In Screen Fingerprint Sensor vs. Backside Fingerprint Sensor--What's Your Method?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a Pixel 5a and previously had a 2XL. The fingerprint sensor is located on the backside of the phone and is a different style sensor. I found it to be virtually 100% effective and easy to use. In fact, I wonder how people have adapted to the fingerprint sensor on the frontside and embedded in the screen as on the Pixel 6 line of phones.

I keep my phone in my front right pants pocket, with screen side toward my thigh. I grew quite accustomed to reaching in my pocket, placing the fingertip of my index finger into the backside sensor and pulling the already unlocked phone out of my pocket. It was neat, clean procedure, and done in one uninterrupted motion.

But with the Pixel 6 phones, if you keep the phone in your front pants pocket, what is the routine now?

1. Pull out your phone in one hand, hold it up in front of you, then place the tip of your thumb on the other hand onto the screen's fingerprint sensor?

2. Stick your hand in your pocket and while withdrawing the phone place your thumb on the area of the screen where you guess the fingerprint sensor is located?

3. Some other method.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Just hold it and press on the little symbol that flashes up on the screen. I went from a front ultrasonic fps on my S10+ to a rear mounted on the Pixel 4a 5G and now to an optical on Pixel 6 Pro. I don’t mind any format. I even have a front physical fps on my iPhone 8 Plus. I am used to using the fps wherever it is put. As long as I have one I don’t mind how or where it is.

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I liked the backside reader on the Pixel 5.

The advantage of the newer one is that you don't have to pick up the phone in order to unlock it.

No matter what manufactures do, someone will complain.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I liked the backside reader on the Pixel 5.

The advantage of the newer one is that you don't have to pick up the phone in order to unlock it.

No matter what manufactures do, someone will complain.

Well, you pretty much have to pick it up if you want to do anything with it, so what's the advantage of letting it lie on your desk or table?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Just hold it and press on the little symbol that flashes up on the screen. I went from a front ultrasonic fps on my S10+ to a rear mounted on the Pixel 4a 5G and now to an optical on Pixel 6 Pro. I don’t mind any format. I even have a front physical fps on my iPhone 8 Plus. I am used to using the fps wherever it is put. As long as I have one I don’t mind how or where it is.
I'm pretty much the same as you. I pretty much adapt to using the fps wherever it is located. I do require one, though. I wouldn't consider a phone that doesn't have one.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I don't mind the front fps on my Pixel 6 Pro but I still prefer the back fps of my Pixel 4a. It is multi-functional, a fps, and to swipe down for the notifications and then swipe up to dismiss. I miss that.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I prefer the front screen because if it's laying on the desk I don't need to pick it up or if it's on a stand then just press and look at the phone...

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
My P5 had a better FPS on the back. I prefer that 100% accuracy. Not much of an option , my preference...I'm stuck with P6's...

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for people's routines to unlock/open their Pixel 6 if it is kept in your pocket. What is your technique? One handed? Two handed? Thumb print? Fingertip print?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I prefer to keep my phone in my shirt pocket or suit breast pocket rather than a pants pocket. For me it's less apt to get damaged and it's also easier for me to reach and use. I only buy T shirts with a front pocket just for my phone.

The front sensor on my Pixel 6 Pro is just as reliable as the back sensor on my Pixel 3XL was. It took a week to retrain my muscle memory and now I much prefer the front sensor on my Pixel 6 Pro.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't have the Pixel, yet; however, I will hazard to guess I will use my right thumb since that is what I used for a (very) short time with a Samsung S20. However, I normally carry in the right rear pocket or if I have my super heavy winter coat on, a top right outside pocket.

But going from a rear FPS to a under screen FPS to a facial rec you will find your own way to use the sensor and after a few days will be as normal as breathing.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I prefer face id myself works faster and better on the iPhone then any other phone.

I will totally agree. Not so much with the iPhone since never had one; however, the facial rec on my pixel 4XL works great. That's one reason why I would love for the P6P to get it similar to that supplied on the S21U.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It's my understanding that the camera requirement for facial recognition is already in place. All that is needed is the software implementation. Does anyone have any more information on that?

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I'm looking for people's routines to unlock/open their Pixel 6 if it is kept in your pocket. What is your technique? One handed? Two handed? Thumb print? Fingertip print?
I hold my phone in my left hand even though I'm right handed..left thumb mostly when in pockets...right pointer when on phone stand ..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred