I'm looking for a decent TXT messenger app prefferable free, but not necessarily a must

EVJWinters

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I do not have a data plan, I am strictly pay-as-you-go, and cannot access the internet on my phone unless I am logged into a wifi network.
The app must be able to block unwanted txt messages
I have tried Chomp, but it does not have a block list feature
I've tried TrueCaller, but it chokes and fails to send out replies to text messages.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Block list is usually managed by the contacts app, not the SMS app. Or is there a specific feature needed?

Textra has a blacklist option though.

EVJWinters

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Block list is usually managed by the contacts app, not the SMS app. Or is there a specific feature needed?

Textra has a blacklist option though.

What I need is a means to select a text, and add it to a "block user" list of some sort. If that is accomplished via a contacts list, then I guess I'm looking for a contact list app that has the ability to block, and adds that ability to my sms app. I don't want to have to launch my contact list to block someone who sent me a text.

I'm currently trying DRUPE for a phone dialer, and it has a block feature, but when I'm in SMS, there is no way to block an unwanted number, so I have to switch to Drupe to block. But even when the number is blocked, it still shows up in the main list under SMS, it does not get removed from my front screen to a blocked list in SMS.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
What I need is a means to select a text, and add it to a "block user" list of some sort. If that is accomplished via a contacts list, then I guess I'm looking for a contact list app that has the ability to block, and adds that ability to my sms app. I don't want to have to launch my contact list to block someone who sent me a text.

I'm currently trying DRUPE for a phone dialer, and it has a block feature, but when I'm in SMS, there is no way to block an unwanted number, so I have to switch to Drupe to block. But even when the number is blocked, it still shows up in the main list under SMS, it does not get removed from my front screen to a blocked list in SMS.
You're still seeing them in the messages because you're using a third party to block phone calls. They can only block within app. You need to go into the stock contacts app set it up to block there. The contacts app that came with the phone blocks both SMS and calls.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
SMS blocking/rejecting may not work the way you want/hope.

SMS blocking/rejecting is done by the SMS app you are using.
The SMS message is always delivered to your phone.
After the message arrives, the SMS app will compare the "from" with the block list.
If the "from" is on the block list, the message will be silently discarded by the SMS app.
If the "from" is not on the block list, the SMS app will store the message in the database and notify you of a new message.

The SMS block list is managed separately from the phone-call block list.

EVJWinters

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
SMS blocking/rejecting may not work the way you want/hope.

SMS blocking/rejecting is done by the SMS app you are using.
The SMS message is always delivered to your phone.
After the message arrives, the SMS app will compare the "from" with the block list.
If the "from" is on the block list, the message will be silently discarded by the SMS app.
If the "from" is not on the block list, the SMS app will store the message in the database and notify you of a new message.

The SMS block list is managed separately from the phone-call block list.

The SMS app I am using is the default that came with Android 5, and it has no blocking feature...neither does the stock phone dialer for that matter. Which is why I'm looking for a replacement. I want to replace the stock SMS app and phone dialer app with something that can block number. When I am in SMS, I want to be able to select a message and block the sender.

I don't want to have to memorize the number, or jot the number down on paper, just so I can launch the phone dialer, and find the number that sent the sms message, to block it. I've been trying various apps, and so far the only app that handles both SMS and phone dialing that I've found is TrueCaller.

However, TrueCaller keep choking every time I try to send an SMS. It appears to send the message, then a few minutes later it reports back that the message was not sent, with no info as to why.

Apps like "Should I Answer" are not replacements, they run in tandem with the stock phone dialer and SMS messenger. They are an extra, and significant drain, on the battery.

Many

EVJWinters

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
You're still seeing them in the messages because you're using a third party to block phone calls. They can only block within app. You need to go into the stock contacts app set it up to block there. The contacts app that came with the phone blocks both SMS and calls.

The stock contact app that comes with Android 5 does not have a block feature, nor does the stock SMS app. Even if it did have a block feature I dislike how difficult it is to block an SMS number. I have to commit the number to memory, or jot it down on paper, then open the contact app, search for the number I've committed to memory, or jotted down, then tag it for block. In today's day and age of technology, I assumed we'd be able to block an unwanted number right from the SMS app.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The stock contact app that comes with Android 5 does not have a block feature, nor does the stock SMS app. Even if it did have a block feature I dislike how difficult it is to block an SMS number. I have to commit the number to memory, or jot it down on paper, then open the contact app, search for the number I've committed to memory, or jotted down, then tag it for block. In today's day and age of technology, I assumed we'd be able to block an unwanted number right from the SMS app.

Probably depends entirely on the phone model. I don't know what your phone model is, but the ones I've handled has the contacts app ability to block both calls and sms even on Android 5. And no you don't have to commit to memory anything. What I used to do was just add create a contact called 'spam', and block it. Every time I receive a message from a number I want to block, I just open the SMS and use the menu in the message to add it to the blocked contact. You're using the technology wrong, that's all.

As it is, it seems your phone has a lot of missing features normally found on other phones. Just download Textra and use that as your SMS app. It has a blacklist feature.

EVJWinters

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Probably depends entirely on the phone model. I don't know what your phone model is, but the ones I've handled has the contacts app ability to block both calls and sms even on Android 5. And no you don't have to commit to memory anything. What I used to do was just add create a contact called 'spam', and block it. Every time I receive a message from a number I want to block, I just open the SMS and use the menu in the message to add it to the blocked contact. You're using the technology wrong, that's all.

As it is, it seems your phone has a lot of missing features normally found on other phones. Just download Textra and use that as your SMS app. It has a blacklist feature.

Hmm that's an interesting idea, So the blocked contact has multiple phone numbers... sounds good... but my Current SMS has no means to add a number to my contact list. I guess that's a limitation of BLU Studio X phones then. It was a gift from my brother. It seemed to be fine phone, does almost everything I really want in a phone, except this blocking of unwanted callers issue.

I'll look into Textra then. Thanks chanchan05