IMAP email on K9 and native app not showing complete inbox, messages come in and disappear

sdstevep

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I first noticed this problem on Tuesday 12/30/2013. I have a Motorola Droid Bionic running Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean), on Verizon. The email account is hosted by GoDaddy.

I'm using IMAP email with both the native client and K9. Neither one shows all the messages of my inbox. I'm not sure but they don't seem to even be showing the same select subset of messages, or maybe they are. On K9, I have watched messages appear in the inbox for a few seconds, and then disappear from the inbox. They don't go to trash, they're just gone. They're still on the email server, however - I can see them using the web email application. It seems like they can disappear even without a refresh happening, but they definitely can disappear upon refresh. A couple times I've been able to actually open and read them, but when I go back to the inbox they're gone. But I'm not sure whether they actually disappear apart from a refresh, so for now they only thing I can be sure of is that they disappear upon refresh.

I don't know whether the native email has the same behavior - I've never seen an email appear there and later disappear. However, on both the native and K9 email apps, the inbox is definitely not showing all messages. I'm talking about the MOST RECENT messages, so it isn't a case of older messages dropping out because I'm only showing the most recent 100 or whatever.

In the native client, I tried removing the account and adding it back in. No effect.

On K9, I tried uninstalling the app, restarting the phone, reinstalling K9. No effect.

I went to the Verizon Store yesterday, 1/1/2014, and the guy there said he'd had one woman come in the day before with a similar problem with a Yahoo email address, but Verizon hasn't yet posted anything on their internal network about it. They guy said he'd make a posting about my case, and if enough people have an issue they'll try to resolve it. He said he'd get back to me in a couple of days to let me know the status.

I'm not finding anything like this through google searches so maybe it's a new problem, or maybe it's just the NSA screwing with me and that other woman.

Ken_GoDaddy

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
@sdstevep,

I am with GoDaddy and came across your post.

Have you continued to have this issue? I am wondering if it might be an issue with the device, your situation is the first that I am hearing of this behavior.

If you are still having this issue please feel free to send me a private message with your email address and I will be happy to look into this further for you.

Geekette#CB

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem with my godaddy email and imap. Is there a solution? I see the email get polled and come in the notification bar. Then when I open either the native app or K9, it does not show up. Polled emails come in hours after they are sent and only one at a time. When I check my webmail godaddy client, there are several emails still on the server not showing in the inboxes.

Ken_GoDaddy

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
@Geekette#CB,

That's very odd. Would you mind sending me a private message with the email settings you are using as well as the device and OS version you have? Additionally if you can include the your email address that will help me further in my review.

Pat Buckley

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Ken at GoDaddy - I too am having the same problem on my Droid Maxx running KitKat 4.4. I've been using K9 for months with no problem and this just started in teh past week or so. Any help would be appreciated. Pat

Ken_GoDaddy

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
@Pat Buckley,

Thank you for your reply.

Can you follow up with me via private message with the email address and the email settings you are using? This will help me further in my review of your email issues.

Thanks

mgwilkerson

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
@sdstevep,

Have you continued to have this issue? I am wondering if it might be an issue with the device, your situation is the first that I am hearing of this behavior.

If you are still having this issue please feel free to send me a private message with your email address and I will be happy to look into this further for you.

Ken_GoDaddy

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
@mgwilkerson,

Thanks for your response. There can be a myriad of factors for why you could be experiencing this issue. (Device, OS version, app version etc.)

Can you follow up with me with the exact device, OS version and application you are using via a private message? Once received I'll look into your issue further and follow up with you.

TomHexor

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Same issue...this has been happening for a few months now. GoDaddy email in IMAP, using K-9...seems issue is with K-9. Email notification comes in...sometimes I can get the message right away in K-9...if I wait the message will be gone....and come back in 2+ hours. I can even catch it and reply ...then it is gone for two+ hours....and then come back as read.
I have tried many things in K-9 but still can't get this resolved.

If anyone has an answer...please post.

Ken_GoDaddy

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
@TomHexor,

It does sound like the issue may be due to K9. Have you tried the stock email application? If so does the same behavior happen in webmail? When messages disappear, can you log into webmail to see if they are still present in the inbox? If so, that may rule out the email server as being the culprit.

Feel free to follow up with me with more information regarding your device, Android version and email account and I'll be happy to look into this further for you.

Andnote

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Same issue...this has been happening for a month now. GoDaddy email with IMAP, tried stock email app, K9, AquaMail, Cloud Magic, all the same result. Email notification comes in...same as other posters. If I refresh the email app, the messages go away. Seems to sync up messages over a month or two old that are still in inbox, but not any messages that are newer. All other folders sync fine (Outbox, sent, trash, etc). Android 4.3 running on Samsung Note 2. Messages are still in the GD webmail inbox. Called support at GD and he assured me it was the email client on my phone.
Hope this helps.

Ken_GoDaddy

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
@Andnote,

Thanks for your reply. Do you use your email via a email client on your computer as well? If so do you experience the same behavior.

Do you mind following up with me directly via private message with additional information about your email account? I'll be happy to look into this further for you.

domdorris

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi there. Still got the disappearing new email issue? I turned off 'notification checks for unread messages' or whatever its called in account settings>notifications. Seems to have worked for me!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
AquaMail developer here.

In the "missing messages" scenario, GoDaddy's IMAP servers returns data that's inconsistent over time and inconsistent with itself.

I have proof of this from debug logs collected by my users.

This has been going on for years, affecting pretty much any mail app, but especially mobile apps which, by design, sync a limited number of recent messages (as opposed to the entire mailbox, like desktop mail apps can afford to). The usual response from support, as far as I know, is "it's your mail app".

Bull****.

@Andnote above mentions four different mail apps, unrelated to each other. What do they all have in common? One thing: he used them with the same mail account, and that account is at GoDaddy.

Here is one specific example, short and easy to follow:

https://plus.google.com/+KostyaVasilyev/posts/XyrxcUMVsvu

@Ken_GoDaddy: I'd like to see you try to explain it in terms of "exact device, OS version".

I have another log (longer and more elaborate) in front of me that shows the "missing messages" scenario.

In this log, the server returns wrong (smaller) value for how many messages exist in a folder (Inbox).

Mobile mail apps, including mine, often "count back" from a folder's number of messages, in order to sync X most recent messages (as I already mentioned above).

When the EXISTS value returned by the server is lower than the actual value, it means that so many recent messages will not be considered / seen by the mail app.

And that's exactly what the "symptoms" are.

Edward Cushing

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I just recently started having this same issue. This is not good. I too believe this is a IMAP Godaddy issue. I rely on this for business. When will Godaddy fix this Ken? I operate a Galaxy S4 and everything updated. The notifications pop up with new email, I go to the inbox and they flash on and then disappear. Yet when I log into Godaddy Webmail, they are in my inbox. It isn't the phone. I've deleted K9 and reinstalled. No change.

lithoman23

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I just recently started having this same issue. This is not good. I too believe this is a IMAP Godaddy issue. I rely on this for business. When will Godaddy fix this Ken? I operate a Galaxy S4 and everything updated. The notifications pop up with new email, I go to the inbox and they flash on and then disappear. Yet when I log into Godaddy Webmail, they are in my inbox. It isn't the phone. I've deleted K9 and reinstalled. No change.

DITTO...I need this fixed. I have a copy of my godaddy work email sent to my gmail account to get new godaddy work email. then, when I reply to clients it comes from my personal gmail account!! Makes me look unprofessional..

Oh yeah...forget using stock email. it updates go daddy when it feels like it...around 4 to 5 hours later. Of course this is only with go daddy email.:(

Ken_GoDaddy

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
All,

Thanks for your posts about the IMAP issues you are experiencing.

I am reviewing these items with our email teams.

I am happy to hear that it is not actually removing the emails from the server. I am not stating there is not an issue, but because your emails are, still in the inbox. It may be more of an issue with how the application is talking to our email server.

Once I have more information I will follow up.