I can't update my Samsung because it says it is rooted when it isn't

daffodills

Feb 22, 2019
Visit site
Hi, Everyone. I have no idea why this is happening but yesterday when i tried to update my Samsung S5 I encountered this message ''the operating system on your device has been modified in an unauthorised way. Try downloading software updates using Smart Switch on your PC or visit a customer service centre.''

I have never updated my phone since i bought it in 2017, so i installed Smart Switch on my PC. I connected my phone but the update button wouldn't show.

I understand that the reason I'm having these problems is because it is saying my phone is rooted. I did root my phone last year but i unrooted it sometime later. However now when i check the device status it says ''Custom'' meaning it is still rooted. However, when i install root checker apps such as SuperSu it says my device is not rooted.

What is the truth? why is my phone giving me mixed messages as to whether or not it is rooted? Is it possible that when i unrooted my phone last year i did it incorrectly and it did not properly unroot? Is there anyway i can fully unroot my phone so i can install an update?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Spawnlives

Nov 16, 2018
Visit site
Modifying Samsung phones will trip your Knox (Samsung security crap). This is why it say's custom in device status.
There is no fix for a tripped Knox except for a new mother board or new phone.
Tripping your Knox will stop you from getting OTA updates. The only way to update is via smart switch or Odin.
You can check Knox status in download (Odin) mode. If it say's 0x1 then it's tripped.

UnicornBxscuitz

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
Rooting Samsung phones are pretty dangerous as I've been trying until I got my Samsung Note 9.

I dunno really how to help but the best thing to do is just to scrap it :((((

If you haven't tried, Factory Reset your samsung, Idk if that will work but I hope you fix it buddy :)

daffodills

Feb 22, 2019
Visit site
Is there anything else i can do? Is it worth it to replace the motherboard? roughly how much would that cost? I live in Sydney, Australia.

Also, the only reason i want it to be unrooted is because i want to install the OTA updates for my Samsung. I did some checking online and people are saying you still should be able to receive updates even with a tripped phone. Is this true?

Last edited:

Spawnlives

Nov 16, 2018
Visit site
Where neighbours I live in Brisbane.
I have read conflicting reports about whether or not updates are possible with a tripped knox but basically the answer is no.
The Age of the device may have some bearing on this to as Knox security has progressed with newer phones. Eg: there's a new one now called kgstate which is causing some issues.
I have jumped from a S3 to an s8 ( about to screw up my s9 ) and it fails all the time with updates because of my tripped knox.
As for replacing the mother board I don't know how much the cost is but being on a s5 might be cheaper to buy a new phone.
But if you want to try I would first download a root checking app from playstore ( I use root beer sample ) to check to see if you phone (for want of a better term) is still rooted. Unrooting or flashing firmware may not remove all elements of the rooting process (something may get left behind).
As for the updates themselves since I can't do OTA I have to flash via Odin and these come out every 2-3 months as full firmware packages.
I have checked updates for the S5 and the latest version ii could find s 6.01 ( marshmellow ) for Australia

daffodills

Feb 22, 2019
Visit site
I have read conflicting reports about whether or not updates are possible with a tripped knox but basically the answer is no.
The Age of the device may have some bearing on this to as Knox security has progressed with newer phones. Eg: there's a new one now called kgstate which is causing some issues.
I have jumped from a S3 to an s8 ( about to screw up my s9 ) and it fails all the time with updates because of my tripped knox.
As for replacing the mother board I don't know how much the cost is but being on a s5 might be cheaper to buy a new phone.
But if you want to try I would first download a root checking app from playstore ( I use root beer sample ) to check to see if you phone (for want of a better term) is still rooted. Unrooting or flashing firmware may not remove all elements of the rooting process (something may get left behind).
As for the updates themselves since I can't do OTA I have to flash via Odin and these come out every 2-3 months as full firmware packages.
I have checked updates for the S5 and the latest version ii could find s 6.01 ( marshmellow ) for Australia

My device says that it's Android version is 6.0.1

ow can that be the case since i haven't updated it since i bought it in 2017?

daffodills

Feb 22, 2019
Visit site

Spawnlives

Nov 16, 2018
Visit site

Latest updates I can find for the S5 for Australia
These are full firmwares which when released usually include all security updates.
There have been no updates since that I can find
Latest is 6.0.1 marshmallow

XSA - unbranded - March 17
Telstra - Nov 17
Vodaphone - may 17
Optus - Dec 17
Boost - may 17

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member