[How-To] Root LG Optimus T

AwaseMike

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I am disappointed no one has answered the issue about the "error:device not found" question other than saying to use z4root. Is this because it's an error that can't be solved and no one wants to admit there's no solution? If z4root is the solution to rooting the Optimus T then I think this post needs to be killed so more people aren't wasting their time.

callmerayn

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
WARNING - This is a cat and mouse game we play with manufacturers. I guarantee you an update will come from LG that patches this exploit and will prevent people from rooting. It will also close your root access if you've already rooted using this method. Long story short, NEVER ACCEPT OTA UPDATES FROM THE CARRIER OR MANUFACTURER.

Notice: There is now an application available called z4root which roots your phone using the same method detailed below. This has been confirmed to work on the Optimus line. Click THIS for more information. I feel the knowledge gained by doing this process yourself rather than a 1-click method will prove to be invaluable down the road if/when you encounter any issues but either way works.

For those who learn visually, iamlilysdad has put together an awesome walkthrough video of this process which you can find HERE

What You'll Need:
- Sun JRE, FOUND HERE
- The Android SDK, FOUND HERE. Install this on the root of your computer so the path is C:/android
- Drivers for the LG phone installed on your computer. Instructions can be FOUND HERE courtesy of our favorite android hacker, modder, developer, blogger (jack of all trades) gbhil
- And the file I have attached to this post. Download it, unzip it, and put the 3 files inside in your android-sdk-windows\tools folder created from installing the SDK.

/\You need to have installed/done all of the stuff in the "what you'll need" section. From this point on I'll assume you've done that./\

Ready?:
Step 1: Plug your phone into your PC with the USB cable.

Step 2: Make sure the phone is charge only (don't mount as USB drive) and USB debugging is enabled. Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > check mark USB debugging

Step 3: Launch the SDK manager, should be something like C:/Android-sdk-windows SDK Manager

Step 4: Open a CMD window and type the following:
cd c:\wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is (mine for example is C:\android\tools however in the new SDK the correct directory would be "Platform Tools", and not just "tools". See what you have on your directory)
adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage
adb push su /data/local/tmp/
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/
adb shell
chmod 4755 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage
chmod 4755 /data/local/tmp/busybox
cd /data/local/tmp
./rageagainstthecage (let things sit a couple minutes (2), your phone will disconnect from the computer and you'll be removed from your ADB session)
adb shell This should return a "#" symbol instead of a "$" symbol. If it does you're good. If not go back and start from the beginning of step 4
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
cd /data/local/tmp
./busybox cp su /system/bin
./busybox cp busybox /system/bin
cd /system/bin
chmod 4755 su
chmod 4755 busybox
busybox --install /system/bin
exit
exit

If you get to this step "busybox --install /system/bin" you get an error, do this:

4-A) Download superuser (free) from chainsDD in the market (this is step 5 below)
4-B) Download titanium backup (free) in the market
4-C) Launch titanium. You should get a request to give it root permissions select always allow. Now in titanium, hit the "problems" button and let it install busybox
4-D) Reboot phone and enjoy

Some phones are having a problem on that step while others are not.

Step 5: Go to the android market on your phone and download "Superuser"(free). The developer will be listed as ChainsDD.

Donations:
What I ask is, if this helps you root, please watch this thread and help someone who may be experiencing issue. Yes, I am asking you to donate your time. The same donation I made while writing this so you could root your phone :D

gbhil - as always thanks, you rock rainman lol.
Sebastian Krahmer - Without your exploit many phones would not be rooted today.
iamlilysdad - for making the walkthrough video and sticking around and providing so much support for new users during this process.
woah

thefsfempire

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
WARNING - This is a cat and mouse game we play with manufacturers. I guarantee you an update will come from LG that patches this exploit and will prevent people from rooting. It will also close your root access if you've already rooted using this method. Long story short, NEVER ACCEPT OTA UPDATES FROM THE CARRIER OR MANUFACTURER.

Notice: There is now an application available called z4root which roots your phone using the same method detailed below. This has been confirmed to work on the Optimus line. Click THIS for more information. I feel the knowledge gained by doing this process yourself rather than a 1-click method will prove to be invaluable down the road if/when you encounter any issues but either way works.

For those who learn visually, iamlilysdad has put together an awesome walkthrough video of this process which you can find HERE

What You'll Need:
- Sun JRE, FOUND HERE
- The Android SDK, FOUND HERE. Install this on the root of your computer so the path is C:/android
- Drivers for the LG phone installed on your computer. Instructions can be FOUND HERE courtesy of our favorite android hacker, modder, developer, blogger (jack of all trades) gbhil
- And the file I have attached to this post. Download it, unzip it, and put the 3 files inside in your android-sdk-windows\tools folder created from installing the SDK.

/\You need to have installed/done all of the stuff in the "what you'll need" section. From this point on I'll assume you've done that./\

Ready?:
Step 1: Plug your phone into your PC with the USB cable.

Step 2: Make sure the phone is charge only (don't mount as USB drive) and USB debugging is enabled. Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > check mark USB debugging

Step 3: Launch the SDK manager, should be something like C:/Android-sdk-windows SDK Manager

Step 4: Open a CMD window and type the following:
cd c:\wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is (mine for example is C:\android\tools however in the new SDK the correct directory would be "Platform Tools", and not just "tools". See what you have on your directory)
adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage
adb push su /data/local/tmp/
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/
adb shell
cd /data/local/tmp
./rageagainstthecage (let things sit a couple minutes (2), your phone will disconnect from the computer and you'll be removed from your ADB session)
adb shell This should return a "#" symbol instead of a "$" symbol. If it does you're good. If not go back and start from the beginning of step 4
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
cd /data/local/tmp
./busybox cp su /system/bin
./busybox cp busybox /system/bin
cd /system/bin
chmod 4755 su
chmod 4755 busybox
busybox --install /system/bin
exit
exit

If you get to this step "busybox --install /system/bin" you get an error, do this:

4-A) Download superuser (free) from chainsDD in the market (this is step 5 below)
4-B) Download titanium backup (free) in the market
4-C) Launch titanium. You should get a request to give it root permissions select always allow. Now in titanium, hit the "problems" button and let it install busybox
4-D) Reboot phone and enjoy

Some phones are having a problem on that step while others are not.

Step 5: Go to the android market on your phone and download "Superuser"(free). The developer will be listed as ChainsDD.

Donations:
What I ask is, if this helps you root, please watch this thread and help someone who may be experiencing issue. Yes, I am asking you to donate your time. The same donation I made while writing this so you could root your phone :D

gbhil - as always thanks, you rock rainman lol.
Sebastian Krahmer - Without your exploit many phones would not be rooted today.
iamlilysdad - for making the walkthrough video and sticking around and providing so much support for new users during this process.
thanks

Douglife

May 7, 2011
www.douglife.com
Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Personally, I'm having a bit of a problem getting the "#" to show up.

I've completed the required steps multiple times to no avail.

After I get the "$" and it disconnects, then re-connects, I attempt the cmd "adb shell", and I get "error: device not found"

Thanks ahead of time!

Last edited:

ksalathiel

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
i have a optimus t with 2.2.1 v10 so i cant use the z4root so im trying to do it all threw the sdk and cmd, well ive done this darn neer a dozen times and it keeps telling me the same things

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Kelly>cd c:\android\tools

C:\Android\tools>adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagains
tthecage
112 KB/s (5392 bytes in 0.046s)

C:\Android\tools>adb push su /data/local/tmp/
820 KB/s (26264 bytes in 0.031s)

C:\Android\tools>adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/
1180 KB/s (1926944 bytes in 1.593s)

C:\Android\tools>adb shell
$ chmod 4755 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage
$ chmod 4755 /data/local/tmp/busybox
$ cd /data/local/tmp
cd /data/local/tmp
$ ./rageagainstthecage
./rageagainstthecage
[*] CVE-2010-EASY Android local root exploit (C) 2010 by 743C

[*] checking NPROC limit ...
[+] RLIMIT_NPROC={3341, 3341}
[*] Searching for adb ...
[+] Found adb as PID 1301
[*] Spawning children. Dont type anything and wait for reset!
[*]
[*] If you like what we are doing you can send us PayPal money to
[*] 7-4-3-C@web.de so we can compensate time, effort and HW costs.
[*] If you are a company and feel like you profit from our work,
[*] we also accept donations > 1000 USD!
[*]
[*] adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login.
$
C:\Android\tools>adb shell
error: device not found

C:\Android\tools>

can anyone please help!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred