ICS Update for the Nexus S 4G Discussion Thread

ortam

May 18, 2011
Visit site
If the Epic Touch gets it first I definitely plan on trying to have Sprint upgrade my phone. The entire reason why I bought the NS4G was to get ICS and other updates before other phones... Would sort of defeat the purpose of the device if others got ICS first.

Just curious what phone you would upgrade to?

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Besides the Galaxy S II getting ICS on the fifteenth we now have the HTC Vivid set to get ICS "in the comming weeks" http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-vivid-get-ics-coming-weeks-leak-available-now-brave

Gotta love this "pure Google" experience that the Nexus S 4G is offering me. Just take a look how Google is falsely advertising this phone.

Nexus S 4G from Google ?€“ Android Device Gallery

And I quote: "With this device, users will be the first to receive software upgrades and new Google mobile apps as soon as they become available."

Even for those that want to argue (^getting really close to losing that^) that ICS is not on another device yet. What about the "apps as soon as they become available" part. Pretty sure I can't use Chrome (a Google app) on my NS4G. Not a single NS4G user has been able to officially use it since it became "available".

Frankly I think the Nexus program is a joke. When the OEM's are set to update your OS before you can, there is a major problem. Not to mention that Google's silence on this issue is just sickening. Too bad there isn't some kind of reputable Android blog that sticks up for it's users and reports on these issues to try and get answers from Google. Oh well.

Last edited:

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Besides the Galaxy S II getting ICS on the fifteenth we now have the HTC Vivid set to get ICS "in the comming weeks" http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-vivid-get-ics-coming-weeks-leak-available-now-brave

Gotta love this "pure Google" experience that the Nexus S 4G is offering me. Just take a look how Google is falsely advertising this phone.

Nexus S 4G from Google ?€“ Android Device Gallery

And I quote: "With this device, users will be the first to receive software upgrades and new Google mobile apps as soon as they become available."

Even for those that want to argue (^getting really close to losing that^) that ICS is not on another device yet. What about the "apps as soon as they become available" part. Pretty sure I can't use Chrome (a Google app) on my NS4G. Not a single NS4G user has been able to officially use it since it became "available".

Frankly I think the Nexus program is a joke. When the OEM's are set to update your OS before you can, there is a major problem. Not to mention that Google's silence on this issue is just sickening. Too bad there isn't some kind of reputable Android blog that sticks up for it's users and reports on these issues to try and get answers from Google. Oh well.

It's obvious that ICS for the Nexus S 4G is not available right now as 4.0.4 isn't even complete. So, Chrome is not available to you either. You weren't lied to in any way.

If you seriously think that HTC and Samsung will not screw up the ICS update in and that it'll be stock ICS like the Galaxy Nexus has, I think you need to go back and look at their track record. OEM versions of Android won't magically change in any way with ICS. They'll look the same, behave the same, and overall, be the same because it would be pretty jarring for non-power users who have those phones to suddenly see the ICS GUI when they're so used to Sense/TouchWiz/Blur/whatever LG has.

You can either root your phone and get ICS, then go back to stock for the OTA if you want, or, you can enjoy it for the OS you have now. Never buy a phone just because of future updates. Always be sure you're satisfied with the OS your phone ships with because you never know how long you'll have to use it.

I think a lot of NS4G owners are simply starting to act spoiled and entitled. Sure, you were told you'd get updates as soon as humanly possible and that has been and still remains true. They're still working on Android 4.0.4 right now so 4.0.5 is nothing more than a rumor. Bugs happen and they do exist. If you want a buggy OS, then go flash an NS4G ROM based on T-Mobile's 4.0.3 and see how much you'd wish you waited.

You aren't owed anything. Not to mention you paid for a phone that you can literally customize to your heart's content. Neither Google or Sprint will stop you. Go do that.

Reactions: Skunkape60

mikiemike

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
It's obvious that ICS for the Nexus S 4G is not available right now as 4.0.4 isn't even complete. So, Chrome is not available to you either. You weren't lied to in any way.

If you seriously think that HTC and Samsung will not screw up the ICS update in and that it'll be stock ICS like the Galaxy Nexus has, I think you need to go back and look at their track record. OEM versions of Android won't magically change in any way with ICS. They'll look the same, behave the same, and overall, be the same because it would be pretty jarring for non-power users who have those phones to suddenly see the ICS GUI when they're so used to Sense/TouchWiz/Blur/whatever LG has.

You can either root your phone and get ICS, then go back to stock for the OTA if you want, or, you can enjoy it for the OS you have now. Never buy a phone just because of future updates. Always be sure you're satisfied with the OS your phone ships with because you never know how long you'll have to use it.

I think a lot of NS4G owners are simply starting to act spoiled and entitled. Sure, you were told you'd get updates as soon as humanly possible and that has been and still remains true. They're still working on Android 4.0.4 right now so 4.0.5 is nothing more than a rumor. Bugs happen and they do exist. If you want a buggy OS, then go flash an NS4G ROM based on T-Mobile's 4.0.3 and see how much you'd wish you waited.

You aren't owed anything. Not to mention you paid for a phone that you can literally customize to your heart's content. Neither Google or Sprint will stop you. Go do that.

You can't be serious; spoiled and entitled? I didn't buy this phone for the supposed updates, i just rooted it like i had previously on my other handsets, and flashed and ICS rom. Spoiled; I think not. Spoiled would be if NS4G owners received updates first, (as advertised) and then got nothing after. You must receive something in order to be spoiled my friend. Entitled; I think not. Expecting what was advertised is not acting entitled. I too am a bit tired of the droning on about it; but I do understand the frustration. True, "as fast as humanly possible" leaves alot of wiggle room, but the implication was there that led people to believe that updates would be swift and fruitful. This is pretty far from reality.

I don't think that name calling is really appropriate in this forum. People are voicing thier frustrations, and thats it. lets keep it above bar people.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

You can't be serious; spoiled and entitled? I didn't buy this phone for the supposed updates, i just rooted it like i had previously on my other handsets, and flashed and ICS rom. Spoiled; I think not. Spoiled would be if NS4G owners received updates first, (as advertised) and then got nothing after. You must receive something in order to be spoiled my friend. Entitled; I think not. Expecting what was advertised is not acting entitled. I too am a bit tired of the droning on about it; but I do understand the frustration. True, "as fast as humanly possible" leaves alot of wiggle room, but the implication was there that led people to believe that updates would be swift and fruitful. This is pretty far from reality.

I don't think that name calling is really appropriate in this forum. People are voicing thier frustrations, and thats it. lets keep it above bar people.

It's not name-calling, just simply telling the truth.

People are acting spoiled and entitled over something so trivial. They believe that just because it says "we'll get you updates as soon as humanly possible" and because their phone says "Nexus" in the title, they DESERVE updates before other phones no matter the cost.

There are people going to Google's own Google+ page and spamming them with "WHERE'S THE NEXUS S 4G UPDATE?!" Hell, there was a user on these forums who was telling people to do that just to get some "answers".

While you may have rooted and gotten ICS already, that does not apply for everyone with this phone. Just because you know not to buy phones for updates, not everyone does know that and they were probably told that the updates would be magically fast when that has never been the case.

The update advertised "as soon as humanly possible". Maybe you didn't take into consideration that they're building an OS here, that they are fixing bugs that would surely piss you off if they were pushed to phones haphazardly.

Voicing frustrations is one thing, being spoiled and entitled is another. Unfortunately, most NS4G users online are the latter. It may not be in THIS forum specifically but it's in tons of others.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Let's keep the discussion decent. I don't want a reason to start taking action from comments that are being made. It's not worth it.

Thanks everyone.
Paul.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

rstout76

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I saw over on xda that sprint's ns4g page under "key features " says that it has 4.0 on it. I checked it out and sure enough, it says android 4.0

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
By first software updates and app availability it doesn't necessarily mean pics first. Look at apps like netflix or Skype. They were on the nexus first, because it's stock.

I am disappointed with the time it has taken Google to release the update, but remember, your phone's hardware will be the same. I'm rooted with ics and it has some cool features, but people are acting like it is the magical cure for whatever issues their phone has be it apps force closing or the web loading too slow. If it's so important, then just go out of pocket for a new phone.

Reactions: Skunkape60

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I repeat. They sold and marketed this device as getting the updates FIRST.

It's false advertising and maybe fraud.

All nexus s 4g owners should be allowed to change devices free of charge.

Personally, i am switching to Verizon and going with the HTC resound as it actually gets good signal on good network. Then I won't have to worry about being lied to about updates. If they would have kept their word about updating my ns4g, I would have stayed with a galaxy nexus. But I have no reason to believe the same thing won't happen with that phone.

Last edited:

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Nice try google employee

Reactions: drummer7

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

X2 -------

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I repeat. They sold and marketed this device as getting the updates FIRST.

It's false advertising and maybe fraud.

All nexus s 4g owners should be allowed to change devices free of charge.

Personally, i am switching to Verizon and going with the HTC resound as it actually gets good signal on good network. Then I won't have to worry about being lied to about updates. If they would have kept their word about updating my ns4g, I would have stayed with a galaxy nexus. But I have no reason to believe the same thing won't happen with that phone.

That's a bit extreme. You do get updates first. You had Skype for example for months before many other phones.

A new phone? Just flash and have it over with.

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Skype is not a Google mobile app. The advertisement on Google's own page says "first to receive software upgrades and new Google mobile apps". A Google mobile app would be something like Chrome for Android. That app is made by Google and is a mobile app. So even though Google told us that our phone would be the first to receive "new mobile Google apps", we definitely have not. Even though it has been available on the Market for a month. Hence why this is false advertising, and probably could be considered fraud.

If you couple this with the fact that Google's is violating their new Privacy policy "Whenever you use our services, we aim to provide you with access to your personal information. If that information is wrong, we strive to give you ways to update it quickly or to delete it – unless we have to keep that information for legitimate business or legal purposes.", as Google does not allow users to delete unused/stolen or any other devices from their accounts. You also can not delete apps from your account, even apps that are abandoned by developers and only work on older versions of Android or apps that are falsely showing as purchased that were actually purchased on another market.

I predict some kind of class action in Google's future. They are just perpetually tripping over their own feet with screwing over their users.

Last edited:

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
You also were the first to get 2.3.5. I don't think it's reasonable to hold Google to that standard. Do you also want jellybean and key lime pie first? Not going to happen. It's not fraud, it's technology. It's always worked that way. Ask any apple customer. Anyway, I'm rooted and don't have to worry about it, so that's all I have to say in this thread as it is going nowhere.

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
You also were the first to get 2.3.5. I don't think it's reasonable to hold Google to that standard. Do you also want jellybean and key lime pie first? Not going to happen. It's not fraud, it's technology. It's always worked that way. Ask any apple customer. Anyway, I'm rooted and don't have to worry about it, so that's all I have to say in this thread as it is going nowhere.

I wasn't aware "technology" was advertising features of a product and then not delivering on those features once the product has been sold. Could have sworn that was fraud.

Reactions: piaband

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Ya, I'm rooted too. And I'm worried about the official update. Because it will make the other roms better as well. All these ics roms are stitched together from T-Mobile release, the leaked released, etc. When devs can make something from an official ns4g rom, it will be better for us too.

If I order something from amazon.com and its says it will deliver in 3 days...it dam well better deliver in 3 days. If it happens to be 4 I probably wouldn't care. But when 4 days turns into 4 months and other customers are receiving their order before me, it starts to piss me off.

The bottom line is that Google put the nexus s 4g on the back burner and didn't commit enough resources to live up to what THEY said the nexus would provide its users....fast updates, first.

I would bet I could win in small claims over this.

dunivan

Feb 11, 2011
www.bryantdunivan.com
I don't get all the complaining - we have seen the "test build" that came out of sprint, it had issues. Why would someone want to put something like that on their phone?

If you need ICS - use a rom.

I'll stick with GB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia