I really want to like Android

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I really am not God, n8ter#AC. I apologize for any confusion you may have experienced.

Should you be interested in contacting said higher power, there most likely are assorted religious institutions in your local area which may be able to help.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I've never owned an Apple product and feel no need or desire to.
For the longest time, if you were any kind of graphic or publishing professional, there really was no substitute for having a Mac. Of course, I also remember the "bad old days" when PC users had to fsck with IRQ and DMA settings and often couldn't, for instance, connect to an online service and listen to audio at the same time.

I'm beyond happy with my Android phones. The screens are gorgeous, the fit in my hand feels nice, there's more space to type, there's an app for almost everything.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

What I admire about Apple is their amazing ability to make money, especially on products which lack the innovations of Android and others.
Apple isn't a company any longer; they are a cult. That should be quite obvious given the sub-par featureset you get with many/most of their products which their devoted minions are all to giddy to part with obscene amounts of cash to obtain.

(With my luck, I'll get banned for this.)
I'm certain my response to your comment here is going to be taken as a flame from an Android fanboy against Apple customers, which it really isn't. But you know the honest truth, mrsmumbles? I really don't care one way or the other. Though I could do with Tom Fairclough's intimate knowledge of Australianisms to more properly and poetically express the considerable amount of a certain fun-activity not given over anyone else's opinions in this regard.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
For the longest time, if you were any kind of graphic or publishing professional, there really was no substitute for having a Mac. Of course, I also remember the "bad old days" when PC users had to fsck with IRQ and DMA settings and often couldn't, for instance, connect to an online service and listen to audio at the same time.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Apple isn't a company any longer; they are a cult. That should be quite obvious given the sub-par featureset you get with many/most of their products which their devoted minions are all to giddy to part with obscene amounts of cash to obtain.

I'm certain my response to your comment here is going to be taken as a flame from an Android fanboy against Apple customers, which it really isn't. But you know the honest truth, mrsmumbles? I really don't care one way or the other. Though I could do with Tom Fairclough's intimate knowledge of Australianisms to more properly and poetically express the considerable amount of a certain fun-activity not given over anyone else's opinions in this regard.

Lol, I agree with all you said. As for the flaming, I don't see it as such. I'm tired of the odes to Apple that get posted with surprising regularity here, for an Android forum. To me, that's the flaming/flame bait. It's intentionally antagonistic on the part of the cult of Apple because, if they wanted to express their devotion and be appreciated for it, they'd be doing it in an Apple forum, not here at Android Central.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

frankenhooker

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Users are supposed to control their device, not the other way around. I've never been someone who is particularly loyal to a company, I buy what suits me best at that time. The word 'cult' has been thrown about and it's apt at times. Some companies have such a following that it hampers innovation, they don't need to go to the next level because they're going to sell a truck load of units anyway.

Buy a device that's best for you, you shouldn't have to try and like anything, if I picked up an apple device and didn't get on with it, I'd put it down and try the next device.

Therk

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Yep. I tried a few of them when I had the Moto X. Same results. Google Voice seems to be pretty accurate so maybe that's the way to go for lengthy texts. I find myself using Siri more for things like that anyway (Especially when Jan 1st rolls around).

What happens January 1st?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
A-ha! What state is that in? In Florida I think they outlawed all texting, even when you do it through a handsfree method like Siri.
Didn't seem to help, whenever I drive around Miami area, almost every driver I see around me have a cellphone in their hand, they also like to use it while tailgating me.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
As I mentioned in another thread, Google does a good job making you feel like you're missing the party if you're not using Android. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but my eyes don't like the cartoonish icons and the overall lack of fit and polish compared to iOS. Does Android not provide for vector graphics for UI design ? I'm not a programmer so I might be way off this. I'm probably in the small minority that wishes Google Now played an even larger role than it does now. I would enjoy having Google Now as my home screen with a card that shows message counts and perhaps social mentions (Twitter, FB, etc ). I think Android OS gets better with each update but it's still not quite there in terms of fit and finish. The Nexus 5 was probably the nicest Android phone I've used to date (I've also used the Moto X and Galaxy S4 recently). I'm at mile marker 7 of a 10 mile stretch. Give me something closer to iMessage and polish up the UI and icons so that I can get back on the road.

I'm an iOS user as well and I disagree. I don't think android lacks finish or polish. I think iOS and android are completely different. I like the way android looks, it feels different but I'm a good way. It would be annoying if Apple and Google did things the same way.

I use both platforms daily but lately I have preferred my note 3 to my 5S. Android alleviates frustrations that I've had with iOS for years. I love android's sharing intents, default apps, and control. If I don't like something on android most things can be changed without root. Both platforms have their +'s and -'s. One area that I have noticed a significant improvement in android is chrome. Scrolling isn't a problem anymore and doesn't make me want to return my device.

I do agree with you about iMessage. Google needs a like product. I was excited when hangouts with SMS was launched but sad when I got to use it for the first time. It's really annoying that hangouts doesn't merge SMS and hangouts conversations. So annoying to have two separate threads for the same person. That being said, I think it is still a huge improvement over the old stock SMS app.