[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

jordanz4sale

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Am I missing something? If 1 Phone has Unlimited (with upgrade avail) and 1 Dumbphone (with upgrade avail) - all under same account...

If you upgrade the Dumbphone to a 4G phone of your liking and then transfer it over to the unlimited line.. Aren't you still paying the monthly new $30 Data that's now associated to the dumbphone even after you've switched over the subsidized phone to the unlimited?

How do you now circumvent the Dataplan charges that were required on the upgraded (previously Dumb Phone) plan?

Thanks in advance.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Am I missing something? If 1 Phone has Unlimited (with upgrade avail) and 1 Dumbphone (with upgrade avail) - all under same account...

If you upgrade the Dumbphone to a 4G phone of your liking and then transfer it over to the unlimited line.. Aren't you still paying the monthly new $30 Data that's now associated to the dumbphone even after you've switched over the subsidized phone to the unlimited?

How do you now circumvent the Dataplan charges that were required on the upgraded (previously Dumb Phone) plan?

Thanks in advance.

The data charge can be dropped as soon as you put a dumb phone back on the line

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

kincaidinator

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

Okay here's my situation:
2 grandfathered unlimited data lines up for upgrades
1 dumb phone line with an upgrade
I ordered the Moto X today with the upgrade on the dumb phone line and it should be here tomorrow. Do I need to activate it on the dumb phone line first, and then move it to my grandfathered unlimited line. Or can I just put in the sim from my iPhone 5 as soon as I get it and still keep my unlimited data on that line? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jordanz4sale

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

The data charge can be dropped as soon as you put a dumb phone back on the line

Thank you! Can re-adding the basic phone AND dropping the data on the dumb phone line be done all online? If so, I presume it is easiest as you would not have to deal with questions why you activated the New Phone on the Dumb Phone line.. only to revert back to the Basic Phone minutes later.. Youve been a great help.

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Thank you! Can re-adding the basic phone AND dropping the data on the dumb phone line be done all online? If so, I presume it is easiest as you would not have to deal with questions why you activated the New Phone on the Dumb Phone line.. only to revert back to the Basic Phone minutes later.. Youve been a great help.

Yes you should be able tondo it all in my Verizon. Sometimes though people do run into issues switching the basic line back and dropping the data so it does require a call to Verizon if it does that. They won't ask questions though if they do just say you want to switch your device that's all they need to know.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

I thought if you made ANY changes to your plan (regardless of which line you chose and it's available upgrade status) you'd lose unlimited data on all lines on your account.

I also thought when you bought that subsidized smartphone (on the feature phone line), you'd be locked under contract for two years for that data plan.

Am I wrong on both points? It'd be great if I am.

My personal situation.

Line 1: Unlimited Data
Line 2: Unlimited Data
Line 3: Feature Phone -upgrade available
Line 4: Feature Phone -upgrade available

So I add 2GB data plan to line 4, order the subsidized smartphone of my choice, activate it on line 4. Then reactivate old feature phone on line 4, and activate new smartphone on Line 1. That really works? Seems like they'd close that loophole in a hurry.

PS. Haven't read through the entire thread yet...just thought I'd ask.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AC Forums mobile app

adlx21

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

Question....after doing this loophole, I now need to claim my warranty. Looks like my screen died on me and its past 30 days. My question is how do I go about in claiming the warranty on my S4(the one with the unlimited plan)? Will I have to put the S4 phone onto the dummy line I originally used to upgrade? If so, I'm thinking I will lose my unlimited plan. Any help please. Thanks

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Okay here's my situation:
2 grandfathered unlimited data lines up for upgrades
1 dumb phone line with an upgrade
I ordered the Moto X today with the upgrade on the dumb phone line and it should be here tomorrow. Do I need to activate it on the dumb phone line first, and then move it to my grandfathered unlimited line. Or can I just put in the sim from my iPhone 5 as soon as I get it and still keep my unlimited data on that line? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, activate it on the line you upgraded first. Then reactivate the dumb phone, then you can activate it on the line you want.

Anopy1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

I'm doing this today for the first time. Is there a certain amount of time that I have to wait between activating the new phone on the dumb line and then activating on my unlimited line. I thought I read somewhere that you have to wait 24 hours?

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I'm doing this today for the first time. Is there a certain amount of time that I have to wait between activating the new phone on the dumb line and then activating on my unlimited line. I thought I read somewhere that you have to wait 24 hours?

Posted via Android Central App

Nope.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Question....after doing this loophole, I now need to claim my warranty. Looks like my screen died on me and its past 30 days. My question is how do I go about in claiming the warranty on my S4(the one with the unlimited plan)? Will I have to put the S4 phone onto the dummy line I originally used to upgrade? If so, I'm thinking I will lose my unlimited plan. Any help please. Thanks

If you bought it from Costco, you can cancel exchange it for a new phone within 90 days of purchase. Direct through Verizon is only 14 days, and afterwards you will get a refurbished.

If you are outside your exchange period and you don't have extended warranty, try to contact Verizon, they may agree to warranty it on your line. Otherwise activate it on the other line.

Also, if the phone has physical damage like cracked screen, Verizon may charge you several hundred dollars. Be sure to disclose any physical damage, if any, when requesting warranty service.

adlx21

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

Can't I just go to a Verizon store and show them what's the problem and request a new phone through the mfr warranty? And when you say to activate the S4 back on the dummy line, will I need a 4g phone to replace mine in order not to lose unlimited?

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Will this work if you got a phone with the New Edge program as well.

If you used edge an alternate line you should be able to swap it to a new line.

That said I think edge is a rip off. You lose your subsidy and they will only give you 50 percent of the value of the phone on a trade in. If you have an upgrade available you should use that.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Can't I just go to a Verizon store and show them what's the problem and request a new phone through the mfr warranty? And when you say to activate the S4 back on the dummy line, will I need a 4g phone to replace mine in order not to lose unlimited?

You cant go to the store they no longer do tech support it is all handled through customer support. You won't need to switch your phone back over. They can see by the imei number when it was purchased, they'll ship you a CLN replacement and you'll send that one back all free of charge.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

My transfer and order are complete, waiting until next Wednesday or Thursday for it to arrive then will effect the activation sequence.

JanzC

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site

I successfully upgraded to an HTC One following the steps outlined on this thread. Had 4 lines, an upgrade on the non-smartphone line which I used to upgrade, activated phone on that line, then transferred to my unlimited data line. Many thanks to everyone that has posted instructions.

Now that this worked, I have a question. My unlimited line also has an upgrade available, which I didn't use because the dumb line had one available. Can I transfer this upgrade from my unlimited line to the dumb line that I just used the upgrade on and get yet another phone at the contract price? Not sure if Verizon allows two upgrades on the same line in quick succession.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201