HTC One (M8) will be Verizon Exclusive at launch?

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: HTC One M8 will be Verizon Exclusive at launch?

Honestly, if they can pull of a same day release for any carrier, I will be thoroughly impressed, even if it's not my carrier of choice. Such a feat would require substantial coordination and will show that HTC is "trying" even if it's a single-carrier exclusivity for a week or two. Though of course, all of this is total speculation, and should be taken with less than a grain of salt until tomorrow at the announcement. :)

Most definitely... I cannot recall a device with same-day availability, honestly. Even more surprising for Verizon only because of their botched launch last year. But Verizon seems to be stepping it up a bit with an early update on Moto X to 4.4, an launching M7 with 4.2 (IIRC) before updates hit other carriers...

I'm on VZW but won't be buying the M8 on launch if it's tied to VZW corporate stores only, since Best Buy has that $50 promo going on. Also want to feel out any quality control issues that some early adopters are experiencing.

I think that is mostly correct in if someone can't wait two weeks they didn't want it that bad. However there are a few people out there that might be in real need of a phone.
That's true as well, but I would assume the M8 would land before the S5, or around the same time. But for those who can't reasonably wait that much longer after tomorrow, it's unfortunate =[

In that situation I would buy a cheap-ish phone off Craigslist to hold me over...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I'll wait for the stream tomorrow to get the official word ;).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Honestabebread

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site

Well the phone does come out tomorrow on VZW at 1PM. We just got in a launch kit and the instructions say to wait till 1PM on the 25th. Also got in sellable units

Sent from my XT1080 using Mobile Nations mobile app

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I am currently debating between the s5 and the one. I was ready to jump on the one just out of excitement and wanting something new. Having to wait another two weeks will just make it harder to choose between the two. I am sure I am not the only one that is that way even if its not the most logical reason.

Welcome to the club!! :)

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Well the phone does come out tomorrow on VZW at 1PM. We just got in a launch kit and the instructions say to wait till 1PM on the 25th. Also got in sellable units

Are they 32gb's?

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

It's just two weeks...... Seriously?

Posted via Android Central App
Yes seriously. Principle over consumerism. You let them take an inch, they will take a mile. Exclusivity hurts consumers the most.

Forrwal. People getting up in arms will be the same ones running to preorder once it opens on their carrier. It was all fine and dandy last year when it didn't launch on all carriers right away.

Exclusivity and carriers holding off are two different things. If Verizon has an announce exclusive to first dibs it is totally different than carriers just holding on to the phone for a week or two before other carriers. On one hand you have deals being made to give companies first goes on devices, essentially slapping the face of all the other customers who want the product. On the other hand, you have carriers blocking their consumers from getting a phone, not HTC itself. Two totally separate problems.

And again, it's just two weeks. If you can't wait that long, you probably weren't all that interested in the phone anyway.
I've already explained in another thread that this is a false statement. In fact, I can argue because you're so interested in the phone that if HTC (and not your carrier) makes you wait because of a exclusivity deal with another carrier then they are slapping all those who are dying for this phone in the face. I'm not their dog, I'm not going to wait because they want me to, consumer power is a very real thing in free markets and the only way to voice your opinion is to not buy their product.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

When was the last time all four carriers had a device launch at the same time? One of the carriers is gonna be late to the party - usually it's Verizon. So you're upset because Verizon may release it first? And that in itself will make you leave HTC?

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

When was the last time all four carriers had a device launch at the same time? One of the carriers is gonna be late to the party - usually it's Verizon. So you're upset because Verizon may release it first? And that in itself will make you leave HTC?

I already mentioned the distinction between carrier release dates and exclusivity. On one hand, it is the carriers final decision on when to buy/release the product out, on the other is HTC specifically holding the device from carriers while one carrier has a 2 week hullabaloo with the phone. So yes, I would be upset if HTC decided to announce exclusivity.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I totally get what you're saying Lindt and philosophically agree with you.

But, every company at some point in their history has had an exclusivity agreement. Whether that made people choose a different phone or not is hard to say. It didn't stop you from getting the One, even though there were plenty of exclusives with the One X the year before.

jasonaward

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I'm not their dog, I'm not going to wait because they want me to, consumer power is a very real thing in free markets and the only way to voice your opinion is to not buy their product.

Then you probably weren't all that interested in the phone if you can't wait two weeks. No one even knew about the VZW exclusivity until a couple of days ago. Did you really think the phone was going to be released same-day? Did you really think the phone was going to be released on all carriers on the same day? If you answer yes to either question, you were probably delusional going into the thought of purchasing this phone.

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

Then you probably weren't all that interested in the phone if you can't wait two weeks. No one even knew about the VZW exclusivity until a couple of days ago. Did you really think the phone was going to be released same-day? Did you really think the phone was going to be released on all carriers on the same day? If you answer yes to either question, you were probably delusional going into the thought of purchasing this phone.

I'm going to explain it again so you understand.
Exclusivity and carriers holding off are two DISTINCT things.
If HTC announced exclusivity, it means they are the ones who want to hold the phone from consumers.
If it is just being sold by Verizon first, and the other carriers are holding off, even though HTC never announced exclusivity and is allowing carriers to sell the phone whenever they want, then it is the carriers' fault.
Two different problems.

It didn't stop you from getting the One, even though there were plenty of exclusives with the One X the year before.
Good point but I didn't have any HTC products in the past. I love the One, it was meant to be for every carrier just as most flagships are. I had no idea about their phones, and frankly I didn't care until I was invested in their product. A company that is headed out the door shouldn't try and be cheeky with exclusivity on their flagship, that's just wrong.

ugxvibe

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

Gun metal 32gb units I hope..

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

jasonaward

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I'm going to explain it again so you understand.
Exclusivity and carriers holding off are two DISTINCT things.
If HTC announced exclusivity, it means they are the ones who want to hold the phone from consumers.
If it is just being sold by Verizon first, and the other carriers are holding off, even though HTC never announced exclusivity and is allowing carriers to sell the phone whenever they want, then it is the carriers' fault.
Two different problems.

I know what you're saying, and it doesn't change the fact that either way, from the rumors, some carriers are getting the phone first. You'll likely never know who pulled the trigger or why certain carriers got the phone first. And it doesn't change the fact of my point --- IF the exclusivity is temporary for, say, two weeks... if you can't wait two weeks for a phone, you probably weren't all that interested in it anyway. If you think the S5 or whatever other phone out there is better suited for you, buy it. But if you're basing that decision on some weird principal that HTC screwed you over with a two week delay window, I think you're being overly dramatic and you weren't interested in the phone anyway.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site

Couldn't have said it better, most of it is just forum drama anyway. No one here is boycotting the HTC because of this and if they did? Who cares.
I know what you're saying, and it doesn't change the fact that either way, from the rumors, some carriers are getting the phone first. You'll likely never know who pulled the trigger or why certain carriers got the phone first. And it doesn't change the fact of my point --- IF the exclusivity is temporary for, say, two weeks... if you can't wait two weeks for a phone, you probably weren't all that interested in it anyway. If you think the S5 or whatever other phone out there is better suited for you, buy it. But if you're basing that decision on some weird principal that HTC screwed you over with a two week delay window, I think you're being overly dramatic and you weren't interested in the phone anyway.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Yes seriously. Principle over consumerism. You let them take an inch, they will take a mile. Exclusivity hurts consumers the most.

Exclusivity and carriers holding off are two different things. If Verizon has an announce exclusive to first dibs it is totally different than carriers just holding on to the phone for a week or two before other carriers. On one hand you have deals being made to give companies first goes on devices, essentially slapping the face of all the other customers who want the product. On the other hand, you have carriers blocking their consumers from getting a phone, not HTC itself. Two totally separate problems.

I've already explained in another thread that this is a false statement. In fact, I can argue because you're so interested in the phone that if HTC (and not your carrier) makes you wait because of a exclusivity deal with another carrier then they are slapping all those who are dying for this phone in the face. I'm not their dog, I'm not going to wait because they want me to, consumer power is a very real thing in free markets and the only way to voice your opinion is to not buy their product.

so then in that two week time frame what phone are you going to get? You're one of those who will buy another phone and then complain saying "x forced me to buy it" rather than wait 2 weeks for a phone you actually wanted. Gotta love the entitled generation.

peteypab2133

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395689303542.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395689303542.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 41
  • uploadfromtaptalk1395689338171.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395689338171.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

I'm hearing no tap to sleep. Only wake. Is this true? If so, WTF???

If anybody wants more M8 info, XDA forum has a worthy thread over in their general section. Last few pages appear to have sample pictures from the camera and more. Not sure if it's against the rules here to post the link.

Also I would REALLY appreciate any words on BoomSound for the M8. General impressions. Compared to the M7. Etc. Thanks.

Honestabebread

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site

I can only get it to sleep with a double tap, not wake. Probably because of the demo software. Also, that flip cover is the ****

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe