HTC Backup not working

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I've used HTC Backup since my HTC Evo 4G LTE and it's worked flawlessly on the M8 until Aug 23rd. Now it tries to back up but fails and I get the "htc backup service cannot be reached at this time" message in the settings window. The last successful back up was Aug 22nd. I can't find the old thread I thought I used to see here. Any ideas?

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I just noticed that my last update was back on September 3rd. The first time I tried to update, I got that error as well, but I was moving from wifi to 3G. When I tried again on network, it worked. Will check this more, though, because it shouldn't go a week between syncs.

ConsterMock

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

Had the same problem and contacted HTC Helpdesk. Created a new account to let you know what fixed it for me. Here is what HTC told me to do, and it solved it for me:

• Go to settings>Accounts & sync>facebook>remove
  • Restart your device
  • Run the backup function again

My facebook account was not linked to the HTC Backup function at all (it uses the HTC account + Dropbox) but for some reason removing the facebook account solved this problem.

Hope this helps!

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
That worked! Thank you for taking the time to create an account to help. Not sure why Facebook would interfere. I re- synced Facebook after the back up. Hopefully there will be a patch to solve this issue, because I actually need (or want?) to sync my FB contacts....

ConsterMock

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
No problem! Glad I could help. Yeah I asked them why it would interfere but they couldn't answer that...
I re-added my Facebook account, ran the Backup again and immediately got the same error back... Are you experiencing this as well?
Looks like a have to do this proces over and over again if I want to backup...

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
No problem! Glad I could help. Yeah I asked them why it would interfere but they couldn't answer that...
I re-added my Facebook account, ran the Backup again and immediately got the same error back... Are you experiencing this as well?
Looks like a have to do this process over and over again if I want to backup...
Mine worked when I manually tried again after re syncing FB.... Not sure why, but glad it did...

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
This isn't working for me anymore for some reason. I read about clearing the FB cache and that didn't work either... For some reason it backed itself up a few days ago automatically again, but will not back up again...

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
My backup failed as well yesterday when I restored my phone, said something about the file is corrupted and I had to dl all the apps over again.

jcdub

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I had this problem before. It only resolved itself when I received the last update 4.4.3. I'm sure when you receive 4.4.4 it will work again as normal

Posted via Android Central App

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem before. It only resolved itself when I received the last update 4.4.3. I'm sure when you receive 4.4.4 it will work again as normal

Posted via Android Central App

Yeah...Sprints been pretty good at getting out the updates lately. Hopefully 4.4.4 will be here soon.

Fran Hoey

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately that didn't work for me.

I called the help line and they advised me to uninstall the Facebook updates (resetting Facebook to the factory installed version). Reading between the lines, there maybe something about the Facebook files that are causing the problem.

Again, didn't work for me, but might for others.

Looks like the fault is in a recent update, apparently another update is in the pipeline, but no official ETA yet.

The advice in my situation was to use the Sync Manager application and back up the phone to my PC rather than the cloud.

Matthew Williams8

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here, I tried the Facebook thing but it didn't work. Is there a limit how much you can back up as I have a 64 external card on my M8. I'm not really sure how this back up works. All I know is I Never had problems when I was with Apple so I hope this isn't the norm with android phones

Garethm8

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi folks

I have just been through all this on a Live Support Call and none of the FB fixes work for me. I either get 'HTC Back-up service cannot be reached at this time - please try again later' or it just stops at 53% and then fails!

Hopefully a proper fix soon.

Cheers

Gareth

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Just checked mine and it worked automatically today. Not sure if it's because of the 4.4.4 update or because FB updated yesterday. We'll see.....

yassarikhan786

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm suffering from the same problem :(.

The process stops at 35% and I get the failed message. The facebook trick didn't work for me.

I think the problems started after the last update.

deechte

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here since Android 4.4.4 update (I think). I tried every FB trick listed anywhere: removed account, removed cache and data, removed FB app updates, deactivated FB app, removed non-native FB apps, numerous cold restarts. No success. I also changed the storage destination for the backup to another google drive account. No success.

Now I've removed data and cache of the HTC backup app, and it starting working again! It's weird, cause I think I've also done that before without success, but I'm not sure. Just thought I'd share it here anyway.