How to stop gmail from playing an alert sound when opening unread messages?

pg94au

Dec 5, 2022
Visit site
I had this problem for a while on my P20 Pro and now it's back again on an S22+. When new email comes in I get an alert, which is fine. However, when I open gmail, each time I open an unread email a moment later an alert sound is played again. Opening an already read email does not result in an alert. I don't want alert sounds played when I am already in gmail, for each message I choose to read. I don't see any settings related to this. Has anyone got an idea how to fix this odd behavior?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Try long press the Gmail icon >tap info>notification>notification catagories>tap mail to get to another menu >sound and choose silent see if that helps

I'll leave a Link to register so you can communicate here , As a guest account you can only post questions but can't reply.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=409154

Sent from my SM-F721U1 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I made you the owner of the original guest post to make it easier for you to find.

I'm glad you figured it out!

pg94au

Dec 5, 2022
Visit site
I ended up clearing cached data for Gmail and then these additional alerts on each message read stopped happening.

Unfortunately, the problem is back and clearing the cache does not resolve it. I am not sure why it was not happening for a very short time. I never really fixed it on my previous phone when it started happening either. It just stopped and my assumption was that Google fixed the issue. New phone with the app updated, so it seems not. I don't know if anyone else has encountered this and knows the reason?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately, the problem is back and clearing the cache does not resolve it. I am not sure why it was not happening for a very short time. I never really fixed it on my previous phone when it started happening either. It just stopped and my assumption was that Google fixed the issue. New phone with the app updated, so it seems not. I don't know if anyone else has encountered this and knows the reason?
Have you tried resetting the app by clearing data then force stop ?

pg94au

Dec 5, 2022
Visit site
When you hear that alert sound, do you notice any new notification icons in the status bar?

Yes, that is happening. When I open each unread message (other than the last) the gmail notification icon disappears and then it appears again at the same time that the alert notification is played. I am going to try clearing data also, to see if that resolves this issue.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you see the notification, instead of dismissing it, long-press it, then tap the notification settings option that shows up in the expanded notification details. See if you can determine which notification category that falls in, and turn toggle that off..

pg94au

Dec 5, 2022
Visit site
When you see the notification, instead of dismissing it, long-press it, then tap the notification settings option that shows up in the expanded notification details. See if you can determine which notification category that falls in, and turn toggle that off..

If I long press the notification, I can adjust notification settings, but there was no information about which notification category was responsible for it (only obviously that it was gmail). Despite still occurring again after clearing data, it has stopped happening recently. I'm not aware of any action that I took to stop this behavior, but it is at least for now gone. I would say that regardless of how either settings or notifications are configured, it is a defect in gmail that it is even possible for this to happen. Thanks for the replies. I'll follow up if I ever do have more information about what caused this problem and how to stop it.

pg94au

Dec 5, 2022
Visit site
Getting back to this, this issue has arisen more than once since my last post. I've found that clearing the gmail cache makes it go away, but it can return again in the future. It is interesting to note that on one occasion, it was even visible that there were multiple notifications from gmail in the notification status bar (only actually saw this once).

I did also create this issue in relation to the same issue with my previous phone, but no formal response. Only two replies confirming the same issue.

https://support.google.com/mail/thr...ready-received-new-email-in-android-app?hl=en

Screenshot_NotificationBar.jpg
Screenshot_Notifications.jpg

Last edited:

pg94au

Dec 5, 2022
Visit site
I did finally figure out what the issue here is. I have more than one account set up in gmail on my phone. When I have "Inbox" selected and I view unread email, there is a notification alert played on the phone each time a new message is opened. If I have "All inboxes" selected, it does not do this. This has been an issue for quite a long time now, unfortunately.

Regarding my previous message with the multiple notification icons, that has never happened again.