I think my phone is rooted and I can't update the software. Help pls?

A

AC Question

I currently just had my uncle hand me a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100. At first I had to service it so that it can read my SIM card because it was locked to a previous provider (It was locked to Smart. I'm from the Philippines). I paid him quite cheaper compared to the others that I talked to so I think he used an easier method by just rooting my phone. I checked and it is rooted. My question is now, can I still update my firmware to the latest available for this model? My current version is 4.1.2

Thank you for any help that I'll get about this. Open to suggestions as well to remedy.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
First, rooting does not unlock a phone.

Now I'm speaking about how it is here in the US, not sure about there. If I buy an AT&T phone and then have it unlocked and sell it to someone to use on Verizon, they can't update with the update Verizon sends out, even though they are on Verizon, it is still an AT&T branded phone. Also AT&T will not send them an update because they are not an AT&T customer.

What people do here is either take it to a Samsung store and have the update flashed or buy a cheap prepaid SIM card from the original carrier, insert in the phone and then do the update or borrow a SIM card from someone with that carrier, like maybe your uncle, insert and do the update.

Now if it is rooted, you will have to unroot to update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ab07