ICS Update for the Nexus S 4G Discussion Thread

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I only flashed the radio. I seem to get an extra bar at my house. Not sure about speeds yet, but so far so good.
From my experience and what I have read it appears to be a signal reception strength increase but not a "speed" related increase.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Can we flash the radio if we're still rockin' stock GB and waiting for the OTA?
Yes I don't see why not.... Radio is separate from the OS so it shouldn't matter, I know in the past on previous Samsung devices (Epic 4g) we could flash any radio made for the Epic on any version of OS.

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes I don't see why not.... Radio is separate from the OS so it shouldn't matter, I know in the past on previous Samsung devices (Epic 4g) we could flash any radio made for the Epic on any version of OS.

Interesting - though I noted in the link you provided that it looks like I need to be rooted. I'm trying to avoid "messing" with my phone like that until after my initial year's warranty runs out. This isn't something that can be done from within the bootloader, is it?

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
At this point I'm just waiting until the official release. I can wait a few weeks without switching roms again.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Interesting - though I noted in the link you provided that it looks like I need to be rooted. I'm trying to avoid "messing" with my phone like that until after my initial year's warranty runs out. This isn't something that can be done from within the bootloader, is it?
Actually you can flash the radio.img from the bootloader but you will have to unlock your bootloader to do so which wipes "erases" your device.

If your interested, you can grab the IMM26D_Fastboot_Install.zip package which has the necessary tools inside it from the thread below.

[ICS][4.0.4][NS4G] ICS 4.0.4. IMM26D FASTBOOT Installation Method

• Extract that zip package to your C:/ drive on your computer.
  • Power your device into the bootloader (Volume UP+Power)
  • Connect you device via cable to computer
  • Click on the file called "command prompt.bat" inside that folder of tools you extracted. This will open a command window.
  • Enter the following codes below to unlock & flash the radio.

:: Unlock the bootloader ::

Code:
fastboot oem unlock

:: Flash the radio ::

signed_radio.zip (Extract this zip file to the folder of tools you downloaded/extracted)

Code:
fastboot flash radio signed_radio.img
When finished select reboot from your bootloader screen.

pizana

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
If I decide to flash this rom, will i still be able to recieve furture OTA'S on it. And how stable is this, is it really the official.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
If I decide to flash this rom, will i still be able to recieve furture OTA'S on it. And how stable is this, is it really the official.
It depends. If Sprint does use this as the final version, then you will still receive OTAs. You never know, however, and things could be changed in the final OTA and this could be Beta where as the first leak could've been Alpha stage.

I'd say you should just err on the side of caution and if you flash this, flash back to stock, locked bootloader 2.3.7 when the OTA does come.

As for stability, it's infinitely more stable than 2.3.7 was for me. Practically no slow downs and it's even fixed the sound issue I was having where I could hear absolutely nothing on Media or Ringtone if the sound was "Medium" or below.

pizana

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Im trying to install it but how do i get passed the unlock bootloader screen? theres no options and im trying to press the power button and nothing comes up.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Im trying to install it but how do i get passed the unlock bootloader screen? theres no options and im trying to press the power button and nothing comes up.

What instructions are you following to do so?

I have two threads here to flash this.
One using Odin and the other thread using fastboot

pizana

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
The odin method but I downloaded everything but when its time to go into download mode it takes me to the unlock bootloader screen with nothing to press. It shows that the bootloader is already unlocked but I cant do anything. I have to take the battery out each time in order to get my phone to come on again.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The odin method but I downloaded everything but when its time to go into download mode it takes me to the unlock bootloader screen with nothing to press. It shows that the bootloader is already unlocked but I cant do anything. I have to take the battery out each time in order to get my phone to come on again.
The Odin method works for some without issue and not for others..

I recommend trying the Fastboot method I provided. Seems to go off without a hitch for those having trouble with Odin.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...-0-4-imm26d-fastboot-installation-method.html

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Actually you can flash the radio.img from the bootloader but you will have to unlock your bootloader to do so which wipes "erases" your device.

Hm. Alright. I'm honestly too lazy to mess around with that much work right now, so I guess I'll continue waiting for the OTA. Hopefully this week or next.

Thanks for the answers. :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hm. Alright. I'm honestly too lazy to mess around with that much work right now, so I guess I'll continue waiting for the OTA. Hopefully this week or next.

Thanks for the answers. :)
No problem.. Completely understandable about waiting on the OTA update..

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't notice much of a difference in speed. The new build doesn't have the bug where the keyboard would get stuck when exiting out of an app which is good.

I'm noticing a significant increase in speed, especially when changing launcher screens. Launching apps is significantly faster than the previous 4.0.4 build that was out there as well. I can also launch "Crackle", which on the old build would crash upon launching a video.
Battery life seems much better on this build as well. Previously after leaving work my battery would be under 50%, right now (and after a lot of goofing off) my battery is at 73% after a full day.
The screen is much more responsive as well to touch.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site

You'll have to unlock the bootloader a different way. It looks like they disabled the actual radio buttons on the screen on some phones. I had the same issue previously and used the OneClick method to unlock it.
How to Root the Nexus S / Nexus S 4G with one click root v4

This worked quickly and effectively, just make sure you follow the instructions and choose the correct phone.

pizana

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey how do I install the Driver RAR on my pc because when i put the usb, the drivers dont install properly. I have Win Rar to extract them

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr_Mendelli