HTC 10 battery drain issue after Oreo update

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Is anyone else experiencing excessive battery drain after the recent Oreo update from Verizon? I had a full charge 4h 45m ago and my battery is already down to 51% with minimal usage. The only device or app usage above 5% is the screen with 10% at 1h 3m.

I usually get through the day easily but now I am having to charge before the day is over if I want to use my phone at all.

Thanks for any help.

skynny70

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Have you already tried wiping the cache partition? https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-25804

Thanks for the advice. I did this last night but it doesn't seem to have helped the issue with the excessive battery drain. It has been off full charge for 3 hours and my battery is already at 66%. I have made two phone calls, sent several text messages, and replied to some emails. Nothing in usage is higher than 6% which is the "screen" for 38 mins.

I have had no previous issues with battery drain until I upgraded to Oreo this past weekend. Arggghhh!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Mobile Network Standby seems a little high -- that can increase if cell signal is poor. Try installing GSam Battery Monitor and look at the Cell Signal Strength graph over the course of a charge.

skynny70

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
Battery life has improved slightly but still not what I used to get before the Oreo update. Here are some stats from GSam Battery Monitor.

Screenshot_20180420-093329.jpg
Screenshot_20180420-093414.jpg
Screenshot_20180420-093419.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Cell signal strength seems fairly unstable. Has this always been the case? Are you able to see what your battery life is like in an area with solid cell signal?

skynny70

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
I have not been in any different areas than normal. Basically work and home. My home doesn't get great cell signal but I have lived there five years and didn't have this issue prior to upgrading to Oreo. I am at a loss.

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I have not been in any different areas than normal. Basically work and home. My home doesn't get great cell signal but I have lived there five years and didn't have this issue prior to upgrading to Oreo. I am at a loss.

I found I had a similar issue when I first upgraded but not as bad. Have you updated your apps to more current versions? I had held back as many were changed for Oreo. I especially found that upgrading the Verizon messages app helped. I kept finding very long wait times to open each message the first time. I ended up updating over 30 apps and Id say it normalized out over the next day or two. I will suggest you read the reviews for each app for the current version before you update as some have bugs. I didnt clear cache or anything but I did restart the phone after updates. FYI I restart my phone periodically and it helps a lot!

skynny70

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
I found I had a similar issue when I first upgraded but not as bad. Have you updated your apps to more current versions? I had held back as many were changed for Oreo. I especially found that upgrading the Verizon messages app helped. I kept finding very long wait times to open each message the first time. I ended up updating over 30 apps and Id say it normalized out over the next day or two. I will suggest you read the reviews for each app for the current version before you update as some have bugs. I didnt clear cache or anything but I did restart the phone after updates. FYI I restart my phone periodically and it helps a lot!

I have updated every app except Chrome because I was having the known email issue. Maybe that won't occur now that I am on Oreo? I will look into that and see what happens.

skynny70

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
I think I may have resolved my issue. At least I have improved the battery life anyway. I did some Google searches and found these two posts on Mashtips.

https://mashtips.com/android-oreo-extend-battery-life/

https://mashtips.com/find-battery-draining-apps-android-oreo/

I also updated Chrome which I had not done in 5 weeks due to the email issue I was having. I am not sure what helped. It may have been one specific change or a combination of all the things I did from these articles but I am seeing less battery drain.

Screenshot_20180421-155332.jpg

ItsjustmeMV

Oct 4, 2018
Visit site
I have the same problem!!! But after seeing this post i checked to see my background usage, and i had a lot to see hahah. Facebook is the devil! 9hrs of background usage is criminal... guessing that's why my phone was draining fast... Thank you for this post! Hopefully i solved my problem too 😊

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181004-115002.jpg
    Screenshot_20181004-115002.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 3

Principino93

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site
I have exactly the same issue and also was having problem with shutdowns and bootloops when low battery etc. I replace battery and it resolved that issues, but still have trouble with battery drain. When phone is not used battery is great, get 92% points on htc battery test but when i start to use it battery is going down rapidly, im getting max around 3h on sot with new battery... And i see like you skynny high drain on mobile network like never before, on older android i was having 1 maybe 2%, now sometimes around 7-10%,and higher results on android system and kernel. Dont know what to do, i have done also factory reset after replacing battery and it hadnt changed anything. That tips you have linked didnt helped me :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181017-190058.jpg
    Screenshot_20181017-190058.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 1

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soikeobong2024