[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Okay, so I've researched this topic a bit more and I think I got it for the most part. Let me reiterate:

Line 1: Unlimited - Galaxy Nexus - (with upgrade)
Line 2: Unlimited (no upgrade)
Line 3: iPhone with 2 GB plan (mom's phone)

1. First, I transfer the upgrade from Line 1 to Line 3. I upgrade the iPhone to the Moto X.
  2. When it gets here, I activate it on Line 3. Make sure a call goes through.
  3. Then, reactivate the iPhone.

This is where I'm concerned:

Then I go online, and go to the Switch Device page. I select the device on Line 1 and then click next. I then see a section entitled "Replace your current device by activating one without service." and select the bubble with "I am activating a device that I previously used with this account." The new Moto X should appear on the device history drop down box.

Now, after going through all that, will the SIM in the Moto X be linked to Line 1 or Line 3? I think I'll need to get a new SIM from Verizon or cut my SIM down to a Nano manually somehow. Is this correct?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

This is where some have had a slight hiccup. When some have put their dumb phone back on line 3 sometimes it seems like the SIM is still associated with line 3 and when you try to put that now free'd phone on line 1 it says it is still associated with another account. Usually a call to Verizon tech support and they will quickly free it up and you can put it on line #1. Others have resolved the problem by taking the SIM out of the line #1 phone and putting it in the new phone or another SIM they happen to have. But then others have had no such problem.

My theory and it's only speculation, nothing confirmed, is that there is kind of a bug in the system. When you put a smartphone on line #3 both the CDMA part and LTE part are associated with the line. The LTE part is associated with the SIM. If you put a dumb phone on the line #3 replacing the smartphone the CDMA part is free'd from line #3 but the LTE/SIM is still associated with line #3 and that is why if it has that SIM it has a problem being activated on line #1. When you call tech support they disassociated line #3 from the SIM which is how it gets free'd up to activate on line #1. To test my theory I would predict that if you put a 4G LTE back on line #3 instead of a dumb phone (not sure which iPhone you have but if it is a 4S I predict it would work) it would free up the CDMA part and the 4G part and that phone would have no problem activating on line #1. EIther way it's not a big problem, never had a problem calling Verizon to free up the new phone at this step if the problem occurs.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

This is awesome! Hopefully this will work for me with:

Line 1: Unlimited (with upgrade)
Line 2: Unlimited (no upgrade)
Line 3: iPhone with 2 GB plan (mom's phone)

So essentially, I transfer the upgrade to Line 3, order the phone online, activate the phone on that line, then transfer the phone to Line 1.

The only question I have is that the phone I wanted to upgrade to was the Moto X. I heard it uses a nano sim of some kind, do you think this will be an issue when activating the phone on the line with the iPhone and then transferring it to Line 1? (Galaxy Nexus)

There should not be any issues.

If the iPhone is the 5, then it uses a nano sim also. You can get a new nano sim from Verizon or just cut your sim down to the nano size. Quick Google search will get you directions on how to do it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

D4rkShaDoWz

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

There should not be any issues.

If the iPhone is the 5, then it uses a nano sim also. You can get a new nano sim from Verizon or just cut your sim down to the nano size. Quick Google search will get you directions on how to do it.

It's the iPhone 4S that I'm transferring the upgrade to. Basically, there's no way to switch the nano SIM that came with the Moto X from Line 3 to Line 1, right? I'll have to go to a store and buy a new SIM for my phone or cut my current one manually. How much do the SIMs from Verizon cost?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

It's the iPhone 4S that I'm transferring the upgrade to. Basically, there's no way to switch the nano SIM that came with the Moto X from Line 3 to Line 1, right? I'll have to go to a store and buy a new SIM for my phone or cut my current one manually. How much do the SIMs from Verizon cost?

I did this 3 or 4 months ago now and didn't have to get a new SIM card. Once I reactivated the old phone then activated the new phone on the unlimited line. Did it without putting in a new SIM and have had no problems since.

Tapatalk mofo

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I think if you have a problem activating it on Line #1 (not everyone does, actually many don't) just call Verizon and tell the CSR you want to activate the phone that is no longer on line #3 on line #1 and the will free it up and it can activate. Takes like 5 minutes to get to a CSR and about 5 minutes for them to do it. Lot less trouble than waiting in line at the Verizon store.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I did this 3 or 4 months ago now and didn't have to get a new SIM card. Once I reactivated the old phone then activated the new phone on the unlimited line. Did it without putting in a new SIM and have had no problems since.

Tapatalk mofo

What type of old phone did you reactivate on the line to free up the new phone? Was the upgrade already on that line or did you transfer an upgrade from an unlimited line to that line? There seems to be varying experiences, I haven't pinpointed why. Maybe it is just something in the Verizon system.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

What type of old phone did you reactivate on the line to free up the new phone? Was the upgrade already on that line or did you transfer an upgrade from an unlimited line to that line? There seems to be varying experiences, I haven't pinpointed why. Maybe it is just something in the Verizon system.

It was a transfer from a unlimited line to a 2G line. The old phone was a iPhone 4 (stepson) and the new phone a iPhone5 (wife). Did the transfer and getting new phone on the store, did the other as soon as I got home on the website.

Tapatalk mofo

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

It was a transfer from a unlimited line to a 2G line. The old phone was a iPhone 4 (stepson) and the new phone a iPhone5 (wife). Did the transfer and getting new phone on the store, did the other as soon as I got home on the website.

Tapatalk mofo

Interesting, guess that blows my theory. I'm not sure why some people have had trouble getting the new phone back activated onto the unlimited line, doesn't seem consistent. Some people, have no problem, some do but all it takes is a call to Verizon to clear it up if you do have a problem, or just swap the sim. Perhaps it's specific for some phone models. I had the problem with my Galaxy Nexus, I think once I just waiting and it worked the next day, once I called and they cleared it up in 5 minutes.

D4rkShaDoWz

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Thanks guys so much for the help! I guess I'll order my Moto X soon.

It's crazy that this loophole is even in effect, but it's worth doing it to get something additional for the same price. I rarely ever use over 2 GB of data but I'd like to have the unlimited as reassurance that I can tether and download stuff if I need to.

EDIT:

One more question (sorry): What happens when I transfer the upgrade to Line 3? Does Line 1 get the upgrade date for the Line 3? I don't want to screw my mom out of a phone upgrade! haha.

Once again guys, thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Thanks guys so much for the help! I guess I'll order my Moto X soon.

It's crazy that this loophole is even in effect, but it's worth doing it to get something additional for the same price. I rarely ever use over 2 GB of data but I'd like to have the unlimited as reassurance that I can tether and download stuff if I need to.

EDIT:

One more question (sorry): What happens when I transfer the upgrade to Line 3? Does Line 1 get the upgrade date for the Line 3? I don't want to screw my mom out of a phone upgrade! haha.

Once again guys, thanks a lot!

The line that the transfer is from loses its upgrade. The line that the transfer is to would keep its original upgrade date.

eddie33081

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site

Hey everyone.

Just need to clarify a few things.
Here is my Setup.

Unlimited Data Line 1 - Upgrade Available on 08/25/13 - Upgrade at a discounted price
Unlimited Data LIne 2 - Upgrade Available on 09/24/14 - Upgrade at Full Price
Dumb Phone Line 3 - Upgrade Available on 01/12/12 - Upgrade at a discounted price

My Real Goal is to Upgrade Line 1. I can upgrade both Unlimited Lines (my wife's line) if necessary of course.

1. Since Line 1 has an upgrade I cannot upgrade Line 3 and transfer it without losing my Unlimited Data, Correct?

2. If #1 is true, I should then upgrade Line 3 and Transfer it to Line 2. I then Transfer line 1 upgrade to Line 3. Then transfer back to Line 1?

3. Let me know what scenarios would work with my setup above!

Thanks!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Hey everyone.

Just need to clarify a few things.
Here is my Setup.

Unlimited Data Line 1 - Upgrade Available on 08/25/13 - Upgrade at a discounted price
Unlimited Data LIne 2 - Upgrade Available on 09/24/14 - Upgrade at Full Price
Dumb Phone Line 3 - Upgrade Available on 01/12/12 - Upgrade at a discounted price

My Real Goal is to Upgrade Line 1. I can upgrade both Unlimited Lines (my wife's line) if necessary of course.

1. Since Line 1 has an upgrade I cannot upgrade Line 3 and transfer it without losing my Unlimited Data, Correct?

2. If #1 is true, I should then upgrade Line 3 and Transfer it to Line 2. I then Transfer line 1 upgrade to Line 3. Then transfer back to Line 1?

3. Let me know what scenarios would work with my setup above!

Thanks!

If you only want to use one upgrade, you can either transfer the upgrade from line 1 to line 2, upgrade 2, activate new device on 2, reactivate old device on 2, activate new device on 1 OR no transfer, upgrade line 3, reactivate dumb phone on 3, activate new phone on 1. The second way sounds much simpler to me, and as it doesn't involve any transferring of upgrades, is the safest for your unlimited.

eddie33081

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site

If you only want to use one upgrade, you can either transfer the upgrade from line 1 to line 2, upgrade 2, activate new device on 2, reactivate old device on 2, activate new device on 1 OR no transfer, upgrade line 3, reactivate dumb phone on 3, activate new phone on 1. The second way sounds much simpler to me, and as it doesn't involve any transferring of upgrades, is the safest for your unlimited.

Thanks for the quick reply. Two questions on what you said.

1. First Scenario: Wouldnt that lose my Unlimited Data on Line 2 since I will be doing the upgrade on it after transferring.

2. 2nd Scenario: Since I did not transfer my upgrade on Line 1 and it was Eligible. I've read that I will lose my unlimited since it had an upgrade available.

3. Also in what scenario can I upgrade Line 1 and 2 and keep unlimited data for both.

Thanks!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

. First Scenario: Wouldnt that lose my Unlimited Data on Line 2 since I will be doing the upgrade on it after transferring.

Good point.

2nd Scenario: Since I did not transfer my upgrade on Line 1 and it was Eligible. I've read that I will lose my unlimited since it had an upgrade available.

I haven't heard this, as far as I know you can change which phone is on your line without doing an upgrade at any time you want. Probably a good customer service question, but that's exactly what we're doing with the transfer upgrade system.

Also in what scenario can I upgrade Line 1 and 2 and keep unlimited data for both.

Scenario 2 using the dumb line is the only one that allows for keeping unlimited on both.

Any further upgrades after that you could route through line 3 to retain unlimited on those first two.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I don't think you want to transfer upgrade to line 2 and do the upgrade. Won't you lose unlimited data on line 2? You'd either use the upgrade on line 3 and activate it on 3. Take it off and put it on 1 or 2. Or transfer upgrade from 1 to 3 and do the upgrade and then move to 1 or 2.

Posted via Android Central App

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the quick reply. Two questions on what you said.

1. First Scenario: Wouldnt that lose my Unlimited Data on Line 2 since I will be doing the upgrade on it after transferring.

2. 2nd Scenario: Since I did not transfer my upgrade on Line 1 and it was Eligible. I've read that I will lose my unlimited since it had an upgrade available.

3. Also in what scenario can I upgrade Line 1 and 2 and keep unlimited data for both.

Thanks!

I think best way is use line 3 upgrade then move new phone to line 2. Then move line 1 upgrade to line 3 upgrade again then move new phone back to line 1.

eddie33081

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site

I don't think you want to transfer upgrade to line 2 and do the upgrade. Won't you lose unlimited data on line 2? You'd either use the upgrade on line 3 and activate it on 3. Take it off and put it on 1 or 2. Or transfer upgrade from 1 to 3 and do the upgrade and then move to 1 or 2.

So this sounds what I should do then to upgrade both.

Upgrade Line 3, activate. Move to Line 2. Transfer Line 1 Upgrade to Line 3. Upgrade Line 3 Again and Move to Line 1.

Can anyone verify this would work. Feels fairly shady to do it twice. lol.

Also, Can anyone verify it is OK to move Line 3's upgrade to Line 1 while Line 1 is still available for an upgrade? I thought I read a few people say you cannot do that. This is if I only wanted to upgrade line 1.

Thanks!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

So this sounds what I should do then to upgrade both.

Upgrade Line 3, activate. Move to Line 1. Transfer Line 1 Upgrade to Line 3. Upgrade Line 3 Again and Move to Line 2.

Can anyone verify this would work. Feels fairly shady to do it twice. lol.

Also, Can anyone verify it is OK to move Line 3's upgrade to Line 1 while Line 1 is still available for an upgrade? I thought I read a few people say you cannot do that.

Thanks!

If your'e doing both this is close, but safest would be upgrade line 3, activate, move to line 2. Transfer line 1 upgrade to 3, upgrade 3, move to line 1. That way you're avoiding the questionable area entirely.

eddie33081

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site

If your'e doing both this is close, but safest would be upgrade line 3, activate, move to line 2. Transfer line 1 upgrade to 3, upgrade 3, move to line 1. That way you're avoiding the questionable area entirely.

Alright Cool. Changed my post above as that is what I meant just wrote it out wrong.

And to be safe on a singular upgrade of Line 1. I move Line 1 to Line 2. Upgrade Line 3 and Move Line 3 to Line 1.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Alright Cool. Changed my post above as that is what I meant just wrote it out wrong.

And to be safe on a singular upgrade of Line 1. I move Line 1 to Line 2. Upgrade Line 3 and Move Line 3 to Line 1.

You can't just move the upgrade from line 1 to 2 and just leave it there, once you move the upgrade you then have to use it otherwise if you interrupt the process the upgrade goes back to line 1. You should be able to just exercise the upgrade on line 3 and then move to line 1 leaving line 1 upgrade there to use another day.