocked version of the Note 7. I have the S7 Edge Unlocked and am ready to return the AT&T Note and wait it out for the Unlocked version, or go to the UK and get the Exynos version.

Why other than to get the Exynos version?

buddhake

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Not even for the Exynos, but it is the fastest way to get away from a carrier-messed-up phone. Lack of CarrierIQ, lack of bloatware (even though I can disable it all), lack of changes to software update servers. I am running this phone on more than just AT&T, so being able to not update it unless i have an AT&T SIM in it is crippling. Unless the unlocked version shows up in the US soon, I'll get the international one on my next trip overseas.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Not even for the Exynos, but it is the fastest way to get away from a carrier-messed-up phone. Lack of CarrierIQ, lack of bloatware (even though I can disable it all), lack of changes to software update servers. I am running this phone on more than just AT&T, so being able to not update it unless i have an AT&T SIM in it is crippling. Unless the unlocked version shows up in the US soon, I'll get the international one on my next trip overseas.

I was under the impression that the bloatware would downloads once you put a carrier SIM in the unlocked version. Further, based on the above poster's comments (and elsewhere) I thought Samsung was slower to update their unlocked devices compared to the carriers locked versions. Are these two statements incorrect based on your experience?

buddhake

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I was under the impression that the bloatware would downloads once you put a carrier SIM in the unlocked version. Further, based on the above poster's comments (and elsewhere) I thought Samsung was slower to update their unlocked devices compared to the carriers locked versions. Are these two statements incorrect based on your experience?
I booted with no SIM and it had the AT&T bloatware in it already. In Canada the method you describe is the way it works where the SIM dictates the bloatware.

Unlocked S7 in US still does have only May updates yes. Not sure why but yeah that's the way it is... :/

yankswinagain

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
There doesn't appear to be any big reason to get an unlocked (other than resale is easier) vs a carrier though does it? My understanding is once you put your SIM in the bloat is downloaded?

FWIW, I have an unlocked Nexus 6 (from Google) and a Verizon SIM - and it never downloaded anything from Verizon. I get updates directly from Google. I know I will have to go through Samsung for updates if I get the Note 7, but I don't think it force downloads software.

buddhake

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site

philliplavelle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm just weighing in here on this (hi, by the way!!!)..

I'm in the UK and have just bought an unlocked version, due for delivery next week.

I'll set it up using Vodafone here, but I'm actually moving to the US in a few weeks and will be using my Note 7 on whatever US mobile carrier I end up going with (probably AT&T - maybe Cricket - or T-Mobile.)

Are you confident it would be compatible with these networks? I'm also curious about Samsung Pay - it's never actually been turned on here in the UK and I don't think it even appears on the apps list as Samsung may have to enable it in a FW update. I use Apple Pay all the time, and I suppose Android Pay will lessen that sting (it's used widespread in the US, right?) but would be good to know if SP will work on my UK model in the US.

Has anyone experience of using a UK model with a US carrier? May be too early with the Note 7, but maybe an older device like the S7 or another?

Also, how would you deal with warranty? I know Samsung aren't up there with Apple in terms of ease of repairs with an international warranty, but lets say I smashed the screen.. can you get it repaired by Sammy in the US (albeit for a fee) or would it have to be sent all the way back to the UK? Are you able to insure a foreign international model or do the insurance companies refuse to help?

Any help would be great as I may need to cancel my order and just buy a US model next month - but having never had a carrier device, the thought of all of this bloatware scares me!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
And the item ain't available.
And you don't get any gifts with it like a SD card.
True on both counts. If you don't care about warranty then there are places with it in stock. International unlocked doesn't qualify for gifts in the usa,only carrier models

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes just got august security updates yesterday on my s7 Edge Unlocked

Well that is encouraging! Maybe Samsung has amended their ways and will support N7 as fast as the carriers contrary to the experience of previous posters. I was on the fence regarding getting the unlocked version but decided take a chance and order it. Supposedly is being shipped out this week.