[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

WHere do I see this upgrade transfer on my account. I have looked everywhere and all I get is a message about not being able to make changes at this time to my account online, please call. Been this way since January or so. How do I find this missing transfer button?

Trying logging in from another computer or phone. I have seen that message when I logged from certain locations. When I logged in at home it was not there. I can also change it from my phone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Radjazz

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

I haved tried from multiple phones, computers, tablets, locations, etc. Going to go to the retail store and see if I can get them to log me in correctly. Not sure what is going on. I am the main account on the list so I know I can make changes.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

How many of your lines are upgrade eligible? They can't be eligible for an upgrade in order to transfer an upgrade from another line to them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Need some advice. My fianc?e is on a tired plan with 3 lines. She had 1 eligible upgrade. I have my own plan which is a single unlimited. How do I use her upgrade?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

scooby8611

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

I am still a little bit confused on how this works.

I have the following...

Line 1- Unlimited data and eligible for upgrade
Line 2- Unlimited data and eligible for upgrade
Line 3- 2gb plan iPhone just upgraded
Line 4- No data, just a normal phone...eligible for upgrade

Is there a way for me to upgrade Lines 1 and 2? If I use the upgrade for line 4, do I have to keep some sort of data plan on it even though that line will turn back to using a dummy phone? And also, can I still purchase through a secondary dealer or do I have to do it through Verizon wireless where the phones cost more? I am thinking about S4s or HTC ones...or maybe the upcoming LG phone

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I am still a little bit confused on how this works.

I have the following...

Line 1- Unlimited data and eligible for upgrade
Line 2- Unlimited data and eligible for upgrade
Line 3- 2gb plan iPhone just upgraded
Line 4- No data, just a normal phone...eligible for upgrade

Is there a way for me to upgrade Lines 1 and 2? If I use the upgrade for line 4, do I have to keep some sort of data plan on it even though that line will turn back to using a dummy phone? And also, can I still purchase through a secondary dealer or do I have to do it through Verizon wireless where the phones cost more?

You would have to use line 3. you can't transfer to line 4 since it is eligible for an upgrade.

If you wish to use line 4,you must upgrade that line first. You can put a dumb phone back on the line afterwards, data can be removed for dumb phone.

You can use some third party like Costco and best buy. Some other third party may charge you a $400 secondary etf if you move the phone even to another line on the same account.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

scooby8611

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

You would have to use line 3. you can't transfer to line 4 since it is eligible for an upgrade.

If you wish to use line 4,you must upgrade that line first. You can put a dumb phone back on the line afterwards, data can be removed for dumb phone.

You can use some third party like Costco and best buy. Some other third party may charge you a $400 secondary etf if you move the phone even to another line on the same account.

Awesome, thx

kincaidinator

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

I have one more question. If I use the upgrade on my dumb phone line to get a Moto X, can I just pop the sim out of my iPhone 5 into it and keep my unlimited? Or do I have to activate it on the dumb phone line first?

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

Okay,
I think I've got it;

Family share plan
Line 1 - Grandfathered unlimited data. HTC Thunderbolt Eligible for upgrade. This is the line I want to upgrade
Line 2 - 2gb smartphone. Eligible for updgrade
Lines 3-4 - regular phones, none eligible for updgrade.

1) Transfer Line 1 updgrade to line 3.
2) Purchasee and active new smartphone on line 3 - Motorola Razr M
3) Follow steps over the past few pages to then cancel data on line 3
4) put sim from old line 1 in new phone. Activate new phone on line 1
5) Reactivate regular phone on line 3.

Ideally I can do this all online.
It may take about 15 minutes or so for new phone to be fully active on line 1.

Question,
Does anyone know if Target has the stipulations or caveats that Wirefly does, or should it flow like VZW corporate store, Best Buy, Costco, etc?

TIA

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Okay,
I think I've got it;

Family share plan
Line 1 - Grandfathered unlimited data. HTC Thunderbolt Eligible for upgrade. This is the line I want to upgrade
Line 2 - 2gb smartphone. Eligible for updgrade
Lines 3-4 - regular phones, none eligible for updgrade.

1) Transfer Line 1 updgrade to line 3.
2) Purchasee and active new smartphone on line 3 - Motorola Razr M
3) Follow steps over the past few pages to then cancel data on line 3
4) put sim from old line 1 in new phone. Activate new phone on line 1
5) Reactivate regular phone on line 3.

Ideally I can do this all online.
It may take about 15 minutes or so for new phone to be fully active on line 1.

Question,
Does anyone know if Target has the stipulations or caveats that Wirefly does, or should it flow like VZW corporate store, Best Buy, Costco, etc?

TIA

Target is fulfilled by Simplexity, Wirefly is Simplexity's store front. So yes, similar terms

gotwillk

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site

ok i think i got the gist of this works. i'm thinking of an upgrade real soon but i have a couple of questions.

This my current Family Plan and all lines are eligible for upgrade:

Line A - mine (smartphone)
Line B - sister's (smartphone)
Line C - mom's (dumbphone)

if i used Line C to do the upgrade for Line A, that uses up the upgrade for Line C right? how do i use Line C again to upgrade Line B? also, after i upgrade my phone on Line A using this trick, does that use up the upgrade on Line A as well? so for example, after all this, i would have used up the upgrades for Line A and C?

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

Target is fulfilled by Simplexity, Wirefly is Simplexity's store front. So yes, similar terms

Ouch!
Thanks. That could've turned out poorly.

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Need some advice. My fianc?e is on a tired plan with 3 lines. She had 1 eligible upgrade. I have my own plan which is a single unlimited. How do I use her upgrade?

Any help? I'm ready to order the X ;) so anxious!

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Just have her order the phone on her account. Activate it and give it to you. Then you can activate it on your account and keep unlimited. Congrats on your engagement.

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Just have her order the phone on her account. Activate it and give it to you. Then you can activate it on your account and keep unlimited. Congrats on your engagement.

LOL. Thank you.

Once activated then do we just reactivate her old phone again? Then I activate mine with new X?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Yup. You got it. Just make sure she activates the subsidized phone on her account first. Did you agree to marry her before or after you found out she had an available upgrade? LOL. :)

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Yup. You got it. Just make sure she activates the subsidized phone on her account first. Did you agree to marry her before or after you found out she had an available upgrade? LOL. :)

Obviously after ;) inbox me!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Ouch!
Thanks. That could've turned out poorly.

Yeah, anything fulfilled by Simplexity has those terms. This includes Wirefly, Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, Dell, Target, Overstock, Frys, Newegg, Sears, Sam's Club, circuitcity.com, TigerDirect.com, hhgregg, and Microsoft, and perhaps others.

Note that some people report that some of these third party do not enforce the rule about moving phones around. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance though, as if the do, you are sol. Especially since best buy does pm, and some cc's do pm. They will disclose that they are fulfilled by Simplexity in the terms, or sometimes just Google the name plus Simplexity and you will find the affiliation

Radjazz

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

How many of your lines are upgrade eligible? They can't be eligible for an upgrade in order to transfer an upgrade from another line to them.

Line 1- Unlimited with upgrade
Line 2- 2GB no upgrade until January 2014
Line 3- 4GB for 2GB price no upgrade until April 2014
Line 4- Home line no upgraade till 2015 (used this to upgrade line 2 back in October last year before the change in transfers between device types)

This is why I really want to get the upgrade done. In January I can upgrade 1 line, but we are considering dropping it and moving it to T-mo. Then Line 3 is my son's and he will be moving off the account next year as well. So I am needing to get this upgrade transferred and used soon.

desisangel

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

If you go to upgrade device, do you not have the option of Transfer Upgrade? It's in blue letters and placed right above Recycle Your Old Device.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1377817446993.jpg
    1377817446993.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 1377817595314.jpg
    1377817595314.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 47

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members